T Nation

Equal to Rack Chins

For all the people who dont know what a rack chin is its in the video but my question is is a sitting down lat pull down was equal. I think mainly the dc guys will be able to answer best but at the gym today i was talking to a guy who was doing lat pull downs by sitting down and hooking his feet on the seat. he was using a close parallel handle.

When i asked him why he liked those more he said better stretch and more control. Now the point of rack chins is to get a better stretch so i was wondering if this exercise is equal to a rack chin in terms of how effective the exercise is. http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&fkt=536&fsdt=3266&q=rack%20chins&aqi=g3&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv#

anyone?

I’m not sure I understand the “sitting” lat pull-downs that you’re describing. Are you talking about just regular lat-pulldowns? Or some other variation of them?

I think he’s referring to lat pulldowns with your ANKLES hooked (rather upper thighs) so your whole body is suspended between supports in a sense, or the closed chain (or open chain or whatever) equivalent of rack chins.

My opinion: never tried it, but I feel the slight additional assistance you get because of the inclusion of your lower body MAY make progression easier…o harm in trying it out I suppose.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
I’m not sure I understand the “sitting” lat pull-downs that you’re describing. Are you talking about just regular lat-pulldowns? Or some other variation of them?[/quote]

Did the guy look like he knew what he was doing?

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
I think he’s referring to lat pulldowns with your ANKLES hooked (rather upper thighs) so your whole body is suspended between supports in a sense, or the closed chain (or open chain or whatever) equivalent of rack chins.

My opinion: never tried it, but I feel the slight additional assistance you get because of the inclusion of your lower body MAY make progression easier…o harm in trying it out I suppose.

Sentoguy wrote:
I’m not sure I understand the “sitting” lat pull-downs that you’re describing. Are you talking about just regular lat-pulldowns? Or some other variation of them?

[/quote]

ya u got it its basically a lat pulldown but ur sitting on the floor instead of the seat. and to answer your other question ya guy was built haha

[quote]crod266 wrote:
tribunaldude wrote:

Sentoguy wrote:

ya u got it its basically a lat pulldown but ur sitting on the floor instead of the seat. and to answer your other question ya guy was built haha[/quote]

In that case I don’t see why it wouldn’t not be a viable back width exercise. Like Tribunal I’ve never tried it though.

The only potential issue I see is that once the weight started to get up towards BW levels, it would be pretty tough to avoid lifting yourself off the ground rather than pulling the bar down towards you.

Is there a reason why you can’t do rack chins?

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
crod266 wrote:
tribunaldude wrote:

Sentoguy wrote:

ya u got it its basically a lat pulldown but ur sitting on the floor instead of the seat. and to answer your other question ya guy was built haha

In that case I don’t see why it wouldn’t not be a viable back width exercise. Like Tribunal I’ve never tried it though.

The only potential issue I see is that once the weight started to get up towards BW levels, it would be pretty tough to avoid lifting yourself off the ground rather than pulling the bar down towards you.

Is there a reason why you can’t do rack chins?[/quote]

well not really i just have no one to put weight on me. Are they really that much better than regular chin-ups

The arm angle looks more like a pullup, but the body angle is still like a lat pull. It would be a good in-between for moving from lat pulls to pullups.