Equipment Questions

My workload has been increasing, and i’m being told that i should wear a belt, etc. i’m thinking they have a point because my lower back twinged a little on heavy deads. I don’t know much about this stuff, so i’m asking.

Belts. fat, slim? i see all kinds of sizes. i imagine a “higher/fatter one” but i have no clue. can it\ should it be worn for all lifts? just the heavy squats/deads? pulls?

Straps. i know-- leather. i have cloth that i only use on heavy deads and front squats.

Shoes- would lifting shoes be a benefit? for what? why? i have recently started doing squats with a raised heel.(standing on the edge of a mat). they did feel good and i was more confident using a heavier weight, and it seems to have put less stress on my quad/patella tendons.

Patella Tendon straps… ct has said that he used them and they were wonderful. from what i have read, they are for patella tracking/patella tendon. could they be helpful for the quad tendon? my pain is above the kneecaps. just next to the teardrop muscle. that “space” between the kneecap and the quad muscle.

thanks for all the help

I’m going to drop my two cents here since these questions seem to be rather simple.

  1. Belts: From what I understand it’s common between most guys to go with broader belts for squats and slimmer ones for pulls - instead of buying two different belts I just came across one that suited both needs. Broader belts might end up pinching your stomach or not allowing you to drop down to the optimal position for pulls, while slimmer belts for squats could be too “little” extra support for abdominals and lower back.
    I’m sure oly lifters might have a different opinion so I’m looking forward to hear what CT has to say about this.

You shouldn’t use belts unless you’re working above 85%. I personally only wear them on squats and deadlifts but many lifters opt to wear them for bench and OHP aswell. It’s your choice. Do never wear a belt on a seated movement.

  1. Straps: You answered it. Rippetoe has some nice tips about this on SS. Check it out if you can.

  2. Shoes: Getting a weighlifting shoe is one of the best investiments a serious lifter could make. Marathon runners wear running shoes, football players wear cleats - why wouldn’t you wear a shoe that is designed to someone who lifts weights and is structured to handle a serious amount of load? No brainer. Get one. I owe a pair of Romaleos 2 and couldn’t be happier.

  3. Knee straps: I personally do not wear them so I have zero experience here. Hope someone can chime in.

However, besides from shoes and belts and sometimes straps (unless facing injuries), like Wendler said, you should avoid leaning on crutches when it comes to training. This is one sound advise that I’ll never get out of my head. Unless it’s absolutely necessary, you should double check to see if you really need it. Since I’m always banged up from football, I always catch myself looking at wrist wraps, athletic tapes, etc, and asking if I really need them. Most of the time the answer is no.

Anyway man, I hope you can make something good out this info.

@brant
thanks for the info. youbasically confirmed my thoughts about the belt and shoes. ive felt a possible need for these lately in the squats and deads. and since i havent come close to “needing” a belt or even straps yet in pulls, ill wait on that aspect.
with regards to the belt, is there any particular material, or model type i should look for?
thanks

[quote]domcib wrote:
@brant
thanks for the info. youbasically confirmed my thoughts about the belt and shoes. ive felt a possible need for these lately in the squats and deads. and since i havent come close to “needing” a belt or even straps yet in pulls, ill wait on that aspect.
with regards to the belt, is there any particular material, or model type i should look for?
thanks
[/quote]

I only use my belt for squats, rows, and the occasional good morning so I went with a 10mm leather belt from Best belts (lots of quality brands to choose from here). However, I have a friend who wears his for basically everything heavy and he bought the Spud deadlift belt. I tried it own and must say it was very comfortable and supportive.

Also I remember reading a livespill that Wil Fleming just wore a cheap Valeo Velcro belt when he did his 300lb clean complex.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:
@brant
thanks for the info. youbasically confirmed my thoughts about the belt and shoes. ive felt a possible need for these lately in the squats and deads. and since i havent come close to “needing” a belt or even straps yet in pulls, ill wait on that aspect.
with regards to the belt, is there any particular material, or model type i should look for?
thanks
[/quote]

I only use my belt for squats, rows, and the occasional good morning so I went with a 10mm leather belt from Best belts (lots of quality brands to choose from here). However, I have a friend who wears his for basically everything heavy and he bought the Spud deadlift belt. I tried it own and must say it was very comfortable and supportive.

Also I remember reading a livespill that Wil Fleming just wore a cheap Valeo Velcro belt when he did his 300lb clean complex.[/quote]

I`m likely using an even cheaper velcro belt than he is :slight_smile: If you plan on doing olympic lift variations or pulls, a leather belt (even a regular one, not a thick one) might hurt your performance because if you pull close to the body you might actually hit the buckle.

I also like that with the velcro you have more adjustability and can quickly put it on and take it off (useful when using a circuit that includes for example heavy squats then jumps).

looks like harbinger 5inch belt should do the trick. velcro.
shoes may be tough im 14eee. i will have to try 14d’s.

@ct
regarding thos patella straps you have. did you have pain on top of knee cap?

I narrowly avoided a potentially bad accident by catching the buckle doing cleans a while ago. First time I’d tried a belt with them and definitely the last lol. I generally use a Velcro strap belt made from some stretchy shit. Seems to support my back enough and I have a history of back problems which also runs in my family. I tend to wear it for rows, pretty much all pulling especially when I’m near max weights and occasionally overhead pressing. I also wear it day to day if my backs hurting and it seems to help. Best 10£ I ever spent actually. I don’t use anything else though.

I also wear a cheap velcro belt, call it living on the edge. I think the best part of velcro belts is that it is just so much simpler to handle (in/out).

I’ve lost count of how many times I finished a set and was so light headed that I could barely find the end of the belt and just rip it open. I cannot image how hard it must be for you to find the buckle and do all that unbelting shit after a hard effort.

[quote]domcib wrote:
looks like harbinger 5inch belt should do the trick. velcro.
shoes may be tough im 14eee. i will have to try 14d’s.

@ct
regarding thos patella straps you have. did you have pain on top of knee cap?[/quote]

Yes, it was directly over the knee cap

thanks ct. and everyone else for the advice
i finally ordered myself the following
belt… harbinger 5 inch velcro… it looks like it should work
shoes. addidas from eastbay. size 14. nike is always narrow on me so lets hope the addidas will fit.
wrist brace with double straps… wrist is better, but not 100% yet… hopefully this brace will help
i got these patellar tendon sleeves with strap. lets see how it goes. i figure i can use these when driving long distances also…:slight_smile:

next on the wish list is the eleiko sport training 45lb bar… i was getting ready to pull the trigger on this one, but at 800 bucks, i figure i give my lifting another week or so to see how things go

[quote]domcib wrote:
thanks ct. and everyone else for the advice
i finally ordered myself the following
belt… harbinger 5 inch velcro… it looks like it should work
shoes. addidas from eastbay. size 14. nike is always narrow on me so lets hope the addidas will fit.
wrist brace with double straps… wrist is better, but not 100% yet… hopefully this brace will help
i got these patellar tendon sleeves with strap. lets see how it goes. i figure i can use these when driving long distances also…:slight_smile:

next on the wish list is the eleiko sport training 45lb bar… i was getting ready to pull the trigger on this one, but at 800 bucks, i figure i give my lifting another week or so to see how things go[/quote]

I actually have that exact same belt and so does my wife

ct.
on another subject, i have a ?
i hit the hi pulls, snatch, cleans,and push press the other day . i hit em pretty hard. i was testing my wrist ro see how much it could handle. next morning i woke up with terrible lower back pain/stiffness. right now i can barely walk.

heavy deads and squats have not bothered me.
is it possible my pain is from me not being used to the explosive hip drive from the pulls etc?
aside from that, i dont have a clue as to why it hurts so much, or how it happened.

Domcib: Do yourself a favor and buy yourself some Elite FTS Bands and perform Band Goodmornings (Bent and Stiffed Legged) for high reps and/or for warm-ups before you pull (at least 20 or so reps)… they helped me tremendously with my pulling and cured my lower back pains, soreness, and cramping.

You might also consider incorporating a few sets of Seated Goodmornings post workout for 3-5 sets of 8-20 reps with 30-50kg. The hold on this exercise is important. For the bands you probably will need to purchase two (2) Pro Monster Mini (Black) and two (2) Pro Light (Orange)… this way you can combine the bands for more resistance as you get stronger.

Good luck.

riccochet,
thanks for the advice. weird. i never had an issue like this. today is 2 days later, and thank goodness its better than it was this morning.
to me, thatmeans no injury, just stress from work that i wasnt used to. but, now that i know, i will include some of your suggestions in my warmups on pull days.
been walkin around all day like i got a stick up my …xxx…xx. lol. and i had to to a long distance, 1 way move today. uggghhh

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:
thanks ct. and everyone else for the advice
i finally ordered myself the following
belt… harbinger 5 inch velcro… it looks like it should work
shoes. addidas from eastbay. size 14. nike is always narrow on me so lets hope the addidas will fit.
wrist brace with double straps… wrist is better, but not 100% yet… hopefully this brace will help
i got these patellar tendon sleeves with strap. lets see how it goes. i figure i can use these when driving long distances also…:slight_smile:

next on the wish list is the eleiko sport training 45lb bar… i was getting ready to pull the trigger on this one, but at 800 bucks, i figure i give my lifting another week or so to see how things go[/quote]

I actually have that exact same belt and so does my wife[/quote]
was supposed to come on monday, but arrived today. i used it on my motorcycle ride and it felt great!
my lower. back ismuch better. pain isalmost. completely gone. thats some weird stuff.
got my sheik straps also. will try them out next week.

so far i have used the belt… holy toledo!!!~ i should have got one of these a long time ago.
my strained back is much better except for a solid pain in one place.
rode my motorcycle with it and it felt great.
today i used it while benching… AMAZING!!
cant wait to try it on other lifts

[quote]domcib wrote:
so far i have used the belt… holy toledo!!!~ i should have got one of these a long time ago.
my strained back is much better except for a solid pain in one place.
rode my motorcycle with it and it felt great.
today i used it while benching… AMAZING!!
cant wait to try it on other lifts[/quote]

It’s supposedly amazing for barbell curls in the power rack.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:
so far i have used the belt… holy toledo!!!~ i should have got one of these a long time ago.
my strained back is much better except for a solid pain in one place.
rode my motorcycle with it and it felt great.
today i used it while benching… AMAZING!!
cant wait to try it on other lifts[/quote]

It’s supposedly amazing for barbell curls in the power rack.[/quote]

hmmm? so now you gonna get me doin some curls? :slight_smile: curl strength is way behind last year, but i havent focused much on that.
in the rackfrom pins?
ok, i like that challenge.

addidas 89 shoes from eastbay. size is tight, bu t manageable. i like them a lot. firm sole and heels. been walking around in sneakers and flip flops for so many yearsnow. just got a new motor cycle. havent ridden in 20 years. put my boots on tht i hvent worn in 20 years. wow what a difference walkin around with. heel. it helps correect the posture.
now the weighlifting shoes give similar support!
ive been in the dark ages for way too long.

Coach, I have finally started Oly lifting after many years of wussing out. Turning 40 is great time to start! :slight_smile:
Do you think I need, or should, get a pair of lifting shoes(elevated heel)? or can I execute the lifts correctly training in flat shoes?
I ask because of my experience with the snatch so far: I have found that as soon as some weight is on the bar, the rock-bottom squat position of the snatch felt so much better with my heels slightly elevated on a couple of tiny 1kg plates… Using just the bar, absolutely no ‘mobilty’ issue was apparent -easily did multiple reps without the help of the slight heel elevation, and with good form.

I have always squatted ass-to-grass and deadlifted without any heel elevation, and have very good ankle mobility, but that catch then rock-bottom overhead squat - even with only 50kg**- is mechanically/technically humbling!

**haha at my complete-noob-at-oly snatching starting weights!