T Nation

Ephedrine + Birth Control

Searched the site and the internet couldnt find any info. Can anyone tell me if ephedrine can interfere with birth control pill effectivenes. The dose is 24mg 3 times a day

bump someone has gotta know

Ephedrine and similar compounds have not been shown to interfere with birth control pills' effectiveness.

Good luck,
AlexH.

thanks for the help

No offense to the response, but hopefully you are not simply taking an anonymous poster's word for it... The ramifications if he/she is wrong are pretty astounding..

It is doubtful that it would have an effect but consult a doctor, not an online forum... also at least ask for some substantive evidence to support claims like that if you choose to take online advice..

I am not saying he/she is wrong, but they could be.

True enough,

but alpha or beta-adrenergic compounds or those that mimic their effect are not counter-indicated with birth control pills.

But it remains that the listing of interactions does not containg these agents. And these are pretty easy to access even on non-restricted access websites.

http://www.medicinenet.com/oral_contraceptives/page3.htm

I consulted DrDrugs and Drogology, pocket PC programs on pharmaceutical products and I am lucky enough to have access to various online textbooks/manuals on these topics a nd consulted the Compendium of Product and Specialties (CPS) (a Canadian edition of pharmaceutical products).

I am sorry, I didn't find the question to be interesting enough (not complicated) to cite sources.

As for asking a health practitioner, a pharmacist would be more appropriate considering that most pharmacies have computer programs that check for pharmaceutical interactions.

No biggie...but its true, I could be a complete moron, these online forums are a filled with people who read the Mercola site for their medical information.

AlexH

Very true and thanks for the input. I did exactly that, checked the list of substances that can reduce the drugs impact. However i thought i'd post the question on this site since most of the drugs and doses people on this forum take are out of the ordinary and may not be considered.