Equipment Specificity

What is the difference in distance from the ends of the plates with calibrated vs. regular iron plates? It can’t be a huge difference. The other thing is that a lot of plates are 44 cm and calibrated plates are usually 44cm.

Do you compete? Which fed?

I’m competing in 3 weeks, Gonna be a ipf affiliate.
Also, travelling to a gym that has proper equipment doesnt really seem worth it at this point in time

I think IPF is the only fed that uses a stiff bar for deadlifts so you are in luck, I doubt the bumper plates would make any difference unless you were either using a really whippy bar or pulling maybe 600+.

The plates I used at my last gym, starting with two 100s then 45s would barely fit the 775 I loaded. With calibrated plates I could mostly likely easily fit 4 more 25kg plates per side after loading 775 ish

This shit ain’t rocket science. Give me a non-slip platform, and good spotters and I’m a happy camper. Everything else, I can adapt to on the fly.

I sometimes use different bars in the gym (even the crappy warped ones), and use different benches, sometimes using a loose bench in the rack because I don’t believe you should become attached to equipment. There is no way to predict what the equipment is like.

Deal with it and do your best with what they have.

1 Like

The more resources the better but with a regular bar, a decent bench pad and a squat rack you can do about anything.

I went from going to my gym that has nice bars, and steel calibrated/non calibrated plates, to training at my friend’s crossfit box (for his powerlifting program there). I couldn’t get in my groove honestly. The barbells were beat the fuck up and I don’t foresee myself doing anything more than 405 with the big bumper plates.