Estoy Aqui

Hi LL,

I asked this question of Shugs about a week ago, and he passed the buck to you.

"On the general health side of things, have you ever come across anything called “Bioscan”. The makers claim it can detect the levels of anti-oxidants in your blood by measuring Caroteniod levels in your skin. Have you heard anything about this in your travels? "

Any thoughts?

LL, I may train someone who is climbing Mt.Everst. He has climbed up to 25,000 feet before. The issue with Mt.E is that 1 out of 10 people die on the way down. Can you give me any nutrition tips to help him climb and come down?

Also I heard that moutain clibmers should take in a high fat diet because carbs do not process right at higher altitudes, any truth?

Helix,
Soreness doesn’t correlate well with other markers of muscle microtrauma.

Still, one can’t discount soreness as at least part of the process. DOMS comes with a 15-20% decine in strength (MVC) though, and it actually ebbs before other recovery variables have “reset”. Hence, I often do take off that extra day (unless the schedule calls for an unrelated muscle group). I wouldn’t specifically train a brutally sore muscle group beyond a mild, stretching type of “active recovery”.

[PS Did you know that torched skeletal muscle doesn’t accept blood glucose (from dietary carbohydrate) very well? When most major muscle groups are rocked, I back off on carbs and up the fats a bit.]

Massif,
That sounds familiar and could in fact be possible but it’s not as common in research as other established tests of antiox. defense (TBARS, conjugated trienes, serum carotenoids, etc.).

I wish I could offer gory details but since nutritionists have a good handle on the upper limit of dietary antioxidants, the need for fruit and veggie (and tea, etc.) phytochemicals, and the fact that training itself enhances cellular antiox defenses, it may just be beating a dead horse to measure it regularly (just my two cents.)

Lonnie, have you heard anything about the Pharmanex Bio-Photonic Scanner. There are some local people pushing it. It seems like it may just be a way for them to sell their supplements… Interesting to see what you think…

Details: http://www.pharmanexusa.com/cgi-bin/pxweb/editorial/en/editorial.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0683370598.1114563218@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddefgjdmmicefecehhdfjfdfki.0&content_id=px.biophotonic.scanner.splash

Thanks!

Just a final note before I log off.

As I’m sure most of you know, Charles’ discussion here is good stuff but of course he’s often posing questions simply as a teaching tool, eh?

We can all bounce around ideas and expertise (which makes T-Nation so valuable) but I just wanted to state that I don’t presume to “answer” him on lifestyle and training issues!

Thanks, all, for joining me tonight.
Take Care of those injuries!

Hey Lonnie,

Eric Cressey already gave me a great reply to this question, but you seem to be asking for the injury questions, so here goes. I recently sprained my wrist pretty good. So good, the doc put me in a small cast. Any exercises or tips to keep and maintain strength in my casted arm?

Thanks,
poper

HAHAHA>…you said “Injury”

Just what I needed to speak about. THis may be a little long, sorry:

I was doing high volume and low reps workout and GPP work before. Then I messed up my right bicep. I took a week off, got some therapeutic massage and it got better…that is when the strange thing happened.

During that time my left shoulder started to feel strange (a little pain). I was doing no upper body workouts during this time so it was definately unusual.

Anyway, went back to working out the same…and the bicep was fine, but the left shoulder got aggravated BADLY.

I can’t say what’s wrong (language barrier between Doc and I…I"m in China) but the massage seems to be working. He says not to exercise for 2 more weeks…not even lower body nor to even carry a grocery bag. All I can say is that pressing moves hurt, and to sleep on that side is painful and to hang the arm across the body while sleeping on the other side is painful also. LOL…I’m a damn mess.

It would be funny if I didn’t enjoy lifting so much.

My MAIN question for you is easing back into the iron game. What is your opinion on how to best get back into lifting heavy/low reps while minimizing (if not totally ixnaying) the chance of reinjury?

Thanks!

TB

PS…If you have any idea on how in the world a left shoulder injury can happen from no exercise/down time during a right bicep massage, please expound…I am TOTALLY at a loss for words…lol

LL,

I don’t understand this lower back nag I have. It occured when I was doing light weight Romanian dead-lifts! I felt a tweak and when I bent over for the next week to like put air in my tires a sharp pain shot through and took me down to the ground and it hurt like a mother. I did the kneel on all fours and arch your back like a cat and when I got to the upper point same thing; pain shot and crippled me in lower back. After visiting the doctor and getting X-rays he said that I didn’t break anything and he didn’t think any damage was done.

However, there seems to be this tightness still that exists. When I wake up, that lower back side is tight and it’s isolated to one side. The funny thing is I can still deadlift like 400 for 2 reps no problems but it feels tight. I can get hit by corner backs right in the area and nothing… What do you think the deal is with the tightness and minimal ache?

Ache in a sense that when I focus on the area it “feels” different from the other side?

-Get Lifted