T Nation

Ephedra is Banned in Illinois!!!

What the hell!! This shit pisses me off…whats next, alcohol, cigarrettes, automobiles. What research did the governor do to justify this? One reason was a 16 year old took the supplement and died. He was trying to make the football team. What the hell is a 16 year old doing with stuff anyways! The kids parents where there for the signing of this bill. I got an idea, BAN WAR!! It kills more people than ephedra!

Ephedra was approved in Israel last week!

Hooray!

who knows, maybe well get the paper T-Mag after it’s banned in the USA!

I saw that on ESPN. It’s a witch hunt!

In the paper issue of T-mag, there is an article called Smart Answers to Tired Old Arguements, but the “smart answer” given for Ephedra didn’t sit well with me. It listed the number of times Ephedrine was mentioned in emergency room visits. Compared to the other more common and legal drugs, Ephedrine was low on the list. Well that’s great, but I find it misleading since I bet less people use Ephedra compared to Aspirin or Ibuprofen (other drugs mentioned that were higher on the list). I would have been more happy with a relative baseline so that the percentage of users who end up in the hospital could be known. I doubt this info is available, but the “smart answers” response leaves me unsatisifed. “Lies, damn lies, and statistics.”

I’ve never used Ephedra so I can’t say much about whether I think it is dangerous or not. Unfortunately, I, like the general public, only hear about it when an athlete falls over and dies. I would, however, have liked to seen a better arguement in its defense then trying to show someone a list of hospital visits involving it.

Besides the arguement that we’re adults and can put what we want into our body (something the government doesn’t agree with) can someone provide a better explanation showing why Ephadra isn’t dangerous? I’m curious to learn more.

More people have died from any type of prescription or over-the-counter drug.

Who benefits from the ban of ephedra? Drug companies.

I wish people would wake up and realize that they advertise drugs on TV that cause thousands of deaths every year.

Here’s an interesting statistic: Doctors Are The Third Leading Cause of Death in the US, Causing 250,000 Deaths Every Year (http://www.mercola.com/2000/jul/30/doctors_death.htm)

Another interesting stat from that website: 106,000 [deaths per year] – non-error, negative effects of drugs.

Well, if ephedra caused a few deaths which warrant its banning, then they should outlaw and put doctors to death!!

Neil

Does the ban include pseudoephedrine or just the Mau Huang herbal version?

Anderson - I understand you are arguing that the pure numbers between ephedra and aspirin are different. If you looked at the raw numbers, yes, Ephedra will sit much lower because of the smaller population of users.

I know it’s a dead horse, but stupid people do stupid things. If a little is good, then alot is better right? Wrong.