Estoy Aqui

Okay, I’m here.

I’m in the mood to talk nutrition and injury (got plenty of them now) but I’m up for other stuff, too.

LL

I’m wondering how many of you put up with injuries that mess with your training.

I recently wrote on article related to this but I’m curious how you’ve adjusted your lifestyles.

Maybe I should put some of this in the “over 35 thread” since I seem to have injuries for the first time in my life only now (at 36)…

Lonnie, I have this idea, just to get a conversation started, that one’s nutrition, in terms of “severity” (let’s say caloric restriction for the purpose of fat loss) should be only SLIGHTLY more than what you need to do to make progress. I.e., be a tortoise instead of a hare. Any thoughts from anyone?

[quote]Lonnie Lowery wrote:
Okay, I’m here.

I’m in the mood to talk nutrition and injury (got plenty of them now) but I’m up for other stuff, too.

LL[/quote]

I have a pain that is on the right side (inner side) of my left arm. It is dead smack in the middle between my bicep and forearm, but its off to the side (inner side). I don’t think its tennis elbow and I don’t know what the heck it could be.

Any thoughts??

Okay, I’m here.

LL[/quote]

Here is what I asked not knowing that you would open it here http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=615333

Thank you!

Lonnie-

I just got a magazine that spoke of William Llewellyn and his patent that was approved for Arachidonic Acid. The claims are this supplement will increase the adrogen receptors of a body to increase muscle size thru training? Have you heard about this?

On another topic you just mentioned. I’m a trainer at a gym and I have to lift and re-rack weights for my clients every day I work. When I train I also lift heavy and workout about 4 times per week. My question is this. I have a strained and sore feeling in the 3rd and 4th joints of my fingers on my left hand. I know that it is probably a RSI from holding onto the edges of plates, but any help in speeding up my recovery would be greatly appriciated. Thanks for your time.

laquino1

Charles, my man…

I’m a big fan of the tortoise approach. I once had an endocrine prof who used to say: “you can nudge the body effectively but push too hard and it WILL balk.”

Simple words on homeostasis from a brilliant guy.

House of Atlas,

I hear you! I too have this very malady. I’ve increased fish oil intake to help address the inflammation (I’m still trying to avoid NSAIDS a while longer) and I’ve relegated myself only to reverse curls because it’s nagged me for a few months.

How have you addressed it?

yustas,
Often in the literature one will indeed see EPA+DHA (total n-3 fatty acids)mentioned specifically. The other components in fish oil aren’t the focus. The tough thing is finding and affording supplements that have a fairly high concentration of these as opposed to the common and low-potency (but affordable)30% type.

I find with myself that I tend to eat super-perfectly for 3-4 days, then fall off the wagon hard enough to undue the previous 3-4 days worth of progress. If I “just do enough” however, I can sustain it indefinitely. There are training applications to this principle as well I believe…

Charles, my man…

I’m a big fan of the tortoise approach. I once had an endocrine prof who used to say: “you can nudge the body effectively but push too hard and it WILL balk.”

Simple words on homeostasis from a brilliant guy. [/quote]

Man, I have several injury problems. My most severe problem is in the ulnar side of both my wrist. I sprained them roughly 6-8 weeks ago(separate occasions). One with DB floor presses and the other during a DB snatch. There must have been an underlying problem for the two injuries to occur with such proximity and in the exact same area. I had X-rays and all is well. My main porblem now is joint laxity and cronic pain/irritation. I also am not able to perform any supinated movement in the gym. Do you have any advice? Thank you

So where would this put something like Shugart’s V-Diet, if you are familiar w/ it.

House of Atlas,

I hear you! I too have this very malady. I’ve increased fish oil intake to help address the inflammation (I’m still trying to avoid NSAIDS a while longer) and I’ve relegated myself only to reverse curls because it’s nagged me for a few months.

How have you addressed it?[/quote]

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

Well, I’m taking lots of salmon fish oil pills (via The Velocity Diet) and seem to ice it when it hurts the most. Seems like when I don’t ice it for a while, it gets worse. I take NSAIDS on and off, but nothing consistant.

After looking over a human anatomy photo, it looks like the pain is around the medial epicondyle.

Charles,
I too think the tortoise is the way to go. It justs intuitively seems that one should eat the way one trains or tans. Never overloading the adaptive abilities of the body. And as LL eludes, the body has a need to be “babied” as we continue to increase the severity of any stimulus/change. Food consumption would fit the bill as well.

I’ve always used 200 cal weekly jumps to find the “sweet spot”. I use this both in gaining and cutting. Why be more severe than necessary, since this will take away from the adaptation your looking for and cause a cortisol backlash or something. :wink:

DH

[quote]laquino1 wrote:
Lonnie-

I just got a magazine that spoke of William Llewellyn and his patent that was approved for Arachidonic Acid. The claims are this supplement will increase the adrogen receptors of a body to increase muscle size thru training? Have you heard about this?

On another topic you just mentioned. I’m a trainer at a gym and I have to lift and re-rack weights for my clients every day I work. When I train I also lift heavy and workout about 4 times per week. My question is this. I have a strained and sore feeling in the 3rd and 4th joints of my fingers on my left hand. I know that it is probably a RSI from holding onto the edges of plates, but any help in speeding up my recovery would be greatly appriciated. Thanks for your time.

laquino1[/quote]

No, I haven’t heard of this specifically, but as I recall AA and lipoxygenase are involved in steroidogenesis in leydig cells (T production from testes).

I’m not comfortable at this juncture with the concept of actually supplemening AA, as there are benefits to reducing the AA:n-3 ratio for example. I imagine that, having gone after a patent, William is your man for addressing the whys and wherefors. Just keep in mind that digging around for outside opinions and research is always prudent to provide balance.

(This holds true for anything I say, too!)

You know, there I go prattling on about homeostasis and negative feedback loops and whatnot.

YES, great point - BEHAVIOR MOD is a classic reason for smaller subtle lifestyle changes. Small changes last a long time whereas big changes tend to last a short time.

In fact, I too see the crossover between nutrition and training in this regard and have even modified certain nutrition tools (assessment forms, lectures) to accomodate training
issues.

yustas,
Often in the literature one will indeed see EPA+DHA (total n-3 fatty acids)mentioned specifically. The other components in fish oil aren’t the focus. The tough thing is finding and affording supplements that have a fairly high concentration of these as opposed to the common and low-potency (but affordable)30% type.
[/quote]

I see, so then is it a safe assumption that when experts on this site say they take let’s say 7 grams of fish oil it is 7 grams of EPA+DHA and not just total 7 grams of fat, because it would be more fat grams if one calculates EPA+DHA grams vs fat grams?

Thanks,
-Yustas

Took a week off for the first time in a while. Got back in the gym on sunday and man am I sore as hell!

Do you personally believe in training through DOMS? Is their any research on this?

Trying to decide if another rest day is in order(god that would suck).

HouseofAtlas,
Just FYI, you can find a ton of info. on PubMed (type this term into Google if unfamiliar, then cruise around the PubMed pages). Medial epicondylitis can be treated effectively with non-surgical methods but surgery on the area (which involves a potentially thickened or edematous common flexor tendon) brings great relief to many persistent cases.

I personally can’t see getting surgery for this (especially since my ankle is likely to need some this summer) and Im going to go get some ice right now!

There you are Charles.

Charles, Im training for strongman and need to know what you think about accumulation and intensification phases, more specifically.

Do you think doing an intensification macrocycle should be followed by an accumulation macrocycle or would one macrocycle that started with high volume and eventually tapered off to around half the total volume of the first week (over lets say 6-10 weeks?) be better.

I usually plan my training with a 6 week intensification cycle and a 3 week accumulation cycle, the INT cycle lasts six weeks because I seem to not be able to handle more than 6 weeks of weights over 85% of max (only the last three weeks I use over 90% on all major compound movements) and ACC cycle is three weeks because I feel I lose strength if I keep the weight under 90% of max for time than that.

I basically use the same movments (Overhead presses, squats, rows, pin pulls)in both phases and simply changes the rep/set parameters along with , of course lowering the intensity used on the ACC phase and this is where I also up the frequency.

What type of training planning, in regards to periodization have you found to be most effective?

Amir