Equivalence of Food

Hi, I just want to know if you guys had any trick to mesure your food. What I mean is when you say you eat 1 cup of brocoli or one cup of green pepper, how much is that exactly? I mean it is not like liquid of powder, you can’t mesure it easily so how much is it give or take.

Thanks

[quote]neoplasme wrote:
Hi, I just want to know if you guys had any trick to mesure your food. What I mean is when you say you eat 1 cup of brocoli or one cup of green pepper, how much is that exactly? I mean it is not like liquid of powder, you can’t mesure it easily so how much is it give or take.

Thanks[/quote]

It usually states serving size and number of servings per container near the nutrition facts on the package.

That’s for frozen vegetables. For fresh vegetables, after a while you get good at guesstimating.

Some people use a food scale, also known sometimes as a nutritional scale.

Don’t sweat it too much, a few cals from healthy vegetables is not a big deal, usually…

Just eyeball a portion the size of your fist. If it’s a little less or little more than a cup who cares? The calories and carbs are so little they shouldn’t hinder fat loss or muscle gain.

A “cup” is actually a proper measure; 230ml / 8 fl.oz (half a pint :smiley: )

For measuring veggies don’t worry about it, but if you’re cooking or baking according to a recipe you’ll probably want to measure it properly. Concider picking up a cheap plastic measuring cup.

I usually measure my food using a small food scale(mostly for meat) and based on the oz I just go to fitday.com and look up the nutrient info for that food based on portion size(a little tedious but I’m new to all of this and its not even that bad). Measuring your food intake also gives you a lot of peace of mind :slight_smile:

When it comes to most things, I just guess. Especially vegetables. If you eat too many they aren’t going to make you fat. Lean meats, I don’t worry either, a few extra grams of protein won’t hurt.

For other meats I’ve got a food scale. Things like nuts, Peanut butter, dried fruit, I’ve measured often enough that I can eye ball it, but every now and then I will check them in the measuring cup.