Etiquette On These Forums

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
My personal pet peeve is posters who desperately want an answer to their question but who won’t answer any questions you ask to clarify their situation.[/quote]

In this regard, my ‘favorites’ are the ones who don’t want an answer, they want THE answer–as in, the One True Method for achieving the physique and/or strength of their dreams…

End threadjack with my apologies, Power.

[/quote]

That is annoying. BTW, I’ve threadjacked your thread a lot so you have a free pass. Thanks, BTW.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
If you post a detailed answer to someone’s question, do you just never check the thread again to see if they responded? [/quote]
I’m with you here, Power. I always check back to see what they thought of my contribution, and I have to say I notice it when no such thoughts are provided.[/quote]
This is pretty much my mindset too.

A “thanks” is nice to hear for sure and always stands out because it’s pretty rare, but I’m much more impressed and appreciative, myself, when a poster actually follows through with any advice given and makes a follow-up post with a progress report. There were a few good updates recently - Leonard, Flight, GorillaK, and a couple other guys that checked in with either a progress report, more questions, or both.

What seriously, seriously, like seriously bothers me is people who make a thread with a question, get a few legit useful replies, and then make another thread ((usually in a different forum) with the same question a week or so later trying to get more replies from different people. That’s the direct opposite of showing appreciation or saying “thanks”. It’s basically saying “Yep, I saw your detailed answer to my question, but fuck you I’m going to ignore it because I want more attention.”[/quote]

Oh, that is annoying…The “new thread, same topic” thing.

I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who thinks you’re a saint, Chris. You’re very patient with trying to help people, especially beginners.

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

In this regard, my ‘favorites’ are the ones who don’t want an answer, they want THE answer–as in, the One True Method for achieving the physique and/or strength of their dreams. They seem to think the people who frequent these forums harbor secret truths about training and/or diet, secrets they will share only grudgingly, and only if the poster pleads long enough. ‘C’mon guys, just tell me exactly how to lift and what to eat to get hyooge!’[/quote]

It’s your profile picture man. We know you have the key and are holding out.

Thanks for the thread Powerpuff. I have often wondered if people appreciate all of the little thank you’s or if it makes you look like a weenie.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I expect it in person, but not so much online. Forums are asynchronous communication by definition, so I just approach it that way, with no guarantees. Generally I assume someone is going to read it eventually, and they can always come back to it or search for it. It’s nice to know if something was helpful, but I don’t feel slighted if they never say thanks.

Plus, I know it can sometimes be a pain to log in and out across multiple devices. Sometimes I read things on my phone while logged out, but forget to reply when I’m on the computer and logged in. I’m not a huge fan of typing while on my phone anyway, but it does actually log you out of the site on your computer if you log in on your phone.

For the people who stick around, I just look at all the bits and pieces as part of one larger conversation. Branches of that conversation might go unanswered or die off, but as a whole, there’s just a continual dialog and relationship developed across multiple threads and logs and so on.[/quote]

Good point. I never come here from my iPhone, so I don’t have that issue.

Another thing, these forums are a form of communication. As you mentioned, there are delays inherent in it. BUT, if you start a thread, it shouldn’t be the same thing as reading an article here where you are a passive spectator.

Sometimes I wish there was a “like” button, or a “seen” button so at least I’d know if the person ever read my response. That would be nearly as good has having someone come back and say “thanks everyone.” as in “I am following.”

Sometimes I’m the only responder to a thread about pregnancy or postnatal stuff, or some other female-oriented topic. I don’t like not knowing if the person at least came back to read my response. I think I’ve wasted my time, and I don’t enjoy that.

If I want to feel like I’m talking to myself, I can talk to my kids while they play video games. :slight_smile:

^ I’m not talking about nez, BTW. She didn’t start a thread, but she recently asked a question in Bron’s Q and A forum, and I responded to her. She didn’t respond on that thread, but contacted me personally since we know each other on FB. That was very nice. Nez is a cool chick.

And I’m not talking about people who can’t respond to every person on a thread. That’s expected if there’s a lot of traffic.

I’d just like to see people checking in once in awhile for the first few days at least. Maybe a week. Even to say, “I have read all of your responses.”

[quote]sweet-t wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

In this regard, my ‘favorites’ are the ones who don’t want an answer, they want THE answer–as in, the One True Method for achieving the physique and/or strength of their dreams. They seem to think the people who frequent these forums harbor secret truths about training and/or diet, secrets they will share only grudgingly, and only if the poster pleads long enough. ‘C’mon guys, just tell me exactly how to lift and what to eat to get hyooge!’[/quote]

Thanks for the thread Powerpuff. I have often wondered if people appreciate all of the little thank you’s or if it makes you look like a weenie.

[/quote]

Your welcome. I think most people appreciate at least being acknowledged. The internet equivalent of a nod, as in “I hear you.” It shows respect for people’s time.

It’s another topic, but web anonymity has turned a lot of people into jerks. Imagine if everyone here lived in your neighborhood, knew your name and address, or trained at your gym. People would be nicer, or at least show some basic courtesy.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]sweet-t wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[/quote]

Your welcome. I think most people appreciate at least being acknowledged. The internet equivalent of a nod, as in “I hear you.” It shows respect for people’s time.

It’s another topic, but web anonymity has turned a lot of people into jerks. Imagine if everyone here lived in your neighborhood, knew your name and address, or trained at your gym. People would be nicer, or at least show some basic courtesy.

[/quote]
This is reminding me of the 100 pullup challenge thread that was active for a little while on Bigger, Stronger, Leaner. The OP posed a question, never came back, yet 4 pages of debate ensued, Whereas one poster MinataurXXX Challenged everyone on the thread to a $5000 bet, hiding behind the anonymity of the internet, and when csulli posted a video, MinataurXXX said he would only display his strength in person for $5000, not post a video.

I don’t hide behind a screen name, as I feel it helps me stay accountable to the words I type.

I think there are issues on both ends of the spectrum. I work in education, so forums are sort of an electronic version of what I oftentimes deal with in practicality for 8 hours every day, though I deal exclusively with 14-18 year-olds.

Yes, it’s rather rude to never come back and acknowledge responses, or turn around and start a repeat thread after your question was answered in a train wreck from a previous time. Since I deal with it so often on a daily basis, it’s also flabbergasting how often someone will ask a simply question that was already answered extensively in an article or just from conducting a simple search query, but sometimes that’s a newbie behavior.

On the other hand, I do think we have some denizens who are oftentimes quick to scream “troll” or can otherwise be condescending when it’s not warranted. I realize we’re not a bunch Nabisco 100 calorie snack pack consuming housewives on a sewing forum, but a little civility goes a long way. Life is too short to be caustic on the Internet at every little annoyance.

Internet etiquette bothered me when I was younger, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve come to the conclusion that I’d much rather reserve “my fucks” for things that actually matter.

first off i have to say i agree and i always appreciate help from all he people who have given feedback on my threads as i dont really have no one else to ask on such matters

secondly it woulda been so awesome if u didnt reply to this thread after ur initial post , people woulda been popping blood vessels alllll over the place :smiley:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
[/quote]

Yep. I know what you mean. I’ve been guilty of that twice I believe.

Just a little devils advocate here.

I guess the flip side is that people will give it to you straight. No tip toeing around. Recently over in t-replacement, a guy showed up and tried to downplay the severity of his drinking problem and how it was degrading his health. He got some straight up, slap in the face advice which people who know him would probably shy away from. Not sure if it helped but I am sure it didn’t hurt.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]sweet-t wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]
This is reminding me of the 100 pullup challenge thread that was active for a little while on Bigger, Stronger, Leaner. The OP posed a question, never came back, yet 4 pages of debate ensued, Whereas one poster MinataurXXX Challenged everyone on the thread to a $5000 bet, hiding behind the anonymity of the internet, and when csulli posted a video, MinataurXXX said he would only display his strength in person for $5000, not post a video.
[/quote]

Don’t worry about that. It was HoustonGuy hijinks.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]sweet-t wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don’t hide behind a screen name, as I feel it helps me stay accountable to the words I type. [/quote]

That pullup thread! At least it was fun to watch csulli’s pullup video.

About anonymity, I can see where sometimes it’s nice since BBing is it’s own culture in many ways and many of us don’t talk about it much outside of forums like these. Bikini pics have been used against people in their professional life so you can see why some women would want to crop their head out of the pic, or not post them with their name. Same for some men I’m sure. Most of my real life friends probably don’t know what lats and delts are. :slight_smile: I don’t hide my lifting hobby, but I also don’t talk about it much with people who aren’t into it. That’s one reason these forums are nice.

But yeah, anonymity can help people get pretty ugly and it facilitates trolling. I’ve noticed that people who use their real name or face here tend to be more cordial or professional, as a rule. Of course, using your real name makes it harder to post about giving your wife an STD. :wink:

edited

[quote]michaelmi5 wrote:
first off i have to say i agree and i always appreciate help from all he people who have given feedback on my threads as i dont really have no one else to ask on such matters

secondly it woulda been so awesome if u didnt reply to this thread after ur initial post , people woulda been popping blood vessels alllll over the place :D[/quote]

Thanks! LOL! The idea of making this thread and then not responding did cross my mind. That would have been pretty funny, right?

[quote]Davinci.v2 wrote:
Internet etiquette bothered me when I was younger, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve come to the conclusion that I’d much rather reserve “my fucks” for things that actually matter. [/quote]

Don’t sweat the small stuff, or don’t let yourself get caught up in life’s petty little problems? Probably good advice.

Still, I would really like to fix this little corner of the internet. Those threads where the OP never comes back make me nuts.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]Davinci.v2 wrote:
Internet etiquette bothered me when I was younger, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve come to the conclusion that I’d much rather reserve “my fucks” for things that actually matter. [/quote]

Don’t sweat the small stuff, or don’t let yourself get caught up in life’s petty little problems? Probably good advice.

Still, I would really like to fix this little corner of the internet. Those threads where the OP never comes back make me nuts. [/quote]

Yes on both accounts. I find I’m significantly happier when I dedicate my time, energy and focus to things that serve me and ignore the things that do not.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
If you post a detailed answer to someone’s question, do you just never check the thread again to see if they responded? [/quote]
I’m with you here, Power. I always check back to see what they thought of my contribution, and I have to say I notice it when no such thoughts are provided.[/quote]
This is pretty much my mindset too.

A “thanks” is nice to hear for sure and always stands out because it’s pretty rare, but I’m much more impressed and appreciative, myself, when a poster actually follows through with any advice given and makes a follow-up post with a progress report. There were a few good updates recently - Leonard, Flight, GorillaK, and a couple other guys that checked in with either a progress report, more questions, or both.

What seriously, seriously, like seriously bothers me is people who make a thread with a question, get a few legit useful replies, and then make another thread ((usually in a different forum) with the same question a week or so later trying to get more replies from different people. That’s the direct opposite of showing appreciation or saying “thanks”. It’s basically saying “Yep, I saw your detailed answer to my question, but fuck you I’m going to ignore it because I want more attention.”[/quote]

Oh, that is annoying…The “new thread, same topic” thing.

I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who thinks you’re a saint, Chris. You’re very patient with trying to help people, especially beginners.
[/quote]

Seconded.

Easy solution: any thread without a follow up post by OP within 7 days of first post gets auto-deleted.

Hopefully the mods take this or something similar into consideration.

i was thinking about this myself yesterday

while i like all replies to my threads i find it hard to take advice from really new posters .i.e joined 3 months ago and already racked up 1000 posts, and their very first post was giving advice, dont get me wrong for all i know the person could be Arnie etc but without some kind of reputation or videos of themselves or some other means of authentication i find it hard to take that advice even ho i read it and appreciate feedback, like if i post for squat form check and 1 or 2 older members give advice and 10 new posters post the oppisite id more than likely go for the established members advice,

i could be naive in doing so but i do think a new member should either have to post a video or some type of credentials before giving other new lifters advice.

maybe a rep thing or minimum post count or join date before posting advice?

just my thoughts :smiley:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Easy solution: any thread without a follow up post by OP within 7 days of first post gets auto-deleted.

Hopefully the mods take this or something similar into consideration.

[/quote]

True. As it stands, at least sometimes interesting conversation ensues that might be helpful to someone. Like that pullup thread.

Otherwise, they’d have to put up maybe 5 basic rules and sticky it up. That MIGHT help.

Please search the site before you start a thread.

Trolling and being an ass not tolerated.

Don’t start a thread and never return. It’s disrespectful and makes people feel like they’ve wasted their time.

Linking to competitor’s websites is not allowed. I’ve accidentally done this a couple of times.

Maybe this is already on the site somewhere.

BTW, I did appreciate how the mods got rid of HoustonGuy, unless he has a new alias. You know you have a problem when you can’t even make a simple post in the nutrition forum without turning on the full troll persona.