T Nation

Entro's Log

I have been lurking around this forum for a few months now and have decided to start a log. I have been lifting off and on for the past year and a half, but have been getting more serious over the past couple months.

I found a lifting program on this forum that seemed like it could work well for me. StrongLifts 5x5 Beginner Strength Training Program. Which can be found here: stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
This is the basic program:

Workout A
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5
Dips 3xF

Workout B
Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Pull-ups/Chin-ups 3xF

Alternating between each workout three times a week.

Right now I attempting to bulk up and plan on the cutting once summer comes. My main problem is probably nutrition at the moment. I try to eat as clean as I can, but I live in a fraternity where I get served two meals every week day. I try to eat about 5-6 meals throughout the day that are basically high in protein and have some carbs and fats. I am also taking a multivitamin and fish oil in the morning and night. I am also taking 5g of creatine a day(I did the loading phase of creatine a few weeks ago). I am also taking whey protein daily and Surge after workouts.

Height: 5’11
Weight: 190 (Put on 5 lbs from lifting for the past two months)

Pictures posted below.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Day 1:

Squat 5x5x170
Bench Press 5x5x120
Barbell Row 5x5x100
Dips 3xF

Today I went light to make sure I could finish all sets, I am not used to doing this many sets. I used to do low sets and high reps. This session was not very difficult. One thing I have noticed is my chest and core is a lot weaker than my back, legs, and biceps/triceps. One of my main goals is to increase the strength of my chest and core.

Day 3:

Squat 5x5x190
Overhead Press 5x5x100
Deadlift 1x5x200

I didn’t have a pull up bar where I was lifting this time, so I wasn’t able to do them. Was not that tough of a workout, but I am still slowly increasing the weight. I struggled a little near the end of the overhead press, but I have not done that lift before.

Good for you for finding/choosing this program. As far as pull-ups (and dips) I believe they are accessory exercises. They can be added into the program but are not necessary. When I was doing Rippetoe (very similar), I did chins and dips when I had the energy. If I skipped the exercise, it wasn’t a big deal.

Anyway, keep increasing every week or even every workout if possible.

Thanks for the help.

One thing that kind of sucks though is I am working out at home for this week. When I go back to the college I am going to I’ll have access to better weight rooms, at the school and at my fraternity. I could probably deadlift 1x5x240-250 right now, but at my house right now I only have enough plates for about 210 or so. But it’s only this week, so it’s not that big of a drag.

Day 5:

Squat 5x5x200
Bench Press 5x5x130
Barbell Row 1x5x110 4x5x120
Dips 3xF

Tried to up everything today by 10lbs. I was able to do everything with pretty good form and I felt I did pretty well today. I upped the Barbell Row by 10 lbs, but I felt I could push myself more so I added another 10 lbs. Overall a pretty good day.

I’m going to continue this lifting program, but I’m going to have difficulty keeping up with this board for at least the next week or two, I just started my spring quarter in college and I’m going to be very busy, I’ll do my best to keep reporting my lifts, but I’m not sure if I will be able too

Update:

I have been continuing the program and have been noticing progress. I have also put on a little bit more weight, 3-4lbs. My most progress has been in my deadlift, bench, and barbell rows. I am now repping 255lbs for my deadlift, 145lbs for my bench, and 135lbs for my barbell rows. I haven’t moved much on my squats because I spent extra time working on my form rather than increasing weight. I have also been having trouble increasing the weight on my overhead press, but I got it up to 110lbs.