T Nation

Essential Amino Acids?

The egg does have all the amino acids, or at least all those that are incorporated into proteins, and in entirely suitable ratios. (I don’t know if it has “odd” ones like taurine, but taurine isn’t used to build proteins.

Just as a side note, it’s essential for infants and cats, though, and beneficial to adult humans in small amounts. It probably is present in the egg, it’s just that I never checked and so don’t want to assume it.)

There are other complete sources of protein, for example milk or meat, but whole egg is certainly a fine source.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
The egg does have all the amino acids, or at least all those that are incorporated into proteins, and in entirely suitable ratios. (I don’t know if it has “odd” ones like taurine, but taurine isn’t used to build proteins.

Just as a side note, it’s essential for infants and cats, though, and beneficial to adult humans in small amounts. It probably is present in the egg, it’s just that I never checked and so don’t want to assume it.)

There are other complete sources of protein, for example milk or meat, but whole egg is certainly a fine source.[/quote]

Thanks Bill

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

(Not that it was anything much, to be sure!)

Btw, as your point on eggs inspired wondering about whether they contained taurine, I checked. (Google is just such a convenient thing, isn’t it? At least for those things that can be found out that way, which these days is a lot of things.)

Eggs are high in taurine.

I don’t think your body could make proteins with just peanut butter then because you would be missing an essential AA. That means you could not recover from your workouts.

You know, I’m probably getting loopy from being too tired (need to go back to bed, wasn’t able to sleep) and as a result am posting irrelevant things simply from chain-of-association.

This is another one.

It seems that both at the time and ever since, people in general just never spotted EAS’s (the supplement company’s) “secret weapon” (IMO) back in the Muscle Media 2000 days when indeed EAS supplements did just seem better, for the same thing, than other companies apparently-identical products.

EAS cleverly – I don’t know who came up with this – used taurine as their filler. This way it was not listed as an active, and people in general just ignored it was there.

It was just filler, right? And actually it’s a perfectly reasonable filler: its physical properties are good for that, and it’s plenty cheap enough for that purpose.

But of course it’s perceived at moderately stimulatory by many people and has modest performance enhancement and health benefits.

So EAS products with the exact same ingredient in the exact same amount DID feel and perform better than the competition, due to their choice of filler. It wasn’t just a “somehow it seems this way but there’s no possible real cause” thing.

And it seemed no one ever caught on to the method: anyway, no one ever duplicated it that I know of. It’s possible of course that some recognized it but chose not to do it; I would have no way of knowing it.

But whenever I mention it to anyone in the industry it’s been new and surprising to them, they had no idea that this edge was being obtained this way during EAS’ golden years (which are very distinct from the “golden man” years.)

(We don’t do it because, if you want taurine, take taurine. A jar of the powder is very cheap. And it’s not the case that more is better, beyond a quite limited amount.

If a high percentage of supplements you took had added taurine, and you take a number of supplements you’d get diarrhea, so in general it’s not a good idea. But if getting it as filler of just one or two products, that’s not a problem.

It certainly can be appropriate for select products, certainly for example for something that’s intended to provide very complete nutrition, for example.)

Undoubtedly more information than anyone wanted to have on taurine as a filler :slight_smile:

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
You know, I’m probably getting loopy from being too tired (need to go back to bed, wasn’t able to sleep) and as a result am posting irrelevant things simply from chain-of-association.

This is another one.

It seems that both at the time and ever since, people in general just never spotted EAS’s (the supplement company’s) “secret weapon” (IMO) back in the Muscle Media 2000 days when indeed EAS supplements did just seem better, for the same thing, than other companies apparently-identical products.

EAS cleverly – I don’t know who came up with this – used taurine as their filler. This way it was not listed as an active, and people in general just ignored it was there. It was just filler, right? And actually it’s a perfectly reasonable filler: its physical properties are good for that, and it’s plenty cheap enough for that purpose.

But of course it’s perceived at moderately stimulatory by many people and has modest performance enhancement and health benefits.

So EAS products with the exact same ingredient in the exact same amount DID feel and perform better than the competition, due to their choice of filler. It wasn’t just a “somehow it seems this way but there’s no possible real cause” thing. And it seemed no one ever caught on to the method: anyway, no one ever duplicated it that I know of. It’s possible of course that some recognized it but chose not to do it; I would have no way of knowing it. But whenever I mention it to anyone in the industry it’s been new and surprising to them, they had no idea that this edge was being obtained this way during EAS’ golden years (which are very distinct from the “golden man” years.)

(We don’t do it because, if you want taurine, take taurine. A jar of the powder is very cheap. And it’s not the case that more is better, beyond a quite limited amount. If a high percentage of supplements you took had added taurine, and you take a number of supplements you’d get diarrhea, so in general it’s not a good idea. But if getting it as filler of just one or two products, that’s not a problem. It certainly can be appropriate for select products, certainly for example for something that’s intended to provide very complete nutrition, for example.)

Undoubtedly more information than anyone wanted to have on taurine as a filler :)[/quote]

I remember reading in one of Thibs posts mentioning that taurine is used in a lot of the new energy drinks.

but why did I also think that it had the effect of calming you down too?

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

but why did I also think that it had the effect of calming you down too?

[/quote]

Because you read that in the same post by CT, that taurine eventually calms the CNS and this why companies love to use it; it gets users hooked on the idea that they need to remain amped (due to the “crash”).

But if that is true, I don’t know why he (or at least I know Poliquin does this) would use Taurine as a pre-workout CNS stimulant, if it is possible to ‘calm down’ during your workout. Maybe because you wouldn’t feel that but would feel the CNS activation.

I didn’t feel anything from acetyl-l-carnitine at the 3g dose that CP recommended pre-workout and upon rising, so I don’t expect to feel much from Taurine.

Rage Against the Machine does plenty for me, as does ‘Jambi’ from the 10,000 days Tool album :slight_smile:

I believe it is the Leucine that is the limiting factor, and you need about 5 grams to enhance protein synthesis. So if the Leucine is 50% of the BCAA mixture, then you would need 10 grams of BCAAs. I am doing straight Leucine powder now with good results, but I will have to switch to BCAAs when it runs out, as Leucine isn’t available here.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

but why did I also think that it had the effect of calming you down too?

Because you read that in the same post by CT, that taurine eventually calms the CNS and this why companies love to use it; it gets users hooked on the idea that they need to remain amped (due to the “crash”).

But if that is true, I don’t know why he (or at least I know Poliquin does this) would use Taurine as a pre-workout CNS stimulant, if it is possible to ‘calm down’ during your workout. Maybe because you wouldn’t feel that but would feel the CNS activation.

I didn’t feel anything from acetyl-l-carnitine at the 3g dose that CP recommended pre-workout and upon rising, so I don’t expect to feel much from Taurine.

Rage Against the Machine does plenty for me, as does ‘Jambi’ from the 10,000 days Tool album :)[/quote]

Thanks Ponce!

I knew I had read it somewhere

Thats awesome on so many levels. Its often forgotten, at least by me, that you can improve things in theory. But the business reality of it just might not be worth it. From either price or just how the product tastes/feels/dissolves for the customer. Particularly if the customer isn’t convinced of its awesomeness over the cosmetic factors. which are important.