Estrogen and Leanness (Article)

Estrogen And Exercise Promote Leanness In Similar Ways

ScienceDaily (Nov. 5, 2005) �?? A common hormone has been found to help the body use fat and glucose as energy in the same way that exercise does. Agricultural Research Service-funded scientists report the findings – based on animal studies – in the Journal of Biological Chemistry.

The study, led by physician Andrew Greenberg and colleagues, actually reveals a number of novel mechanisms by which estrogen promotes a reduction in fat cell size and fat tissue mass. Greenberg is director of the Obesity and Metabolism Laboratory at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University in Boston, Mass.

Estrogen is an important hormone in both women and men. It activates pathways that regulate metabolism and also directly regulates the expression of certain genes. The results shown were based on providing half of a group of laboratory mice that had no ovaries with a placebo pellet and the other half an estrogen pellet for 40 days. The mice were fed equal amounts of chow.

In the mice, estrogen replacement was found to reduce lipids, or fats, by promoting the use of fat as fuel. The three mechanisms for the observed action include: inhibiting fat storage in liver, muscle and fat tissue; activating the pathways that promote burning the fat in muscles; and breaking down stored fats used for energy reserves in fat cells.

When estrogen was present in muscle, liver and fat cells, the expression of genes that control manufacturing and storing fat was reduced, and the expression of genes that promote burning fat in muscle cells was increased.

Scientists long have known that fading estrogen levels lead postmenopausal women to accumulate more fat and sometimes develop insulin resistance or diabetes. The study demonstrates that estrogen may reduce body fat in animals and may explain some of the reasons behind the association of menopause with increased risk of insulin resistance and diabetes, according to Greenberg.

ARS is the U.S. Department of Agriculture�??s chief in-house scientific research agency.

This baffles me…Guess I need to read it again, being a FB trying to be a FFB/;-)…

From experience working with sample data and models you have to analyze what where the parameters. Male mice or female mice for instance.

Also it has been proven that models based on mice don’t translate to humans. Monkeys are other issues.

Best template would be with AIDS victims or old people subjected to this research. However in my quest for knowledge I haven’t found any reference to exogenous estrogen given to men.

Personally I wouldn’t be part of that…

[quote]Schwarzenegger wrote:

Scientists long have known that fading estrogen levels lead postmenopausal women to accumulate more fat and sometimes develop insulin resistance or diabetes.

[/quote]

This study was funded by the US Department of Agriculture as evidence to further “promote” the “healthy aspects of soy”. Not to mention the science is piss-poor at best.

Postmenopausal woman accumulate fat and become insulin resistant because of a bad diet and no exercise, not because of fading estrogen levels. This does not happen in countries outside the USA, although obesity is rising now in all Western cultures. There are entire medical libraries of historical research on estrogen and fat storage.

Yo Momma beat me to it. I started reading this and instantly thought of the great deal of interest the Department of Agriculture would have in bolstering its soy production, thus having to promote whatever possible alleged benefits from increased estrogen. Plus given the information in this article, it’s painfully obvious that it’s not entirely autonomous or well-grounded.

True, because of being animals it doesn’t constitute proof of anything in man. Though biochemical pathways that exist in mice very often do in man as well. But I’ve long held that the common belief in bb’ing that estrogen is a terrible enemy of fat loss, citing women’s greater difficulty in fat loss as supposed evidence, is mistaken and as to why women have a harder time with fat loss, the real cause there is low androgen levels, not high estrogen levels.

Most certainly a woman losing her estrogen levels, not necessarily from age but for example from hysterectomy that might be as early as in the 20s, sees no fat-loss benefits whatsoever from such reduction in estrogen. If anything the reverse is true.

I didn’t say it was “good” science, but just something for discussion as the steroid section has been slow lately.

Effect of estradiol on tissue glycogen metabolism and lipid availability in exercised male rats

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/71/5/1694

Basically it says that estrogen increases lipid oxidation, which has been a well-known fact for a while. I’d imagine the article I originally posted took this main idea and implied increased fat loss. It just mobilizes the fat for energy, but you still have to do something to use it.

I like these type of discussions. My approach comes from clinical trials done on my university with exogenous estrogen for men who want to undergo sex change.

Basically the extra estrogen leads to all the feminization symptoms (breasts, fatty deposits, lowering of the follicle hair, etc). They didn’t account for diet or lifestyle factors, but none lost bodyfat.

I will see if they have it in english and will post it here.

Yes, excess estrogen has these problems.

I should have written my post more carefully to have read that I don’t believe normal estrogen is an enemy to fat loss.