Epic Beard Thread

Upon further investigating, that looks like a previous year’s buck . The leaves have already almost all fallen off the trees. Looks like November-ish, so late Archery season. By the looks of things that’s PA. We have some nice buck there, and they get big. Corn fed!

[quote]Quasi-Tech wrote:

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Hunting beard.[/quote]

Awesome man! Did you already get your deer this early in the season? Didn’t it just start September 15… or is this a previous year?

Also, you do realize you owe an obligatory tale of the hunt and I’d be curious to know what your gear is![/quote]

That pic was 2 years ago. Only pic I could find of me with a full beard.

Deer was taken with my Matthews Drenalin (not the bow in the pic) in IL, about 75 miles NE of St. Louis. Here’s the story I posted in my old log:

[quote]
Right place, right time I guess. As crazy as it sounds, I saw an even bigger buck about 90 min before I shot this one but never got a shot at him. He managed to avoid all of my shooting lanes and I couldn’t get him to stop with the call until he was well out of range and behind a shit-ton of tree limbs. I tried to get him to come back to me but I’m not very good with the call so he bugged out.

I was pissed off as all hell about it too until this guy came up behind me and started making rubs on some saplings near the tree line. He was directly downwind from me, so I hit a few puffs of doe piss I had in my pocket. That got his attention real fast.

He raised his head up and started grunting and sniffing, then came stalking down towards me. When I stood up in my stand to get a shot he stared directly at me for about 30 seconds. I just froze, and was pretty sure he was gonna bolt. Apparently he didn’t see me because he eventually just started meandering away from me towards a group of trees. I was going to hit him as he was walking, but he stopped dead broadside about 30 yds away and sniffed around. That’s when I got him.

He must have been pretty surprised, because he didn’t even jump the string like they’re supposed to (or so I’ve heard). I heard the string and then a loud SMACK, and he took off like nothing was wrong with him. I was about 50% sure I’d hit him pretty good because of the noise, but the other half was concerned because he ran away like nothing and disappeared. At this point it was about 15 minutes before sundown, and I lost him in the trees.

I waited about 10 minutes, listening and watching for any signs of where he might be. Then I got down from my stand and walked to where he was standing when I shot him.

I found my arrow half buried in the ground. There was some blood on the fletching so then I was sure I hit him, but there was barely any blood on the ground. I figured I just couldn’t see it in the dark.

I radioed my dad and his buddies and told them what happened. By this point it was completely dark, and I could hear coyotes howling all over the place. I won’t lie, that shit was fucking spooky. There were a LOT of differnt howls, and they sounded REALLY close. I was sure this deer was going to be torn to shreds when we found him. Hell, IF we found him. The lack of blood made me wonder if I did enough damage to put him down.

The other guys showed up about a half hour later, and we searched like hell for a blood trail, and actually found a few spots here and there that led down to a creek bed about 50 yds from where I shot him. But then the trail ended. With it being so dark, we decided to come back in the morning. No sense wandering around in the dark for hours with no trail to follow.

At light the next morning, we found him pretty quick. He had crossed the creek bed and ran up the hill into a corn field. He only made it about 100 yds further than where we lost the trail. Obviously you can tell from the pics that the coyotes never got to him, so I was pretty happy about that. He was actually a lot bigger than I thought he was when I saw him from my stand, so that was cool too. [/quote]

yup

Hunting beard.[/quote]

I have too much gray in my beard. Sticks out like a sore thumb, especially in camo.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

Hunting beard.[/quote]

I have too much gray in my beard. Sticks out like a sore thumb, especially in camo.
[/quote]

I have grown mine out for early bow season because I hate wearing a mask then and it makes for less area to paint.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

Hunting beard.[/quote]

[/quote]

I have grown mine out for early bow season because I hate wearing a mask then and it makes for less area to paint.[/quote]

Yeah, I used to always grow a beard for hunting season but it is like wearing a white mask now.

Haha, well if they are looking up maybe the just think they are seeing some sky through the branches.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

Hunting beard.[/quote]

[/quote]

I have grown mine out for early bow season because I hate wearing a mask then and it makes for less area to paint.[/quote]

Yeah, I used to always grow a beard for hunting season but it is like wearing a white mask now.[/quote]

Just for men - just for hunting season?

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

Hunting beard.[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, I used to always grow a beard for hunting season but it is like wearing a white mask now.[/quote]

Just for men - just for hunting season?[/quote]

A beard should be about less work not more.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Here’s mine from last year.[/quote]

What’s that wooden contraption there? I can’t quite make sense of what it would be.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Here’s mine from last year.[/quote]

What’s that wooden contraption there? I can’t quite make sense of what it would be.[/quote]

An old pier on the Flathead River.[/quote]

Huh. I was born in Kalispell, but I haven’t been back since. I was never old enough to remember anything unfortunately.

I’m guessing you’re right around that area.

First Beard.

Did movember 2 years in a row and looked like an extra from the Blue Oyster. So this year I decided to switch teams and go full Grizzly Adams but ended up looking like a mad bastard with issues, so a trim was in order. Wife is now happy (I think???) kids have’nt even noticed lol

Mixing Threads.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
Mixing Threads.[/quote]

You can scroll just far enough down on that picture to get rid of the beard and the part of pic that is still viewable is glorious.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
Mixing Threads.[/quote]

That is epic. lol

Looks like Jesus with breasts

Been growing mine out a bit.