T Nation

Euphemism of the Day

“Cheat meals” and “cheat days” are now called “refeeds”? I just noticed this a week or so ago.

Because, you know, when people “refeed” their bodies they usually eat cake and ice cream and what not. The body, after all, needs replenished of its lost cake and ice cream stores.

While I think cheat days and cheat meals are invaluable, I think it’s rather silly to call them refeeds. I suppose it does make a person eating cake feel better to say, “I’m not cheating, I’m refeeding!”

Not so sure about that one. If I cheat, I eat pizza, ice cream, whatever, and I call it cheating.

If I refeed, I eat more carbs and calories than usual, but I make sure they’re from oatmeal, fruit, maybe wholewheat pasta, in other words foods I usually limit on a diet but which would still be considered clean.

I’m going to disagree with you here and not just because I think you’re an asshole.

A euphemism is the substitution of a mild, indirect, or vague expression for one thought to be offensive, harsh, or blunt. (I like dictionary.com)

There’s no question that if a person, after having a bad day at work, comes home, says screw the diet, and goes nuts with cake, ice cream, and whatnot, that ain’t a refeed - that’s just plain cheating.

A refeed, as Mike Roussell pointed out in his article, is a planned part of an overall diet. It’s not “falling off the wagon” and it’s not necessarily an excuse to go nuts.

I would argue that the term “cheat day” became a subsitute term for “refeed” for marketing reasons. It’s much easier to sell a diet plan with a “cheat day” than one with “regular planned intervals of disciplined carbohydrate in order to replenish glycogen stores and create an anabolic environment for enhanced muscle growth while minimizing increases in adipose tissue.” While most T-Nation readers probably understand this last phrase, the average Joe and Jane on the street will not. Just ask Joel Marion and his “Cheater’s Diet.”

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
I’m going to disagree with you here and not just because I think you’re an asshole.

A euphemism is the substitution of a mild, indirect, or vague expression for one thought to be offensive, harsh, or blunt. (I like dictionary.com)

There’s no question that if a person, after having a bad day at work, comes home, says screw the diet, and goes nuts with cake, ice cream, and whatnot, that ain’t a refeed - that’s just plain cheating.

A refeed, as Mike Roussell pointed out in his article, is a planned part of an overall diet. It’s not “falling off the wagon” and it’s not necessarily an excuse to go nuts.

I would argue that the term “cheat day” became a subsitute term for “refeed” for marketing reasons. It’s much easier to sell a diet plan with a “cheat day” than one with “regular planned intervals of disciplined carbohydrate in order to replenish glycogen stores and create an anabolic environment for enhanced muscle growth while minimizing increases in adipose tissue.” While most T-Nation readers probably understand this last phrase, the average Joe and Jane on the street will not. Just ask Joel Marion and his “Cheater’s Diet.”[/quote]

I think CaliforniaLaw was referring to people eating outright cheat meals and then calling them “Refeeds” when they are just cheat meals.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
“Cheat meals” and “cheat days” are now called “refeeds”? I just noticed this a week or so ago.

Because, you know, when people “refeed” their bodies they usually eat cake and ice cream and what not. The body, after all, needs replenished of its lost cake and ice cream stores.

While I think cheat days and cheat meals are invaluable, I think it’s rather silly to call them refeeds. I suppose it does make a person eating cake feel better to say, “I’m not cheating, I’m refeeding!” [/quote]

And those people are NOT fat-asses. They are simply “horizontally challenged”.

And they’re the same people who bitch when they don’t get results.