Epidemic of Republican Corruption

All these news stories are just from the last month or so… including record-setting prison sentences (Rep. Randy ‘Duke’ Cunningham), record setting bribes (Abramoff) record setting theft and waste of taxpayer dollars (missing Iraq reconstruction money).

Too many stories to copy everything, so just quick synopsis, click the link to read more. Enjoy!

GOP super-lobbyist Jack Abramoff was sentenced to five years and 10 months in prison in a Florida fraud case, the minimum sentence allowed. Abramoff continues to cooperate with officials regarding additional cases of GOP corruption in Congress. (Republican Rep. Tom DeLay (TX) and Rep. Bob Ney (OH) also implicated.)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060329/ap_on_re_us/lobbyist_fraud_5

Fitzgerald Will Seek New White House Indictments. Possible indictments of White House Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove or National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley.
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/032806Z.shtml

Rove allegedly cooperating in CIA Leak probe, may implicate Cheney
http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Roves_cooperation_seen_to_advance_inquiry_0327.html

Right Wing Blogger resigns from new Washington Post job, amidst charges of plagiarism:

Right wing pundit Ann Coulter faces possible felony charges for giving a false address on her voter registration:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/pbccentral/content/local_news/epaper/2006/03/29/m2a_jose_col_0329.html

Iraq reconstruction contracts potentially ‘the biggest corruption scandal in history.’ At least 12 billion dollars (in cash) of US taxpayer dollars can’t be accounted for.

As much as 23 billion dollars may have been wasted or stolen. ‘Iraq was awash in cash. We played football with bricks of $100 bills’

Arrest of Ex-Bush Aide Shocks Associates. President Bush’s top domestic policy adviser nabbed for swindling, shoplifting charges

Rep. Randy “Duke” Cunningham, Republican of California, was convicted of bribery conspiracy and tax evasion and sentenced to eight years in prison. Cunningham accepted 2.4 million dollars in bribes from defense contractors. 8 year 4 month prison sentence sets record prison sentence for a member of Congress.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/03/cunningham.sentence.ap/index.html

Contractor Pleads Guilty to Corruption
“The new admissions, including details that identify Reps. Virgil H. Goode Jr. (R-Va.) and Katherine Harris (R-Fla.) as recipients of illegal campaign contributions, are contained in Wade’s agreement to plead guilty to four criminal charges stemming from his role in the Cunningham probe.”

John McCain hires the middleman implicated in Tom DeLay’s money-laundering case, as Senior Campaign Advisor.
http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/032206/news3.html

House Republicans vote No on a resolution to investigate potential criminal activity in connection with Jack Abramoff. Every Democrat in the House voted YES to investigate Abramoff-related misconduct, while every Republican in the House (except 6) voted NO:
http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Pelosi_introduces_privilege_resolution_calling_for_0330.html

Former DeLay deputy chief of staff pleads guilty to conspiracy. “The lobbying scandal that has rocked Washington moved further into Rep. Tom DeLay’s inner circle on Friday, when a former deputy chief of staff pleaded guilty to conspiring with two other DeLay confidantes.”
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/politics/14236382.htm

Come on, you know that if it’s not from Fox, then it’s not real news.

Breaking out the last item a little bit…

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/politics/14236382.htm
[i]
On Friday, Rudy told a federal judge that he’d taken $50,000 from Abramoff for official acts while on the DeLay payroll. He said he also accepted a trip with his wife in April 1999 to Hilton Head, S.C., and another by private jet in March 2000 to the U.S. Open golf tournament in Pebble Beach, Calif.

Rudy also confessed to arranging sports tickets, golf outings and a lavish trip to Scotland for Ohio Republican Rep. Bob Ney and his top aide - both of whom deny wrongdoing - in exchange for various legislative favors.

The Rudy plea looked like a logical next step as authorities tighten a noose, pressuring one conspirator after another to cooperate.

“It brings corruption allegations inside the doors of DeLay’s office . . . It all depends on what Rudy is telling them,” said Randall Eliason, former chief of the ethics section in the U.S. attorney’s office for Washington, D.C.

He said the conspiracy appears “breathtaking in its brazenness. But that’s pretty much true of the whole Abramoff thing.”

Rudy faces two to five years in prison under the deal, and prosecutors agreed not to charge his wife, who served as a conduit for some of the bribes.

“By his admission in open court today, Mr. Rudy paints a picture of Washington, which the American public and law enforcement will simply not tolerate,” said Assistant U.S. Attorney General Alice S. Fisher.
[/i]

[quote]Brad61 wrote:
All these news stories are just from the last month or so… including record-setting prison sentences (Rep. Randy ‘Duke’ Cunningham), record setting bribes (Abramoff) record setting theft and waste of taxpayer dollars (missing Iraq reconstruction money).

Too many stories to copy everything, so just quick synopsis, click the link to read more. Enjoy!

GOP super-lobbyist Jack Abramoff was sentenced to five years and 10 months in prison in a Florida fraud case, the minimum sentence allowed. Abramoff continues to cooperate with officials regarding additional cases of GOP corruption in Congress. (Republican Rep. Tom DeLay (TX) and Rep. Bob Ney (OH) also implicated.)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060329/ap_on_re_us/lobbyist_fraud_5

Fitzgerald Will Seek New White House Indictments. Possible indictments of White House Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove or National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley.
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/032806Z.shtml

Rove allegedly cooperating in CIA Leak probe, may implicate Cheney
http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Roves_cooperation_seen_to_advance_inquiry_0327.html

Right Wing Blogger resigns from new Washington Post job, amidst charges of plagiarism:

Right wing pundit Ann Coulter faces possible felony charges for giving a false address on her voter registration:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/pbccentral/content/local_news/epaper/2006/03/29/m2a_jose_col_0329.html

Iraq reconstruction contracts potentially ‘the biggest corruption scandal in history.’ At least 12 billion dollars (in cash) of US taxpayer dollars can’t be accounted for.

As much as 23 billion dollars may have been wasted or stolen. ‘Iraq was awash in cash. We played football with bricks of $100 bills’

Arrest of Ex-Bush Aide Shocks Associates. President Bush’s top domestic policy adviser nabbed for swindling, shoplifting charges

Rep. Randy “Duke” Cunningham, Republican of California, was convicted of bribery conspiracy and tax evasion and sentenced to eight years in prison. Cunningham accepted 2.4 million dollars in bribes from defense contractors. 8 year 4 month prison sentence sets record prison sentence for a member of Congress.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/03/cunningham.sentence.ap/index.html

Contractor Pleads Guilty to Corruption
“The new admissions, including details that identify Reps. Virgil H. Goode Jr. (R-Va.) and Katherine Harris (R-Fla.) as recipients of illegal campaign contributions, are contained in Wade’s agreement to plead guilty to four criminal charges stemming from his role in the Cunningham probe.”

John McCain hires the middleman implicated in Tom DeLay’s money-laundering case, as Senior Campaign Advisor.
http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/032206/news3.html

House Republicans vote No on a resolution to investigate potential criminal activity in connection with Jack Abramoff. Every Democrat in the House voted YES to investigate Abramoff-related misconduct, while every Republican in the House (except 6) voted NO:
http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Pelosi_introduces_privilege_resolution_calling_for_0330.html

Former DeLay deputy chief of staff pleads guilty to conspiracy. “The lobbying scandal that has rocked Washington moved further into Rep. Tom DeLay’s inner circle on Friday, when a former deputy chief of staff pleaded guilty to conspiring with two other DeLay confidantes.”
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/politics/14236382.htm[/quote]

Come on, you seriously think this “epidemic” is worse than the Clinton years? It’s a shame the Republicans have betrayed the ideals of th’94 election, but they’re still no worse, ethically, than their opponents.

I personally think that the scandals always surface concerning the party in power. I don’t now if that’s bc the media likes to topple giants, and only digs for dirt when they’re motivated, or if the power itself breeds corruption and hubris. I do think that the current corruption is some serious ass shit and an argument for change. The last president was brought up for a whole lot less than this.

WTH.

I am getting sick of both parties to tell you the truth.

Someone should start an American “Kadima” party like in Israel and then perhaps the ‘established’ ones will get with the program and truly REPRESENT the American people.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
Come on, you seriously think this “epidemic” is worse than the Clinton years? It’s a shame the Republicans have betrayed the ideals of th’94 election, but they’re still no worse, ethically, than their opponents.[/quote]

Ahem

Hell yes this is worse than the Clinton years. This is unprecedented, and I didn’t even mention Bush personally by the way. He’s a whole different topic. Record-setting prison sentence for Representative Randy “Duke” Cunningham. Watch his resignation video here, where he cries like a baby… a disgraced and corrupt baby. Get your hankies out!:
http://movies.crooksandliars.com/TSR-Cunningham-cries.wmv
HILARIOUS.

Record-setting bribery scandal with Jack Abramoff, involving as many as 20 Republican Congressman and staffers (NO Democrats indicted).

As much as 23 billion dollars in tax dollars (CASH) missing in Iraq, possibly the biggest ever theft of taxpayer dollars in history.

Do you need some to explain what record-setting means?

This is just the past month, no mention of David Safavian (Bush’s number 1 procurement officer, under arrest this winter for corruption). No mention of Plamegate and obstruction of justice. No mention of the Coingate scandal in Ohio (look it up, it’s juicy), and these are all purely Republican corruption scandals.

I left a few out because they were more than a month old.

Speak of the devil… the Ohio Coingate scandal is back in the news again today.

[quote]Advisory post gave Noe voice in U.S. Mint policy
Coin dealer pushed gold pieces; Treasury Dept. conducts probe

“Documents and interviews reveal that Mr. Noe – who has pleaded not guilty to a 53-count felony theft and corruption indictment for his handling of Ohio?s rare-coin fund and not guilty to federal charges that he laundered money to President Bush?s re-election campaign – courted Mint officials at high-price restaurants in Washington, sought information on behalf of fellow coin dealers about future coins to be minted, and pushed the Mint and lawmakers to use higher-grade metals in the nation?s coins”.
[/quote]

and this:

[quote]Noe casts troubling shadow over campaigns
Candidates try to distance themselves from coin dealer
“Mr. Noe, who resigned last year from the regents and the Turnpike Commission, is accused of stealing from the $50 million rare-coin investment he managed for the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation. He also faces federal charges of illegally funneling $45,400 to President Bush’s re-election campaign.”[/quote]

If you do a Google search on Republican corruption, there’s pretty much something new there every day.

Here’s an interesting op-ed article about perception and corruption. “Republicans think the world is corrupt and they act accordingly.”

As bradley is pointing out, this Administration has to go!!!

Call for IMPEACHEMENT!!!

It’s a movement!!

JeffR

[quote]Brad61 wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:
Come on, you seriously think this “epidemic” is worse than the Clinton years? It’s a shame the Republicans have betrayed the ideals of th’94 election, but they’re still no worse, ethically, than their opponents.

Ahem

Hell yes this is worse than the Clinton years. This is unprecedented, and I didn’t even mention Bush personally by the way. He’s a whole different topic. Record-setting prison sentence for Representative Randy “Duke” Cunningham. Watch his resignation video here, where he cries like a baby… a disgraced and corrupt baby. Get your hankies out!:
http://movies.crooksandliars.com/TSR-Cunningham-cries.wmv
HILARIOUS.

Record-setting bribery scandal with Jack Abramoff, involving as many as 20 Republican Congressman and staffers (NO Democrats indicted).

As much as 23 billion dollars in tax dollars (CASH) missing in Iraq, possibly the biggest ever theft of taxpayer dollars in history.

Do you need some to explain what record-setting means?

This is just the past month, no mention of David Safavian (Bush’s number 1 procurement officer, under arrest this winter for corruption). No mention of Plamegate and obstruction of justice. No mention of the Coingate scandal in Ohio (look it up, it’s juicy), and these are all purely Republican corruption scandals.

I left a few out because they were more than a month old.

[/quote]

Maybe they’re trying to teach us some morals by showing what not to do.

OH CRAP! More signs of the Republican corruption epidemic!

It looks like Tom DeLay is dropping out of his reelection campaign! WHY???

Maybe because he’s totally innocent? Because the charges against him have no basis, and he can prove it?

Because dropping out of the race is what you do when you just won the GOP primary, and you are totally innocent?

Maybe Tom DeLay needs to take time off, so that he and OJ Simpson can hunt down the REAL money launderers?

I have a Tom DeLay joke…
Q: What did Tom DeLay say to Scooter Libby?

A: Do you want the top bunk or bottom bunk?

Maybe the scandals are greater on the Republican side because they are in control of the White House. But then again this administration is on the extreme side of a very narrow political spectrum. However don’t make the fatal mistake in thinking that political corruption takes place on one side. It is endemic on both sides and will not cure itself. We need a different voting system to break the 2 party mononpoly. And citizens must read an alternative to the mass media. The power is with the people but if we are only watching shadows on the wall…

Voting is for people who don’t mind corruption provided they can benefit from it.

I don’t know if there are more White House corruption scandals than there were during Clintons term.

There certainly appear to be more Republican corruption scandals today than there are Democrat scandals today in Congress.

Of course more Republican hold office too.

No party should be in charge of everything long term or corruption will occur.

I wish the Democrats would wake up and put up some decent candidates.

Unfortunately the current Democratic leadership is loony so it is very hard to vote Democrat.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
I don’t know if there are more White House corruption scandals than there were during Clintons term.

There certainly appear to be more Republican corruption scandals today than there are Democrat scandals today in Congress.

Of course more Republican hold office too.

No party should be in charge of everything long term or corruption will occur.

Unfortunately the current Democratic leadership is loony so it is very hard to vote Democrat.[/quote]

All I know is the valiant war cries as if the Republicans were about to lead the world for eternity don’t seem to be as loud as they were during the last election. As usual, the pendulum eventually swings back. It is just a matter of time.

[/quote]

Nice deflection.

When there are dozens of Republicans mired in scandal, you say the root cause is that Democrats can’t field good candidates? Why can’t the GOP just be honest? Too much to ask? Maybe the whole party could take the same ethics classes that the White House staff was made to attend, in the days after the Libby indictment.

[quote]Brad61 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

Nice deflection.

When there are dozens of Republicans mired in scandal, you say the root cause is that Democrats can’t field good candidates? Why can’t the GOP just be honest? Too much to ask? Maybe the whole party could take the same ethics classes that the White House staff was made to attend, in the days after the Libby indictment.
[/quote]

No deflection. Power corrupts. The Republicans are in power and they are currently appear more corrupt.

No surprises here at all. The only way to cut the corruption is to dilute the power.

Unfortunately the Democrats leadership is kooky and to simply give them power to minimize corruption will not necessarily benefit the country.

The Democrats have to earn my vote by actually presenting better ways of doing things than the Republicans instead of just criticizing.

I despise crooked politicians and will vote against them at every opportunity.

As it stands none of these guys are in my area so I do not have the opportunity to vote against them.

I will not simply give my vote away to break the single party stranglehold on Washington.

Very interesting how just before the election time all the republicans start to get accused of all sorts for things. Like Ann Coulter facing felony charges for a mix up on her voter registration address. Gee, I wonder how many other people have ever had the wrong address on their voter card? Guess they should all get the chair!

Unfortunately the current Democratic leadership is loony so it is very hard to vote Democrat.[/quote]

…you don’t live in California, so I’ll assume you don’t know much about our current gubernatorial race. We have an AWESOME candidate for governor, a democrat, clean as a whistle, smart as a whip, charismatic, and a proven effective leader.

I’m talking about State Treasurer and former California Democratic Party chair, Phil Angelides. I’m hoping that he wins the primary vs. Steve Westly who is a bloody slimebag and whose political strategies are as bad if not worse than your average republican.

While its true that we dont’ have enough Democrats like Phil, I’m fairly confident that if he is successful in his endeavors, there’ll be more like him.

[quote]Lorisco wrote:
Very interesting how just before the election time all the republicans start to get accused of all sorts for things. Like Ann Coulter facing felony charges for a mix up on her voter registration address. Gee, I wonder how many other people have ever had the wrong address on their voter card? Guess they should all get the chair![/quote]

OR, it could simply be that they are all assholes and now it is coming to light.