T Nation

Entry into Powerlifting

Ok guys so I been on these forums for a while…was real serious but more into a bodybuilding aspect a while back…took a big lay off …got into a big problem…things cleared up…back into it for 6 months solid. I have posted recently in alot of different forums…mostly the steroid section.

I do not hide the fact that I took a 3 weeker of anavar about 2 months after returning to the weight room. It helped but not as much as I expected…I feel I could have got the same results without it but I don’t regret it. I’m also young (20) but am generally accepted on the steroid forum due to the length of time I have been on there and my DECENT knowledge base (much better than the average broseff).

Now that I have been back…I’m much more into the powerlifting aspect…and I train totally differently than I did before…I lift with higher intensity and less volume. 4 days a week…still alot of bodybuilding aspects in my training but, I focus a great deal on the main movements…deadlift squat bench. I have been dropping some weight (bodyfat) for aesthetic reasons, and the idea that I’d like to actually get into real powerlifting…and if I were to I’d like to do it at 165lbs. I’m about 170 right now after about a 15lb drop in the past month or so.

20 years old
5’8" - 5’9" (not 100%)
170lbs
deadlift - 405
Squat - 325
bench - 245

I realize my numbers arent the greatest…and although I post in the steroid forum and have planned on using more than just var…all gear I have received aside from the var has been totally bunk. My lifts have taken a little hit since this so called cut has taken place.

I have some good questions for anyone willing to help. 1) When will I be ready to compete…not a time I mean at what numbers? 2) I’d like to get to 165 and maintain weight but gain strength, how is this achieved? 3) What are good entry level meets, I have looked into USAPL Florida for possibly a meet in July 2009? I’m not looking to take any steroids from this point on if that is a question for anyone…I don’t believe in it’s use in a tested sport. Any good training routines specific to strength that I could use…I’m willing to post my current routine for critique (again there are some bodybuilding aspects to the routine as I was generally out of shape 6 months ago).

Thanks guys…I really appreciate it.

compete now, u need a base for which to improve from dont worry about numbers

[quote]bignate wrote:
compete now, u need a base for which to improve from dont worry about numbers[/quote]

Ok…but how do strength athletes maintain weight and gain strength? And are there entry local level powerlifting meets aside from big names like usapl and apa?

Don’t worry about cutting for your first meet. Your first meet you should worry about not missing lifts.

[quote]EG wrote:
Don’t worry about cutting for your first meet. Your first meet you should worry about not missing lifts.[/quote]

exactly, and if ur cutting, make sure u drink lots of water and i worked out 5-6 days a week while cutting (loosing about 2-4 pounds week) and still made progress, make sure u eat the right things that will give u energy, pastas ect… also i used energy drinks to spike me up before the gym… but thats just me

I would not say your base is the best at this point .But it is good enough to start entertaining the use of some light gear in your training . Maybe suit bottoms ,knee wraps etc. to get the feeling of gear and handle some heavier loads than what your used to .

Other than than just work on perfecting your form in the comp lifts if you do want to compete .

[quote]bignate wrote:
EG wrote:
Don’t worry about cutting for your first meet. Your first meet you should worry about not missing lifts.

exactly, and if ur cutting, make sure u drink lots of water and i worked out 5-6 days a week while cutting (loosing about 2-4 pounds week) and still made progress, make sure u eat the right things that will give u energy, pastas ect… also i used energy drinks to spike me up before the gym… but thats just me

[/quote]

Yea my periworkout is decent actually for keeping strength. Before my workout I’ll drink a Spike along with a half cup of oatmeal and a tablespoon of pure honey…about 30mins before. That ussually helps alot with my strength levels. Postworkout I drink a serving of Surge.

[quote]facko wrote:
bignate wrote:
compete now, u need a base for which to improve from dont worry about numbers
[/quote]

It’s called training :wink:

Stronger does not neccessarily equal bigger.

the first holw in your game that i see is training partners. is ther a powerlifting gym near you? if so, become a member and get with a crew that has years of experiance. and like someone else said about gear, its very hard to learn gear on your own- so having others who have used it show you is a big help.

also partners are for spotting and support. progress is hard to get if you cant throw on 3 plates(talking about your bench) and just feel it in your hands and how your wrist take that type of pressure. so getting into a p/l gym is very important in more ways than 1. and those guys/gals you end up with will most likely preech a westside template or a variation of it, which is time tested and works…

good luck kid, this sport is small in a way, but its the most addicting thing i do in my life. have fun with it, and failure only makes you more hungry.

[quote]rawdog77 wrote:
the first holw in your game that i see is training partners. is ther a powerlifting gym near you? if so, become a member and get with a crew that has years of experiance. and like someone else said about gear, its very hard to learn gear on your own- so having others who have used it show you is a big help.

also partners are for spotting and support. progress is hard to get if you cant throw on 3 plates(talking about your bench) and just feel it in your hands and how your wrist take that type of pressure. so getting into a p/l gym is very important in more ways than 1. and those guys/gals you end up with will most likely preech a westside template or a variation of it, which is time tested and works…

good luck kid, this sport is small in a way, but its the most addicting thing i do in my life. have fun with it, and failure only makes you more hungry.[/quote]

Thanks man…I shall look into some serious gyms around…I do train with someone…we are both very much into the same style of training but we train at a commercial gym and like you said don’t have the experience in the sport that the older guys in a powerlifting gym could provide.

hell, put up a post on this website just asking if people in your area know of a gym, or train p/l. might find what u need. the place i train at is in a industrail park with no signs or real advertisment. word of mouth is how these places stay afloat.