T Nation

ESPN Football Broadcast Team

I watched the Packer-Seahawk game last night on ESPN and I have to say that the broadcast team of Summerall, Theisman, and Maguire is just horrible. Of course, I thought it was bad before with Mike Patrick, too.

Pat Summerall is just very bland and dull. When he was with Madden they balanced eachother out very nicely. They were great together for many years. Another problem is that maybe Pat is just getting too old. He missed a lot of calls last night, called players by the wrong name, never stated the down, distance, or yards to gain, among other things. I just really think he has been slipping the last few years.

As far as putting him in the ESPN crew…it was almost unbearable. None of them had any excitement or even interest in their voices. There were even periods of extended silence(which is ok during action, but I’m talking about in between plays). And I get tired of the endless ass-kissing with this crew. I just think the premier sports network could put out a better team, especially since the usually only have one game a week.

To be honest, there just aren’t that many good broudcasters out there(play-by-play and color commentary). Al Michaels is good, but with Madden they tend to drift off sometimes. I liked Dan Fouts a lot, I’m not sure where he is though. Joe Buck is usually pretty good. Hell, I even kind of liked Dennis Miller, at least he could entertain me sometimes.

I guess this is my only gripe about the NFL.

Are you ready for some football,
Todd

[quote]malonetd wrote:
None of them had any excitement or even interest in their voices. There were even periods of extended silence(which is ok during action, but I’m talking about in between plays).[/quote]

I don’t know, it’s hard for me to get excited about preseason games too. Maybe they’ll liven up during the regualr season.

I will agree though, they’re not the best crew; and Theisman says some of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard. One time he said, “Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein.” That says it all.

The old (ie last year) ESPN crew was great. Seriously. Granted they didn’t always (or ever?) say the most intelligent things, THEY WERE ENTERTAINING without being annoying. Madden takes it to that next level, where entertaining becomes rambling bullshit and enters the land of total annoyingness. He just needs to stick with circling turkey legs on six legged turkeys, because, apparently, we can’t count that high ON OUR OWN. F*CKING JACKASS.

Bastard F*ck Guy