T Nation

Erector Spinae Rehab

I’ve pulled or injured my right Erector, just from over use i’m sure. I don’t want to take much time off. Is there anything that you guys would recommend to rehab this? I sit in a massage chair regularly and wear KT bands all the time. Any thing else good? Stretches? exercises? Rolling? Thank you so much!

dude don’t try and strengthen your erector spinae. Strengthen your GLUTES.

The whole reason your erector spinae are overused in the first place is because of your mimsy glutes. Seriously, get them glutes strong and you’ll never have to worry about your erector spinae again.

[quote]whitfit wrote:
I’ve pulled or injured my right Erector, just from over use i’m sure. I don’t want to take much time off. Is there anything that you guys would recommend to rehab this? I sit in a massage chair regularly and wear KT bands all the time. Any thing else good? Stretches? exercises? Rolling? Thank you so much![/quote]

rds is right you need to check other areas for biomechanical impairments, such as your glutes.
The erector spinae strain may just be a secondary injury because of compensation of another ill performing region.

I agree.

As the other commentors stated, inhibited glute function is a precursor to many low back injuries, even more so when they are a strain injury. I would assume your erector spinae was one of the strongest muscles in your posterior chain pre injury. You want to restore balance to the muscles involved in hip extension, and strengthen the deep core musculature.

A quadruped progression is a great jumping off point for that, as well as bridging progresions, both prone and supine. Reference the watkins core stabilzation program, a pdf of it is easily found online, try to find a version with diagrams to accompany the progression, the original text is very wordy and can be confusing if you aren’t familiar with the anatomical terminology, fortunately some good souls have put out more simplistic versions with better visual aids. Focus on posture during daily activity as well. I wouldn’t waste your money on KT Bands either, but that is a personal opinion.

try not to sit in chairs (massage ones or otherwise)

I appreciate the help so much. It makes a lot of sense now. My training partners always complain about there ass burning and being sore after a Dead Lift workout. I’ve never felt it in my ass, I get it now, my erectors take most of volume. I will work on my glutes. Thank you so much! Any who, any good recovery techniques for my erector for the time being? Thank you guys so much!

You may need to work on more than your glutes… (at least if you want any hope of activating them)
Many lifters are low-back AND quad dominant on deadlifts. Could this apply to you?

If you deem it so, it may take considerable stretching in your quads, in conjunction with other things (more work on abs, hamstrings, etc) to wake up your glutes. Also sounds like you might be favoring one side. So keep that in mind.

Try some LIGHT stretching for your erectors:
supine ‘knee(s)-to-chest’ or laying face down on stability ball should help

This is great info for me… I couldn’t thank you enough, I have a very serious competition less than 2 months from now and just recently got my first sponsor. I couldn’t possibly thank you enough. If you have any other info/tips i’m open ears. Thank you again.