T Nation

Epsom Salts

Anyone used these as a recovery method, in hot baths I think? Worthwhile? And where to get them if they are helpful?

You should be able to get them at any drug store.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
Anyone used these as a recovery method, in hot baths I think? Worthwhile? And where to get them if they are helpful?[/quote]

Hi,

I’ve used Epsom salt when trying to get rid of leg fatigue (DOMS) during my road bike season (Biking 3-4 times a week, between 75 km and 135 km at a time)I don’t know if just the hot water helps, the relaxing or if the Epsom salt really does have effet. I’ve found glutamine to be more efficient for me then Epsom salt.

However, a true and tried method for getting rid of lactic acid has been recommended to me by a sports physio who works with professionnal soccer players…we take a bath in friggin ice water for about 4 min max (If you can get to 4 min.) I do this during my paddling season and it really helps me recuperate quickly and stay injury free.

Basically, you just fill you tub with cold water and then add ice cubes to it, temp has to be where the cubes with melt very slowly but have to melt when you put them in the water.

[quote]barbiegirl wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:
Anyone used these as a recovery method, in hot baths I think? Worthwhile? And where to get them if they are helpful?

Hi,

I’ve used Epsom salt when trying to get rid of leg fatigue (DOMS) during my road bike season (Biking 3-4 times a week, between 75 km and 135 km at a time)I don’t know if just the hot water helps, the relaxing or if the Epsom salt really does have effet. I’ve found glutamine to be more efficient for me then Epsom salt.

However, a true and tried method for getting rid of lactic acid has been recommended to me by a sports physio who works with professionnal soccer players…we take a bath in friggin ice water for about 4 min max (If you can get to 4 min.) I do this during my paddling season and it really helps me recuperate quickly and stay injury free.

Basically, you just fill you tub with cold water and then add ice cubes to it, temp has to be where the cubes with melt very slowly but have to melt when you put them in the water.[/quote]

sounds pretty awful.

I really like them. You can buy espsom salts at any drug or grocery store, and they’re really cheap. $2 will last a really long time.

I can second the ice bath, I used to do them after practice during training camp and they worked quite well.

[quote]bruinsdmb wrote:
barbiegirl wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:

Hi,

Basically, you just fill you tub with cold water and then add ice cubes to it, temp has to be where the cubes with melt very slowly but have to melt when you put them in the water.

sounds pretty awful.[/quote]

It is but efficient and you’re only in there for a max of 4 min IF you can last that long :slight_smile: