EPA/DHA from CANNED SALMON

Anyone got the scoop on just how much EPA/DHA is in a can of regular old grocery store canned salmon?

Actually, the million dollar question is whether the canned salmon is farm raised or wild. Well, I mean if the salmon IN the can was wild or not. I don’t expect that you go out and hunt wild canned salmon. It would make more sense to get the wild salmon and put it into a can.

BUT, if the salmon is wild, then you can use the fat grams as a good tool for approximating.

El, my uncle who is a fish maven, and a doc told me that all canned salmon is wild. Not sure if hes right, but he’s definitly a smart dude

FWIW, about 500 mg in a can of tuna. Salmon should be at least that much.

S-lifter, Salmon is WAY fattier than tuna - usually about 30x the amount of fat in a tin.

Gmehne, I thought the same for a bit, but then on one of our generic brands I saw (in small print) “Farmed Salmon” on the label. Since then I’ve been a bit more careful.

If I remember correctly, I think it was Ko that said a while back that a can of salmon had 2-3 g. EPA/DHA…I could be mistaken though. In a previous Appetite for Construction article, JB wrote that sockeye salmon had approx. 3 g. per can.

I just started eating Chicken of the Sea Pink Salmon on a regular basis. I’m not sure how good it is as far as EPA/DHA’s go but it is pretty good. It’s boneless and skinless. Quick and easy way to get 25 grams of protein and 5 healthy fat for only $2. I just pop 12 fish oils and add 2 scoops of low-carb Grow! for a protein/fat meal.

I take El M’s msg to heart. Apparently, farmed salmon is quite a bit lower in O3s than wild salmon and maybe more toxic to boot. Makes taking the new Biotest O3 product more desireable.

Fatter, yes. More EFA in the can, not really. There is an EFA list in “Dr. Bob Arnot’s Guide to Turning Back the Clock.” The EFA contents, per can, for various kinds of tuna and salmon are very close at approximately 3.5 grams for 7 ounces of raw fish.

I have a very hard time beleiving there are 3.5 grams of FAT in 6 ounces of albacore tuna, let alone 3.5 grams of straight DHA/EPA. Don’t get me wrong, I love tuna but I am holding a can and it says 6 oz contains: 2.5g FAT

Is that for canned fish? Or maybe it’s for whole fish? My tuna can tells me there’s less than 1g of fat per 100g.

I don’t eat whole fish because, um, I’m lazy. I can 100% agree that using whole fish would probably be healthier, but I use canned fish mostly.

I also have some frozen Salmon breasts (or whatever) and they have 3g of fat (26g Protein) per breast. Compare that to my tin of Salmon (14g Fat, 28g Protein). It’s all very different.