Estrogen in Milk

I’ve seen a lot about how dairy contains shit-loads of estrogen. Anybody have any info as to the effects this could have?

This is why Al Gore invented the internet.

NO wouldnt mind seeing / reading the studies though. E is in everything really it to what extent and how readily it id uptaken or bond to receptors.

Was this due to the cattle implants etc??

Phill

[quote]Dark_Knight wrote:
I’ve seen a lot about how dairy contains shit-loads of estrogen. Anybody have any info as to the effects this could have?[/quote]

I didn’t do any research, but judging by how many people use milk as a staple in regards to putting on muscle, I wouldn’t think it does anything, really.

I drink 2 gallons a week, which isn’t much by some standards on this board, but it’s well above average. I’ve been doing so since around December, and have yet to get the urge to paint my nails or watch Sex and the City.

At least, any more than usual.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
This is why Al Gore invented the internet.[/quote]

It’s also why we have internet discussion boards. You know, to exchange information.

I have looked it up… I’m just wondering if anyone has anything good on the subject.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Was this due to the cattle implants etc??
[/quote]

Don’t know anything about that. Most of what I’ve seen so far (I really just started looking into this though) states that the high levels of estrogens are naturally present. That is, they are present because the cow already has high levels of endogenous estrogen and this shows up in the milk.

If it is there you’d have to figure out what that meant with respect to what happens in our digestive system.

You’d have to imagine that when we eat meat, or anything for that matter, that we are getting whatever happens to be present there as well…

…and we won’t even get into the effects that xenoestrogens, from the plastic storage containers, have on your body.

DJ

[quote]djreef wrote:
…and we won’t even get into the effects that xenoestrogens, from the plastic storage containers, have on your body.

DJ[/quote]

it would be great if we could go ahead and get in to that.

what is a xenoestrogen and what do they do?

[quote]Dark_Knight wrote:
I’ve seen a lot about how dairy contains shit-loads of estrogen. Anybody have any info as to the effects this could have?[/quote]

You probably don’t need to worry. Estrogen is, like Testosterone, metabolized by the liver.

That’s why there are no oral Tesosterones.

The liver breaks it down.

You could, however, get an effect if you swallowed over 200 mg. At that point, you’d overcome the liver’s ability to break it down.

It’s much the same with estrogen.

[quote]djreef wrote:

DJ[/quote]

Xenoestrogens are synthetic substances that differ from those produced by living organisms and imitate or enhance the effect of estrogens. The estrogenic stimulation is an unintended side-effect of these agents or their metabolites.

Xenoestrogens are part of a heterogeneous group of chemicals that are hormone or endocrine disruptors. They differ from phytoestrogens (estrogenic substances from plants), mycoestrogens (estrogenic substances from fungi), and pharmacological estrogens (estrogenic action is intended).

External estrogens from a variety of sources may have a cumulative effect upon living organisms, and xenoestrogens may be part of a larger picture of a process of estrogenization of the environment. Xenoestrogens have only been recently (less than 70 years) introduced into the environment, as produced by industrial, agricultural, and chemical companies.

The big problem from an exposure standpoint is xenoestrogens are difficult to eliminate from the body, so they build up after repeated exposure. Softer plastics like tupperware, and milk containers seem to be worse than the harder plastics about leaching the chemicals into their contents.

I’ve gotten to the point now to where I use glass, stainless, or ceramic to store everything. And never cook anything in plastic, microwave, or otherwise. The whole plastics thing is really impossible to eliminate completely, because they’re everywhere, but I try to do what I can to minimize exposure. That, and the fact that I can’t stand the taste of plastic in the things I eat and drink, esp. water.

DJ