Evaluate my Training Routine

I just wanted some feedback if my training methodology is an effective. Not sure if I am overtraining or undertraining. Progress is static. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Weight Training Program

Mon - Back and Abs

Warm-up: 5 mins of Elliptical Trainer and 70 push-ups

Weighted Pull-ups: 4 sets of 6 to 8 reps
Deadlifts: 5 sets of 15-12-8-6-6 reps (increasing load)
T-Bar/BB row: 3 sets of 12-8-6 reps (increasing load. Last set dropset)
One Arm DB Bench row/Horizontal Hammer row: 3 sets of 12-8-6 reps (increasing load)
Lat pulldown/cable row/straight arm pulldown: 3 sets of 12 reps

Total sets: 18 sets

Abs: 3 Giant sets

Tue - Chest

Flat bench DB press: 1 warm-up set; 4 sets of 6 to 8 reps
Incline bench DB press: 4 sets of 8 to 10 reps
Weighted Dips/Decline BB press: 4 sets of 8 to 10 reps
Cable cross-over: 3 sets of 12 reps
Incline DB flys/Machine Flys: 3 sets of 12 reps

Wed - Legs and Abs

Warm-up: 5 mins of Bike and 20 bodyweight lunges and squats

BB Squats: 5 sets of 15-12-8-6-6 (increasing load)
Leg Press/Hack Squats: 3 sets of 10-8-6 (increasing load)
Split Squats/Leg Extension: 3 sets of 8 reps
Stiff Legged Deadlift/Seated Ham curls: 4 sets of 12-10-8-8 (increasing load)
Lying Leg curls: 3 sets of 6 to 8 reps
Standing calf raises: 4 sets of 15 reps
Seated calf raises: 4 sets of 15 reps

Total Quad sets: 11 sets
Total Ham sets: 7 sets
Total Calf sets: 8 sets

Thu - Arms

Warm-up: 5 mins of Elliptical Trainer and Chin-up, 4 sets of 6 to 8 reps

BB curls: 4 sets of 8 to 10 reps
Incline DB curls/Preacher curls: 4 sets of 8 to 10 reps
Hammer curls/Reverse curls: 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps
Cable Bar curls/seated concentration curls: 3 sets of 12 reps
Close-grip BB Flat bench press: 4 sets of 8 to 10 reps
Skull crushers: 4 sets of 8 to 10 reps
Standing DB Tri extensions: 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps
Rope/Bar cable press: 3 sets of 12 reps

Total Bi sets: 14 sets
Total Tri sets: 14 sets

Fri - Shoulders

Seated DB/Seated BB/Standing Behind-the-neck BB Shoulder press: 4 sets of 12-10-8-6 reps (increasing load. Last set dropset)
Seated Arnold presses: 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps
BB Upright rows: 4 sets of 10 to 12 reps
DB/cable lateral raises: 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps
DB/cable front raises: 3 sets to 8 to 10 reps
Reverse Incline Bench/Cable bent-over raises: 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps
DB/BB shrugs: 4 sets of 10 to 12 reps

Total Shoulder sets: 24 sets

Cardio Program

Mon

Before work at 0630h: Run 5 Km Steady State

Tue

After weight session at 1815h: Spin Class 45 mins

Wed - No cardio (Legs days, keeping legs fresh)

Thu - No cardio (Legs too sore)

Fri

Before work at 0630h: Run 20 mins of HIIT. 30 sec sprint and 60 sec active recovery

Sat

Hi-performance Spin class at 0900h for 60 mins

Thanks in advance…

You will grow on that routine :slight_smile: hope you stretch and eat well

nice routine, i cant see no flaw really, all the ab work might not be necessary tho, but that depends on you goals i guess.

gl

I’ll give you some thoughts; but you need to put your goals on here. In the mean time I’m going to assume you just want to get bigger/stronger and not for a sport.

[quote]mrsony wrote:
Weight Training Program

Mon - Back and Abs

Weighted Pull-ups: 4 sets of 6 to 8 reps
Deadlifts: 5 sets of 15-12-8-6-6 reps (increasing load)
T-Bar/BB row: 3 sets of 12-8-6 reps (increasing load. Last set dropset)
One Arm DB Bench row/Horizontal Hammer row: 3 sets of 12-8-6 reps (increasing load)
Lat pulldown/cable row/straight arm pulldown: 3 sets of 12 reps

[/quote]
Why do so many push ups?
Do deadlifts first; and if your going to do 5 sets; drop the number of reps. Starting with maybe 8 reps. Increase weight accordingly.
Pick either lat pull downs or weighted pull ups (pull ups>lat pulldown); you’ve overworking your lats if you do that much.

What are you doing for your abs?

70 push ups before your chest day? are you kidding me?
when you put “weighted dips/decline bb press” is this in a superset or are you doing one or the other?

Some similar questions about how you wrote things out (superset or ‘one or other’).
5 min on the bike; that’s barely enough to get your blood flowing IMO.
Less press sucks; the ratio of people who hurt themself to people who gained with it leans towards the “hurt themself” side.

Chin ups shouldn’t be warm up; toss some weight on and do that first; great bi/back setup.

too much arm work in total man. 28 sets? really?

pick 2 things for bi and 2 for tri; ones that work best for YOU. do those.

push ups before shoulder day…tisk tisk.
24 sets on your f*cking shoulders? jesus christ!

see my advice for the biceps; 4-5 things should do.

No comment on the cardio stuff.

If your eating THOUSANDS of calories and getting 8-12hrs of sleep a night; this workout program MIGHT work for you.

Instead of doing millions of lifts and a billion reps and sets; find things that produce results and focus your time on them.

List your goal(s).

what are your stats

[quote]B rocK wrote:
I’ll give you some thoughts; but you need to put your goals on here. In the mean time I’m going to assume you just want to get bigger/stronger and not for a sport.

Why do so many push ups?
Do deadlifts first; and if your going to do 5 sets; drop the number of reps. Starting with maybe 8 reps. Increase weight accordingly.
Pick either lat pull downs or weighted pull ups (pull ups>lat pulldown); you’ve overworking your lats if you do that much.

What are you doing for your abs?)[/quote]

Doing three sets of four exercises in a circuit form. Doing Hanging Knee raises, Standing cable side crunch, swiss ball leg raise and Weigth ball twists.

[quote]

70 push ups before your chest day? are you kidding me?
when you put “weighted dips/decline bb press” is this in a superset or are you doing one or the other?[/quote]

I meant that I alternate these exercises from week to week. Too many push-ups? Maybe just do 50? I feel that push-ups are good to warm-up the chest.

[quote]

Some similar questions about how you wrote things out (superset or ‘one or other’).
5 min on the bike; that’s barely enough to get your blood flowing IMO.
Less press sucks; the ratio of people who hurt themself to people who gained with it leans towards the “hurt themself” side. [/quote]

Then 10 mins on the bike? As per above, I alternate between the exercises between weeks - just to keep the body guessing. Sweet I’ll eliminate Leg presses.

[quote]
Chin ups shouldn’t be warm up; toss some weight on and do that first; great bi/back setup.

too much arm work in total man. 28 sets? really?

pick 2 things for bi and 2 for tri; ones that work best for YOU. do those. [/quote]

I thought chin-ups stimulate the bis and I was using this to warm-up the bis.

So a total of 8 sets for bis and 8 sets for tris. Is that enought to make my arms grow?

[quote]
push ups before shoulder day…tisk tisk.
24 sets on your f*cking shoulders? jesus christ!

see my advice for the biceps; 4-5 things should do. [/quote]

So just do about 16 sets for shoulders with 4 different exercises.

[quote]

No comment on the cardio stuff.

If your eating THOUSANDS of calories and getting 8-12hrs of sleep a night; this workout program MIGHT work for you.

Instead of doing millions of lifts and a billion reps and sets; find things that produce results and focus your time on them.

List your goal(s).[/quote]

Point noted. I really feel that I am overtraining. I have to use a pre-workout supplement to provide me with the energy. FYI using Black Powder.

Goal is basically to increase lean body mass and decrease bodyfat. Just want to bigger and leaner - same old objective.

[quote]chrillionare wrote:
what are your stats[/quote]

Weigh 74 Kg, at a height of 167 cm. About 12% BF, although this is an educated assumption.

[quote]mrsony wrote:
B rocK wrote:
What are you doing for your abs?)

Doing three sets of four exercises in a circuit form. Doing Hanging Knee raises, Standing cable side crunch, swiss ball leg raise and Weigth ball twists.
[/quote]

While these aren’t “bad” ab exercises; there are better. If you have a weak ab/core, then your going to want some weight on your ab exercises. Try some weighted decline sit ups, cable pulldowns and things of the like…

Push ups DO do a good job warming your chest up; but you might be overdoing it to get started. If you want to warm up for a bench day; benchpress! (just use the bar or very little weight). Also, to get warmed up for a chest day; I always stretch out my shoulders and lats.

Ok, I figured you alternated; good.

yeah if you do a 4 set exercise; that would work better. You’d be suprised how little you need to do to fatigue muscle. I see people doing their arm workout in the time it takes me to do a fully body workout; its ridiculous. Just choose your weight appropriately.

So just do about 16 sets for shoulders with 4 different exercises.

again; if you do 4 things 4 times; yes 16. your focusing ALOT on the number of sets you do…no need to get that in depth just yet.

I have no idea what black powder is; but if its expensive and its to give you energy…it’s probably not worth sh*t. Caffiene is so cheap lol.

Your goals are very typical; which is good…easier to help with.

One main thing: its easier to focus on one thing at a time (getting bigger or cutting down).

B rock,

You rock! Thanks for the feedback! Can you recommend a good pre-work out supp? Black Powder is a Nitric-Oxide Igniter.

I guess have been spending all this time at the gym and not working out efficiently at all.

I want to get bigger but I also want to bring out my bottom two abs and have really defined obliques?

hey mate i was wondering if your on any supplements cause im from Aus to and was wondering what to get on. wee sem to have alot of different stuff to everywhere else

bulkman - musashi for bulking is good, i have musashi bulk atm and its good, high carb, protein, low in sugar compared to others available, the only other protein thats available would be Grow! of course and also some from ultimate nutrition…

either that or go with ordering from Biotest oz store online, all there stuff is meant to be good, never tried it tho

[quote]bulkman wrote:
hey mate i was wondering if your on any supplements cause im from Aus to and was wondering what to get on. wee sem to have alot of different stuff to everywhere else[/quote]

All the Biotest stuff is good. But I am now on:

Pre WO - SuperPump 250
Intra WO - Purple Wrath
Post WO - Optimum Whey mixed with Powerade

Also I just eat a shed of clean carbs during the day and virtually no carbs after 730p.m.

u dont need more sets of calves than hamstrings silly, those are more important

fuck dumbbells and hit up some barbell pressing, it will make u grow more

[quote]bignate wrote:
u dont need more sets of calves than hamstrings silly, those are more important

fuck dumbbells and hit up some barbell pressing, it will make u grow more[/quote]

My calves are lagging and I thought I was working my hamstrings doing the other compound movements.

So you reckon use BB in lieu of DB? I was told to use DB since its a unilateral movement - greater ROM and works the stabilisers. But hey I will give it go…

Cheers