Epic TRAINING Time

211 today. Tris were sore as crap, so my weights were kinda low, but got a great pump. Just figured out some form issues last week; I wasn’t holding my shoulder blades together the way I should, and was really having trouble feeling my chest effectively. Since fixing this, that workout and today’s have been the best chest workouts of my life. I’m expecting my chest to grow enormously in the next few months because of this.

7/25/11
CHEST/BIS
Pec Deck Flye (120x17, 140x13, x12)
Decline DB Press (100x12) Form felt weird, so I decided to switch to BB.
Decline BB Press (275x7, x7, 225x9) SUPERSET last two sets with:
DB Bench Press (50x8, x10)
Guillotine Press (135x11, x12, x10) Partials on last set.
SUPERSET
Incline BB Press (135x6, x6, x10) Partials on last set.
Machine Press (240x10 DROP 135x10, 225x6 DROP 195x4 DROP 90x10, 195x6 DROP 135x5 DROP 75x11)
SUPERSET
DC Shoulder Stretch with exercise bands for 4 sets of 10
Seated Decline Crossover (FST-7) Don’t remember weights, did 12-15 reps, finished last set with 8 partial reps.

BIS
Seated Hammer Curl (45x9, x12, x12)
DB Preacher Curl (55x7, x7, x7)
Spider Curl (30x15, x15, x15)

Felt really good today. I think I’ve been overtraining a bit at 6 days/week, and am going to start taking Thursdays and Sundays off instead of just Sundays. We’ll see what happens. New split will probably look something like:

SEPARATE                            SINGLE      
HAMS/QUADS                          LEG DAY

MON - Chest/Calves Chest/Calves
TUE - Back/Traps (Traps once monthly) Back
WED - Bis/Tris/Forearms/Abs Bis/Tris/Forearms/Abs
THU - OFF OFF
FRI - Hams/Calves Quads/Hams/Calves
SAT - Quads/Shoulders Shoulders/Abs
SUN - OFF OFF

I change things up every week depending on how I feel, mainly dependent on what days I have to ride my bike to work; generally M-W. But overall, this is how my week looks. Excited to see what happens, since I’ve been working out 6-7 days a week for a couple years now. I’m hoping this will help me gain the weight I’d like to. My goal is to be 240 @ less than 12% bf by the end of this year.

BRUTAL Motivation

Took some progress pics last night after hanging out for a while. Weight’s been holding around 210 the past few weeks.

[photo]33670[/photo]

[photo]33669[/photo]

[photo]33668[/photo]

Good god. Are these the types of kids they’re breeding in Louisiana? Keep it up man! This log rules. Not that bodybuilding’s my thing, but I can deff respect and admire it. I’ll be following. Nice vids too!

[quote]EF5127 wrote:
Good god. Are these the types of kids they’re breeding in Louisiana? Keep it up man! This log rules. Not that bodybuilding’s my thing, but I can deff respect and admire it. I’ll be following. Nice vids too![/quote]

Thanks, bro! I’m working at making the very best of what I have. I appreciate the props.
Saw your log, too. DUDE. That’s an amazing story.
Congratulations and I wish you the best in your journey. You really inspire me, man; there are so many people that just want to be fat sheep. They have never had to go through any real problems and whine and complain about weight or health problems that could be easily fixed through regular exercise and a healthy diet. I KNOW God has blessed me with good health, and I want to never take it for granted.

[quote]KosanFalcon wrote:

[quote]EF5127 wrote:
Good god. Are these the types of kids they’re breeding in Louisiana? Keep it up man! This log rules. Not that bodybuilding’s my thing, but I can deff respect and admire it. I’ll be following. Nice vids too![/quote]

Thanks, bro! I’m working at making the very best of what I have. I appreciate the props.
Congratulations and I wish you the best in your journey. You really inspire me, man; there are so many people that just want to be fat sheep. They have never had to go through any real problems and whine and complain about weight or health problems that could be easily fixed through regular exercise and a healthy diet. I KNOW God has blessed me with good health, and I want to never take it for granted. [/quote]

Thank man, appreciate it. In the meantime, I’ll be following and as for you…just keep killing it!

7/26/11
SHOULDERS/ABS/CALVES
This is my “bits-and-pieces” workout; the last workout of my split, where I just hit whatever I feel needs work the most or whatever I can hit without weakening myself when I restart my split with legs.
I’ve been reading a lot of John Meadows’ spills lately and was hooked by his suggestion to use heavy partials for shoulders, so I decided to do that today. A good 80% of reps performed for shoulders were a limited ROM, and I think it worked pretty well; shoulders are pretty sore today.

Seated DB Press (80x9
80x9 DROP 55x8 DROP 25x13
Switched to BB for first set…
135x12 DROP 55x10 DROP 25x10
185x7 DROP 45x10 DROP 25x13)

DB Rear Delt Ext (35x15, x12, x12, 50x13)
SUPERSET
Decline Crunch (25xsome, 50x15, 100x15, x12)

Seated DB Medial Delt Raise (30x12, x12, x12)
SUPERSET
Accentuated Crunch (60x10, x10, x10)

Hanging Leg Raise (4 x 10-12)

Medial Delt Raise Machine (60x20, x17, x15, 50x20)
SUPERSET
Rear Delt Cable Ext (10x8, x8, 20x8)

CALVES
Super-Stretch [explode up, 5-sec negative, stretch in extended position for 15 sec] Leg Press Ext (165x12, 180x12)
Single-Leg Standing Ext (bwx20, x20, x20)

Forgot to stretch. Been doing that a lot lately. I’m going to start adding a note to my routine when I write it on my inkpad app on my phone.

BRUTAL Motivation

QUADS today! So freaking happy! The routine is gonna look something like:
7/27/11
QUADS
Leg Ext & Unilateral Leg Ext
(1x20) DROP (2x20)
(1x20) DROP (2x20)
(1x20) DROP (1x20)
Leg Press (4 x 20)
SUPERSET
Hack Squat (4 x 10-12)
Squat (5 x 8-12)
Front Squat (3 x 20)
DC Quad Stretch

CHEST/SHOULDERS
LIGHT DB Pullover (4 x 20)
DC Chest Stretch
DC Shoulder Stretch

Just throwing some little chest stuff in for shits and giggles, since I forgot to stretch it and my shoulders last time I trained.

[quote]EF5127 wrote:

[quote]KosanFalcon wrote:

[quote]EF5127 wrote:

Congratulations and I wish you the best in your journey. You really inspire me, man; there are so many people that just want to be fat sheep. They have never had to go through any real problems and whine and complain about weight or health problems that could be easily fixed through regular exercise and a healthy diet. I KNOW God has blessed me with good health, and I want to never take it for granted. [/quote]

Thank man, appreciate it. In the meantime, I’ll be following and as for you…just keep killing it![/quote]

Always, man!

7/27/11
CHEST/SHOULDERS
LIGHT DB Pullover (75x20, 80x20, x20, x20)
DC Chest Stretch
DC Shoulder Stretch

QUADS
Leg Ext & Unilateral Leg Ext
(stackx20 DROP 40x20 DROP 15x20)
(270x20 DROP 45x20 DROP 20x20)
Leg Press (5ppsx20, 7ppsx20, 8ppsx20)
SUPERSET
Hack Squat (2ppsx12, x12, x10)
Squat (135x9, 315x9, x8, x4 DROP 225x6, 225x12)
Front Squat (135x20, x20, x20)
Sprint/Walk Intervals on Treadmill (incline at 5, 60-sec walk @3mph, 30-sec run at 8-9 x5)
DC Quad Stretch

HOLY CRAP. First time doing leg press in a couple months, probably. I laid off it for a while to just focus more on machine leg work. Now I’m making Squat, Front Squat, and Leg Press my foundational leg exercises for a little while. I was satisfied with the weight; normally when taking a break from it for a while, I can’t just hop on and rep more than about 7 plates for 20. 8 felt good, so I wanna get over 1k for 25 soon. PR is 930x25. But it KILLED my quads, so when I was on my 3rd set of squats, got to the bottom with 315, and couldn’t get back up. Left it on the rails and did a quick drop set to make up the reps. That pissed me off, but whatever.
:smiley: Finally got some knee sleeves that fit, too, although I had to get EliteFTS 3XLs. xD The XLs wouldn’t even get to my knee with copious amounts of baby powder.
Much-needed rest day today, then hams and calves tomorrow.

BRUTAL Motivation

Shameless breakdown-after-breakdown metalcore, but there’s something about bass drops, pinch harmonics, and great nonstop drumming in the gym. Makes me angry. :smiley:

I have to ask though. EPIC TRAINING TIME? was this inspired by those EPIC MEAL TIME videos on youtube? bc with your size it looks like you may be eating to those proportions.

[quote]EF5127 wrote:
I have to ask though. EPIC TRAINING TIME? was this inspired by those EPIC MEAL TIME videos on youtube? bc with your size it looks like you may be eating to those proportions.[/quote]

Haha Yeah, it actually was. I probably could’ve come up with a better name, but that just kept popping into my head while I was trying to think of something, so I went with it.

7/29/11
HAMS/CALVES
Leg Press Calf Ext (180x12, 195x12, 210x12, 225x12)
Seated Calf Ext (90x17, 115x20, x17, 90x12) Last set done as Super-Stretch protocol.

HAMS
Standing Ham Curl (40x15, 60x15, x15, 70x15)
Prone Ham Curl (90x17, x20, x17, 75x22)
SUPERSET
Weighted Hyperextension (35x12, 35x10, 35x10, 35x8 DROP bwx4)
Stiff-Leg DL (225x12, x12, x12, x10)
Standing Ham Curl for pumpz x20
Incline Treadmill Reverse Walk (3mphx2min)
DC Ham Stretch

Great pumpz. Starting to add some squeezing in on certain things. On Prone Curls, I squeezed hard on every 5th rep and held squeezed for 3 sec on last rep of every set. Definitely helped me feel my hams a lot better on hyperextensions.

BRUTAL Motivation

7/30/11
CHEST
Seated Decline Crossover (40x15, x15, x15)
Flat DB Press (90x12, 100x8, x6, x6, x6)
SUPERSET
Guillotine Press (135x12, x12, x10, x10, 115x20)
Hit one set of skwatz (335x12) while I was waiting to use the power rack, which is the only place to do Incline BB Press at Anytime Fitness, my roommates’ gym. My gym was closed by the time I got home from work.
Incline BB Press (185x12, 225x9, 225x8, x8 DROP 135x11)
Machine Press (1ppsx20, x20, x20, x20) Liberal use of partials, just focusing on trying to use exclusively my chest.
Decline Flye (30x15x3)
Pec Deck Flye (100x12, x10, x10, 90x11, x10, 80x11 DROP 45x12)
DC Chest Stretch

GREAT pump. 3rd chest workout since fixing my form issues, and I am starting to get stretch marks. :smiley: Sweet.

BRUTAL Motivation

HOLYCRAPTHISSONGISEPIC.

“I am starting to get stretch marks. :smiley: Sweet” Classic Hypertrophy guru, love it. Obviously Hypertrophy’s your objective. I’m always curious to hear training approaches from different people with different goals. As a bodybuilder or aspiring bodybuilder, what’s your approach? Are you super focused on that mind muscle connection and pay no attention to numbers? I’ll hear guys like Cutler or Arnold emphasize nothing but the “feeling” or “pump” not paying attention to how much they’re lifting AT ALL, or do you still get caught up in numbers? a mix? I’m just asking because so many bodybuilders believe in different methods. Anyways training looks kick ass, keep it up! Cheers.

[quote]EF5127 wrote:
“I am starting to get stretch marks. :smiley: Sweet” Classic Hypertrophy guru, love it. Obviously Hypertrophy’s your objective. I’m always curious to hear training approaches from different people with different goals. As a bodybuilder or aspiring bodybuilder, what’s your approach? Are you super focused on that mind muscle connection and pay no attention to numbers? I’ll hear guys like Cutler or Arnold emphasize nothing but the “feeling” or “pump” not paying attention to how much they’re lifting AT ALL, or do you still get caught up in numbers? a mix? I’m just asking because so many bodybuilders believe in different methods. Anyways training looks kick ass, keep it up! Cheers.[/quote]

Thanks for the support man!

I TRY to not care about numbers at all. I currently just took a bet with pbclax to see if I can bench 400 9/30/11. Current PR is 350, but that was almost 5 months ago or so?
But aside from that, and kinda caring a bit just because I have testosterone (lol), I try to just focus on feel, form, and THE PUMPZ. It’s what I feel is the best way to grow, and the safest. As long as I’m stronger than the general population, I’m good. :smiley:

8/1/11
BACK/FOREARMS/ABS
One-handed Lat Pulldown (75x15) warmup
DB Row (90x8, 110x8, x8, x8)
BB Row (135x15, 225x12, 315x12, 335x12, 365x7 DROP 315x6) Did some random DLs with 335 and 365 in the middle of the sets for crapz and gigglez.
Machine Row (200x12, 260x10, 290x7, x6 DROP 210x6 DROP 160x6)
SUPERSET
Standing Pulldown (50x20, 60x20, 70x20, x20)
Low Cable Row [no rest, sets performed back-to-back with partner] (135x10, 165x8, x8, 150x8, 180x8, x8, x8, x8) First four sets done wide-grip, second done close-grip

DC Back Stretch
DC Shoulder Stretch

FOREARMS
Rope Twist (2up, 2downx4)
SUPERSET
“Heavy” BB Hold (lulz) (315x10-sec, 225x15-sec, x20-sec, x20-sec)

ABS
Decline Crunch (100x15, x12, x12)
TRISET
Accentuated Crunch (60x12, 50x10, x10)
TRISET
Hanging Leg Raise (x10, x8, x8)

BRUTAL Motivation

Sweeeet. Good pump, had a lot of tension from personal issues to unleash, and had an off day yesterday, AND got all kinds of sweet suppz today, including some Isa-Test GF, which I’m hoping will help my very slight gyno/tenderness I’ve been experiencing. Could be just me, but it seems to be already. :smiley:
Ran through everything with no problems except for my FREAKING iPOD TOUCH is deciding to skip and pause play randomly while listening to music. :KKKKKKKKKKKKKK So frustrating.

Kosan, I notice like most BB’s you’re doing 1 muscle/body part training a day. Or at least primarily 1 a day. This was something I used to do a long time ago, when I was like 14. Do you think this is the best way to train for hypertrophy with all that we know about training? I’m only asking because this is how BB’s train. It’s just that I have not done it in so long and when I did do it, I was 14 and knew nothing about training or nutrition. The results I got then, surely can’t be a reflection of the effectiveness of this style of training. I could never imagine doing 16-20 sets of a single muscle like I used to, but at the same time although total training volume of the muscle is high, the training volume of each exercise is low. Doing 4 sets of an exercise at a fairly low intensity % is something I think I could easily do. Whether or not it would be effective though is the question. I know a lot of guys who do 4 sets, 4 exercises, 12,10,8,6 reps. The intensity would be very low in terms of the percentage relative to your 1 RM. I don’t see how this could in any way be effective. Anyways, I just want to know from somebody who’s obviously had success training this way why it’s their choice method of training. Cheers.

Holy shit, strong bastard, I’ll be following along and stealing your metal jams!

Regarding the ipod, try restarting it, sometimes restarting it unfucks the problems, whether it’s frozen or just acting stupid.

Ink

Got some more cheap GNC stuff. If you want some, lemme know asap, because I have a lot of friends that buy from me.

[photo]33766[/photo]

Xenadrine RZR-X: $25
Hydroxycut Hardcore X Ignition Stix (Blue Raspberry): $25
Arson (basically same thing as Hydroxycut, Muscle Asylum is owned by M-tech): $25
GNC Whey Isolate 2lbs (Alpine Punch): $25
GNC PM Protein 2lbs (Chocolate): $15
GNC Soy Protein 1lb (Banana): $5
GNC Soy Protein 4lb (Vanilla): $25
AMP Muscle Meal 11 packets (Chocolate): $15
Muscle Milk 7 bars (Vanilla Toffee Crunch): $5
Muscle Milk Light 12 bars (Chocolate Peanut Caramel): $5
Supreme Protein (8 Cookies 'N Cream, 2 Caramel Nut Chocolate): $5
Detour (4 Caramel Peanut): $2.50
Pure Protein (2 Chocolate Deluxe): $1
Promax (1 Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough): $0.50
Flurry (1 Peanut Butter Candy Pieces): $0.50

Get more than 1 item, get a discount.
Get all the protein bars, pay $10…

[quote]EF5127 wrote:
Kosan, I notice like most BB’s you’re doing 1 muscle/body part training a day. Or at least primarily 1 a day. This was something I used to do a long time ago, when I was like 14. Do you think this is the best way to train for hypertrophy with all that we know about training? I’m only asking because this is how BB’s train. It’s just that I have not done it in so long and when I did do it, I was 14 and knew nothing about training or nutrition. The results I got then, surely can’t be a reflection of the effectiveness of this style of training. I could never imagine doing 16-20 sets of a single muscle like I used to, but at the same time although total training volume of the muscle is high, the training volume of each exercise is low. Doing 4 sets of an exercise at a fairly low intensity % is something I think I could easily do. Whether or not it would be effective though is the question. I know a lot of guys who do 4 sets, 4 exercises, 12,10,8,6 reps. The intensity would be very low in terms of the percentage relative to your 1 RM. I don’t see how this could in any way be effective. Anyways, I just want to know from somebody who’s obviously had success training this way why it’s their choice method of training. Cheers.[/quote]

I think it’s what works best for me. I like doing high volume (20-35 sets per bodypart, normally), and high intensity as well, so doing more than one bodypart per day I find to be too stressful. Lately, with the new 5-day split I’m on, I do 2 or 3 per day, but hardly ever two large bodyparts in the same day; normally something like bis and tris, chest and abs, hams and calves, etc.

Intensity, however, is not what you seem to term it as. If you completely fail at 1 rep or 50, as long as you completely fail, you’re using 100% intensity. % of 1RM is more correlative to strength gains, at least for me. I do believe staying within a 4-20 rep range, though, is where maximal hypertrophy is acheived (more around 6 reps for upper bodyparts, and around 20 for legs).

One main key to inducing maximal hypertrophy is definitely to fail at different rep ranges in the same workout. For instance, one thing I like to do often is to start out with a coumpound movement, work my way down to failing around 6 reps, then later in the workout use isolating exercises and fail around 15-20 reps. I feel this is how I often get the best pump and most hypertrophy. I always keep intensity high, though, by using intensity techniques such as forced reps, negatives, partials, etc., to ensure I’m reaching total failure on each exercise.

[quote]inkaddict wrote:
Holy shit, strong bastard, I’ll be following along and stealing your metal jams!

Regarding the ipod, try restarting it, sometimes restarting it unfucks the problems, whether it’s frozen or just acting stupid.

Ink[/quote]

Thanks bro! Lol I don’t really consider myself that strong, but thanks for the props. :stuck_out_tongue:
Glad to find a fellow metal listener! I like to think I listen to only the best.

Yeah, I tried that a few times and it helped sometimes. It seems to somehow be correlated to it getting really full, too. As long as I keep at least 1GB free, it’s been problem-free.