Equality on the Bus

I have been taking the bus to save money. Today an older women in her late 40’s early 50’s said. I should give up my seat for a lady. I told her she fought for equality and I am sitting. It was a pack bus, I had 3 to transfers to take, and I was up since 5:30am(8am by this time).

She was not disabled/pregnant/elderly or a small child. Then she was so pissed when I told her “no you fought for equality etc etc”, She went on for 20 mins about how her sons would treat women right. Since when does having a vagina entitle women to a mans seat? Maybe if she was my friend. I would definitely give it up for my wife. But not a stranger.

Am I completely missing the point of equality?

Nope. She sounds like a bully with an over inflated sense of entitlement. Stare her down!

I would stand.

and it’s got nothing to do with equality.

How do you know she fought for equality? Was she wearing a “NOW” t-shirt? No bra? Hairy legs and armpits? Did you consider maybe she was just french-canadian?

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I would stand. [/quote]

This.

I mean, I get your point, but come on.

Give her your seat and go one about your day. Bitching and moaning is for the weak.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
and it’s got nothing to do with equality. [/quote]

Those are great words but why would you do it?

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
How do you know she fought for equality? Was she wearing a “NOW” t-shirt? No bra? Hairy legs and armpits? Did you consider maybe she was just french-canadian?

http://www.cafepress.com/+national-organization-for-women+t-shirts[/quote]

Yeah she said she fought for equality for pay, equality for race. But you should lady’s should still be treated like ladies, was her point.

[quote]dirtman wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Those are great words but why would you do it?[/quote]

Because I believe in Chivalry. I think it doesn’t matter how the women acts (or a lot of women act in today’s world) it matters how I act and conduct myself.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]dirtman wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Those are great words but why would you do it?[/quote]

Because I believe in Chivalry. I think it doesn’t matter how the women acts (or a lot of women act in today’s world) it matters how I act and conduct myself. [/quote]

I respect that, thanks for chiming in.

I’m sort of two minds about this. On one hand, chivalry dictates that you give up your seat, on the other hand I think that invoking chivalry waives any right the woman has to chivalrous treatment. And on the middle leg, the more non-chivalrous types there are, the more chivalry will impress the ladies.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I would stand. [/quote]

Good for you. So would I.

In fact I would stand for any woman of any age AND any elderly man and often do. It’s called politeness.

I’ll offer up my seat to anyone. The way I see it, if I can spend most of my spare time lifting and exercising then I’m pretty sure I can handle standing up for a few minutes.

Same goes for holding open a door.

What does equality have to do with behaving like a man? Treat women the same way you would expect your own mother, sisters or daughters to be treated. Not every woman is a militant feminist or reality show whore. Sometimes how we treat strangers says more about us than how we treat those we know.

[quote]FarmerBrett wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I would stand. [/quote]

In fact I would stand for any woman of any age AND any elderly man and often do. It’s called politeness.

I’ll offer up my seat to anyone. The way I see it, if I can spend most of my spare time lifting and exercising then I’m pretty sure I can handle standing up for a few minutes.

Same goes for holding open a door. [/quote]

She never asked politely, she just made of point of being rude and demanding about it. Publicly and loud. Cause she is a lady(questionable) all women should have the seats without asking on a packed(sardines) bus.

I’ll give up my seat to anyone, male or female, who is elderly or seems infirm or tired. Also parents, male or female, of very young children. I’m healthy. It’s my privilege.

I’ve also been offered mens’ seats, which I accept graciously regardless of their age (so I’ll accept the offer of a man old enough that I might offer HIM a seat if I were sitting and he was standing).

[quote]dirtman wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I would stand. [/quote]

She never asked politely, she just made of point of being rude and demanding about it. Publicly and loud. Cause she is a lady(questionable) all women should have the seats without asking on a packed(sardines) bus.
[/quote]

Yeah, that’s obnoxious. Not sure what I would do in your place.

Most women nowadays don’t actually like chivalry. Even most of the ones who say things like “Oh everyone talks like chivalry is dead, but I still love it.” don’t actually respond to chivalry, they just imagine that they would, but in reality they respond to the wry jerkoff just like every other chick.

Equality for women is you giving up your seat for them, you holding the door for them, you putting the toilet seat down every time even though an equitable division of labor would mean that you put it up and she puts it down, and it means you get to stay on the sinking ship and die while she snuggles into a life boat.

That being said, I’m a total fucking sucker, and I would do all that chivalry crap lol. I don’t really even know why anymore.

Equality is made up word to make girls feel better. So you dont wanna give her a seat when she asked? Why dont you wear a dress too, and let the women open doors for you and get you flowers and chocolate.

[quote]dirtman wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I would stand. [/quote]

[/quote]

Well that’s not cool, unfortunately there are arseholes of both sexes, but I’d still have stood for her.

Like I said it’s not done out of chivalry, just politeness. I give up a seat or hold open a door for anyone. Half the time they don’t say thanks, but what are you going to do? Stop holding doors for people and become an arsehole yourself?

[quote]csulli wrote:
Most women nowadays don’t actually like chivalry. Even most of the ones who say things like “Oh everyone talks like chivalry is dead, but I still love it.” don’t actually respond to chivalry, they just imagine that they would, but in reality they respond to the wry jerkoff just like every other chick.

Equality for women is you giving up your seat for them, you holding the door for them, you putting the toilet seat down every time even though an equitable division of labor would mean that you put it up and she puts it down, and it means you get to stay on the sinking ship and die while she snuggles into a life boat.

That being said, I’m a total fucking sucker, and I would do all that chivalry crap lol. I don’t really even know why anymore.[/quote]

Its hard to tell what you should do anymore. Some women get pissed if you open doors and cater to them( call you a creep etc). Some women love it and think its a good sign of manners etc.

I think if they are close to me, I will cater to them. Just how I was raised. Be polite to everyone but don’t let yourself get taken advantage of. Just like this lady was trying to do.