Epsom Salt Baths/Contrast Showers

I’d like to add salt baths and contrast showers to my recovery plan. Anybody have info on the basics of implementing these techniques?

La’
Redsol1

I try to take an epsom salt bath once a week. I usually add about a 1/2 cup or a full cup to a warm/hot bath and soak for about 20 minutes. You will know if the bath is saturated with the MgSO4 if you still have solids in the water.

I dont use contrast showers; I am a pussy when it comes to cold water!

Just don’t do what I did! Just this past Saturday, I decided to try Epsom Salts for the first time. I filled the tub with hot water and salts, lay back…
…and woke up at 10:30 at night, 90 minutes later.
The water was cold; I was chilled right through; I was stiff and aching all over!
Next time, I set an alarm.

I take epsom salt baths and they work. I use about 2 cups of salts and pretty hot water and chill for about 20 minutes. Really rejuvenates.

What is the timing? On days you work out, or on off days?

La’
REdsol1

I have been using it either on off days or after a really heavy lower body workout. But only about 2 times a week.

Manm I LOVE to HATE the contrast showers. Once you make it through the first cycle of each temp you are kinda numb and they arent bad and help a great deal. I will use them after a sood squat or dead w/o mostly.

Also do the Epson baths from time to time. They are more of a relaxation tech then anything else for me.

just my experience
Phill

Contrast showers are great. I started using them about 2 weeks ago and have actually seen a differnce in my recovery and have hade less post-worhout sorness.I do 2 mins hot-30 sec cold for about 5-10 mins.

excelent!! Thanks for the help guys.

La’
Redsol1

pardon my ignorance, but can someone please explain what these things will do for you?

The epsom salt baths are great. I definately noticed a difference after taking one after a tough workout. My recovery was better and despite working out late at night, I got a more restful night’s sleep. There is too much of a good thing though so have it for your really tough workouts or the days when you’re really dragging.

[quote]frisbee wrote:
pardon my ignorance, but can someone please explain what these things will do for you?[/quote]

There is an article in the artice library on recovery methods that explains that stuff real well.

I am surprised that no one has posted this.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=551687

[quote]Robert Monti wrote:
The epsom salt baths are great. I definately noticed a difference after taking one after a tough workout. My recovery was better and despite working out late at night, I got a more restful night’s sleep. There is too much of a good thing though so have it for your really tough workouts or the days when you’re really dragging.[/quote]

yeah same for me. prolly the magnesium. a quick google told me that quite a bit of that magnesium goodness is absorbed through the skin. there were also some side effects with overdosing so head’s up !