Essential Nutrition Reading....

Im currently enrolled on an MSc with a couple of nutrition modules. Although the recommended reading list is extensive, are there any stand out academic books you would recommend? What’s on your reading list at the minute? Just curious…

Mick.

[quote]supermick wrote:
Im currently enrolled on an MSc with a couple of nutrition modules. Although the recommended reading list is extensive, are there any stand out academic books you would recommend? What’s on your reading list at the minute? Just curious…

Mick.[/quote]

Did they give you a relevant book list Mick ?

[quote]Dr. Stig wrote:
supermick wrote:

Mick.

Did they give you a relevant book list Mick ?[/quote]

yeah, u know the deal - katch and katch and the like. Just wondering if there were any gems others swear by or found particularly helpful.

[quote]supermick wrote:
Dr. Stig wrote:
supermick wrote:

Mick.

yeah, u know the deal - katch and katch and the like. Just wondering if there were any gems others swear by or found particularly helpful.

[/quote]

Is it more sports nutrition or something more pertaining to like RDA’s and infant nutrition and stuff. For instance my degree modules were all like general stuff and government reccs and defficiency diseases, where the masters was sports specific.

[quote]Dr. Stig wrote:
supermick wrote:
Dr. Stig wrote:
supermick wrote:

Mick.

Is it more sports nutrition or something more pertaining to like RDA’s and infant nutrition and stuff. For instance my degree modules were all like general stuff and government reccs and defficiency diseases, where the masters was sports specific.[/quote]

Both …
At present i understang british food organisations are adapting to a new food plate - whereas in the states the model has always been the food pyramid. These are always held as a standard and are good to compare when doing diet assessments to see where the client is coming up short for example…

Also the sport related stuff is essential.

Its a pain waiting for new editions to be published (Mcardle Katch and Katch). Its always brownie points in academia if the lastes journels and text is cited, as you know.

So - suggestions??

[quote]supermick wrote:
Dr. Stig wrote:
supermick wrote:
Dr. Stig wrote:
supermick wrote:

Mick.

Is it more sports nutrition or something more pertaining to like RDA’s and infant nutrition and stuff. For instance my degree modules were all like general stuff and government reccs and defficiency diseases, where the masters was sports specific.

Both …
At present i understang british food organisations are adapting to a new food plate - whereas in the states the model has always been the food pyramid. These are always held as a standard and are good to compare when doing diet assessments to see where the client is coming up short for example…

Also the sport related stuff is essential.

Its a pain waiting for new editions to be published (Mcardle Katch and Katch). Its always brownie points in academia if the lastes journels and text is cited, as you know.

So - suggestions??[/quote]

Well some of the stuff on our reecc reading list in MSc was like Michael Colgan stuff, ‘Optimum Nutrition’ and some physiology books.

But main nutrition books I would recc are…

Dietary Reference Values of Food Energy and Nutrients for the United by Dept.of Health, published by Stationery Office Books 1991

Human Nutrition and Dietetics by James, W.P.T., Ralph, Alan, published by Elsevier Health Sciences 1999

McCance and Widdowson’s the Composition of Foods by Food Standards Agency, published by Royal Society of Chemistry 2002

Plus this one which is very useful
but slightly off topic.

Textbook of Endocrine Physiology
Edited by James E. Griffin and Sergio R. Ojeda

Think its on its fifth outing that book.

The first three are probably more useful to the course than actually becomming a nutritional guru if you see what I mean.

Just so you don’t think I pulled those suggestions off some website, I’ve snapped a shot of my fifth recc there, Textbook of Endocrine Physiology, but mines the third addition. Its now on its fifth edition.
Its a wealth of useful information, some of the crap I post on these forums comes from that book sometimes as a source of info.

[quote]Dr. Stig wrote:
Just so you don’t think I pulled those suggestions off some website, I’ve snapped a shot of my fifth recc there, Textbook of Endocrine Physiology, but mines the third addition. Its now on its fifth edition.
Its a wealth of useful information, some of the crap I post on these forums comes from that book sometimes as a source of info. [/quote]

I have that one. Then again, being the official “library monitor” at my clinic means I have a lot of these books on hand…and no, I don’t have any additions to what you wrote. I don’t read any books strictly for basic nutritional knowledge unless it is disease related.

I think Mick is going to want some stuff that is more sports nutrition specific. Well the info on this site would be of more use. Most ‘sports’ nutrition books are bloody awful.

Obviously the most current research information is usually found in journals. Books usually come out years after the research has been published

For muscle protein metabolism you’d be wise to look up Robert Wolfe, Kevin Tipton, Stuart Phillips, Martin Gibabla, and Michael Rennie.

I have several of these in PDF format.

[quote]Kinetix wrote:
Obviously the most current research information is usually found in journals. Books usually come out years after the research has been published

For muscle protein metabolism you’d be wise to look up Robert Wolfe, Kevin Tipton, Stuart Phillips, Martin Gibabla, and Michael Rennie.

I have several of these in PDF format.[/quote]

Journals might be useful when writing articles or doing a Ph.D

For an MSc not really essential. That’s my take anyway. As I said in the thread that I polluted in the off topic section, most MSc Ex/Nut are wank. Including the one I did.

[quote]Kinetix wrote:

I have several of these in PDF format.[/quote]

Id love to get some of those off you! Ill Pm you my email address too.
Also, anything with Burke, Lemon, Tarnopolsky and Tipton…

Journals are totally essential.

[quote]supermick wrote:
Kinetix wrote:

I have several of these in PDF format.

Id love to get some of those off you! Ill Pm you my email address too.
Also, anything with Burke, Lemon, Tarnopolsky and Tipton…

Journals are totally essential.[/quote]

What sort of MSc you doing, if I might ask ?

As far as the latest journals are concerned…

The masters is essentially the degree of the skilled craftsperson, the proof that the candidate knows the tools of the trade and can use them. Not necessarily to provide up to the minute info on any given area of the core topic.

A doctorate on the other hand is going to require the latest journals and extensive info. The candidate here must present a significant (unlike MSc) that will require stature, immense detial, evidence and extreme conviction of presentation and/or argument.