Environmentalism and DDT

Interesting point, supporting the fact that it is and can be used…

I understand the potential for West Nile problems but to my knowledge it is nothing more than potential at the present. True?

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
I understand the potential for West Nile problems but to my knowledge it is nothing more than potential at the present. True?[/quote]

That is not true. People have already died from it. I have three personal friends that have contracted the West Nile virus in my home county in the last 3 years.

---------EDIT----------

The way I worded that makes it sound as if my friends died. They did not. But they were very very sick for a few weeks.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Rainjack,

Any chance you will ever develop the ability to discuss issues rationally, or do you just like to shout your opinion loudest as if that means you are always right?

I’m the first to admit I don’t know hell of a lot about DDT, and that the item in question is not my own. If you have anything reasonable to say that refutes it, then go ahead.

As with any issue, there are certainly two sides to it, and both sides are often out twisting wording to come up with implications that drive the general public to extremes.

It obviously works well on you anyway.[/quote]

Every goddamned time I disagree with your bullshit, you pull out the old stand by “do you just like to shout your opinion loudest as if that means you are always right?” whiny assed shit again.

I disagree with you. Big fucking deal. I disagree with your insistance that DDT
Is worthless agains mosquitos. I happen to know FOR A FACT - not one of your little editorial pieces that you copy and paste - that If DDT were available for use on mosquitos in the Southwestern U.S. - there would be no West Nile virus problem out here.

If you don’t know what the fuck you are talking about, then why in the hell are you telling me to quit yelling? Did it ever occur to your obviously less than developed reasoning skills that I might actually know something about this subject? At the very least as it relates to the West Nile virus?

Evidently not.

Why is it that you post bullshit, and then jump my ass for calling it such, and you don’t even have the knowledge base to know why it’s bullshit?

Rainjack,

Did it ever occur to you I’m complaining about your belligerent manner, not the opinion behind the bluster?

You come across as somebody that doesn’t actually know jack shit, but acts like he knows everything.

I’m saying, I don’t know jack shit, if you can actually prove (or even reasonably show) anything other than state opinion and claim it as fact, please do so.

Then, I’d have an opportunity to learn something.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Rainjack,

Did it ever occur to you I’m complaining about your belligerent manner, not the opinion behind the bluster?

You come across as somebody that doesn’t actually know jack shit, but acts like he knows everything.

I’m saying, I don’t know jack shit, if you can actually prove (or even reasonably show) anything other than state opinion and claim it as fact, please do so.

Then, I’d have an opportunity to learn something.[/quote]

Perceptions can be wrong vroom. I don’t post about shit I know nothing about.

I know about this particular topic - especially as it relates to a ‘new’ mosquito born illness.

I’ve given you my facts, but I guess personal knowledge of the West Nile virus is only anecdotal to you.

Please give me your definition of belligerent. Because the definition I have of the word describes just about everyone that posts in the political threads?

So why single me out? Seems you are pretty belligerent yourself when the mood strikes you.

Oh - ot must be because I didn’t like your little article you copied and pasted. Is that right? You got you little feelinngs hurt and needed to lash out at the mean old conservative?

Grow up.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
From the article
There is no ban on using DDT to fight malaria and there never has been. DDT is banned for agricultural use (and rightly so because of environmental damage) but can still be used for disease prevention.
Disease[West Nile] prevention.[/quote]

Not in the Panhandle of Texas, Sparky.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
pittbulll wrote:
I understand the potential for West Nile problems but to my knowledge it is nothing more than potential at the present. True?

That is not true. People have already died from it. I have three personal friends that have contracted the West Nile virus in my home county in the last 3 years.

---------EDIT----------

The way I worded that makes it sound as if my friends died. They did not. But they were very very sick for a few weeks.[/quote]

Maricopa County in Arizona was the hardest hit last year. Thirteen died last year .None this year . They say it is the first year when West Nile hits the hardest then it kind of peters out

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
rainjack wrote:
pittbulll wrote:

---------EDIT----------

The way I worded that makes it sound as if my friends died. They did not. But they were very very sick for a few weeks.

Maricopa County in Arizona was the hardest hit last year. Thirteen died last year .None this year . They say it is the first year when West Nile hits the hardest then it kind of peters out
[/quote]

The death rate may fall, but it seems we have more people each year getting sick. I have no real data to prove this though. And then again, maybe everyone that gets sick during the summer automatically assumes West Nile. Who knows?

Maricopa County? From “Raising Arizona” fame?

Oh please.

Seems to be somewhat of a double standard in these parts…

So, someone that knows more than I, post some details about West Nile.

From what I had heard, it is sort of a hit and miss thing, with some people being very susceptible and most others not? Is this true?

[quote]rainjack wrote:
pittbulll wrote:
rainjack wrote:
pittbulll wrote:

---------EDIT----------

The death rate may fall, but it seems we have more people each year getting sick. I have no real data to prove this though. And then again, maybe everyone that gets sick during the summer automatically assumes West Nile. Who knows?

Maricopa County? From “Raising Arizona” fame? [/quote]

Yes it is and a funny movie also.