T Nation

Equipment For Getting Started

I’m looking at building a gym at home as I’ve just moved to a place thats far from commercial gyms. But everywhere I look, it seems like I need a bunch of equipment. Take this list for example - http://www.elitefts.com/documents/kick_ass.htm

Do I really need all this stuff? Whats the difference between Olympic and standard barbells, and do I need to spend more for Olympic or can I save my money here? Do I need a power rack?

Thanks for the advice!

[quote]fooman wrote:
I’m looking at building a gym at home as I’ve just moved to a place thats far from commercial gyms. But everywhere I look, it seems like I need a bunch of equipment. Take this list for example - http://www.elitefts.com/documents/kick_ass.htm

Do I really need all this stuff? Whats the difference between Olympic and standard barbells, and do I need to spend more for Olympic or can I save my money here? Do I need a power rack?

Thanks for the advice![/quote]

No you dont need that all to get going. A very good star would be a power rack, a solid adjustable bench, and an oly bar and 300lbs of wieght. That and doing chins from your Power rack will build one hell of a physique then add as you can in time

Dont skimp on the Power rack get one that will last forever you wont oyut grow the elitefts is top DOG Nybb and bad

then get a bar and 300lbs total at say Dicks/ sports authority for $99 you can get more plates ltr and buy a higher quality bar as well

Phill

You are a beginner so you don’t need all that stuff. Get a power rack with built-in pullup/chin bar, flat/incline adjustable bench, and olympic barbell set.

Some adjustable dumbbells to at least 100 lbs each would be a nice add.

Sandbags are also a fun cheap addition. You can make your own sled from an old tire.

If you really have no money just go with the sandbag ($20-30) and an olympic barbell set ($99).

[quote]Phill wrote:
fooman wrote:

Thanks for the advice!

No you dont need that all to get going. A very good star would be a power rack, a solid adjustable bench, and an oly bar and 300lbs of wieght. That and doing chins from your Power rack will build one hell of a physique then add as you can in time

Dont skimp on the Power rack get one that will last forever you wont oyut grow the elitefts is top DOG Nybb and bad

then get a bar and 300lbs total at say Dicks/ sports authority for $99 you can get more plates ltr and buy a higher quality bar as well

Phill

[/quote]

pretty much… a nice adjustable bench and you are set, check craigslist and ebay everyday as well you can end up getting some good stuff for dirt

Ive saved HUNDREDS if not over a thousand on stuff I have gotten off ebay in just the past 6 months.

depending on space a set of adjustable dumbells is nice (I have powerblocks), or you can just use adjustable olympic DB handles. If cash is a concern.

All I have is a cheap bar, two dumbbell handles, a little over 200 kg in plates, some collars, a weight belt and chalk.

I’ve been thinking of getting a pair of sawhorses so I can do front squats and dips. Also making a lifting platform and getting a proper Olympic bar once I learn to go heavier on the O-lifts. A pullup bar would be good, too. But not having those things isn’t keeping me from making progress.

Probably should have mentioned I was from Australia, so Dick’s is a no-go-er.

Is this (while expensive) what I should be on the look out for?

Yeah something like that but you can probably do better with a little searching.

The weight ratings look a little low. Rubber covered easy grip weights cost a lot extra. Holes look a little far apart but not horrible. More holes the better. Extra set of pins is a nice thing to have.

From ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Power-Rack-with-Dumbbells-Barbells-145KG-Weights_W0QQitemZ280117444490QQihZ018QQcategoryZ48848QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like the same but with EZ curl bar and dumbbells for $100 less.

Wow, thank you for finding that. I’m looking at ebay now (although I would prefer to buy from a ‘real’ store). Thanks again