Eugenics in Europe

Which person of which people?

Lol, that Proof of God thread. Talk about an entertaining read.

It may be reasonable but what does it serve in a civil discussion to be judgmental and call people murderers? I would say that is a refusal to acknowledge another perspective.

I can say that you, pfury, are the one being rational. Just because someone believes he is rational doesn’t make it so. Faith requires irrationality. The problem is that you have people who are not well educated or versed on the subjects of religion and faith and they think that belief and faith are the same thing, they are not. This is why they will make the ridiculous claim that atheists also base their beliefs on faith. Faith is belief in the absence of facts. Atheism is disbelief in the absence of facts. Rational beliefs are based on facts.

1 Like

The person before or after changing his mind.

OK, so the law isn’t the arbiter of the morality of abortion. Fine by me.

Slavery used to be legal but was it moral?

I’ve read them. Some of it gets a little cringeworthy though. That’s why I was so surprised when Pat said the rate at which these conversations shift his POV is roughly 50/50. Maybe it’s happened, I just haven’t found it in the religion focused threads.

This would make a belief in person-hood (and value assessment) against atheism.

I believe in absolute morality (moral law). Slavery is and has always been wrong, regardless societal law.

I can’t understand what you posted. The grammar makes it unclear.

You can believe that but since you won’t find a universal reference, natural or scientific, for absolute morality it will still be subjective.

Value assessment is not a factually based tool. True atheists presumable can’t make value assessments then.

Of course they can but they can acknowledge that it isn’t solely based on science. Atheists are not robots. An atheist can believe that a zygote is a person but not because it has a soul.

Of course they do, which is to say I’ve never met a real atheist. But, what does an atheistic definition of personhood look like?

I think you misunderstand. Those things would make it explicitly unknowable, but not necessarily non-existent.

You however are a moral relativist? Is slavery sometimes not wrong?

I don’t think there is a single definition in some atheist handbook. Whatever an individual atheist believes it wouldn’t include a soul.

Many Christians are pro-life yet they may disagree when it comes to a matter of the mother’s survival.

Can you give me an example?

Since morality is a human creation I wouldn’t expect to find a natural or scientific reference book on it. And until God actually tells us exactly what he calls right and wrong we are all we can look to. But in that case it wouldn’t be natural or scientific; just the creation of another being.

Ask an atheist who wants to answer that question. I don’t put out my religious beliefs or lack thereof.