Enteric Coated 60% DHA/EPA?

I have looked for a while on this site as well as doing several internet searches. . . is it simply a cost factor that a lot of distributers of fish oil don’t enteric coat their higher EPA/DHA concentrated caps? Anyone found one that is coated? My mom is looking for some as she gets a pretty upset stomach from non-coated versions.

[quote]cheesehead wrote:
I have looked for a while on this site as well as doing several internet searches. . . is it simply a cost factor that a lot of distributers of fish oil don’t enteric coat their higher EPA/DHA concentrated caps? Anyone found one that is coated? My mom is looking for some as she gets a pretty upset stomach from non-coated versions.[/quote]

Costco.

Although I also buy mine at Costco, if you don’t have one in your area, I believe Sam’s sells something similar.

[quote]cheesehead wrote:
I have looked for a while on this site as well as doing several internet searches. . . is it simply a cost factor that a lot of distributers of fish oil don’t enteric coat their higher EPA/DHA concentrated caps? Anyone found one that is coated? My mom is looking for some as she gets a pretty upset stomach from non-coated versions.[/quote]

Well, is there really a need or benefit to enterically coating fish oils?

I don’t know the answer, but there might not be a benefit. Some products are better absorbed w/o enteric coating. Could just be a marketing gimmik.

Costco has a new brand that is enteric coated and more potent than their prior. I use that one now…

Go to costco for nuts too…

-Get Liftedd

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:

I don’t know the answer, but there might not be a benefit. Some products are better absorbed w/o enteric coating. Could just be a marketing gimmik.[/quote]

Yes. Supposedly it has much better bioavailability when enterically coated.

[quote]Get Lifted wrote:
Go to costco for nuts too…
[/quote]

Actually, I buy my nuts in bulk from the natural food store. Super fresh (they turn the bins over very quickly), and a huge selection of all different varieties.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
cheesehead wrote:
I have looked for a while on this site as well as doing several internet searches. . . is it simply a cost factor that a lot of distributers of fish oil don’t enteric coat their higher EPA/DHA concentrated caps? Anyone found one that is coated? My mom is looking for some as she gets a pretty upset stomach from non-coated versions.

I don’t know the answer, but there might not be a benefit. Some products are better absorbed w/o enteric coating. Could just be a marketing gimmik.

[/quote]

I don’t know if it’s better, but I can tell you that when the coating touches my tounge, it tastes like a whore’s ass crack in July.

Hmm. The Costco coating tastes yummy and vanilla-like.

Oh, one other benefit with the enteric version is no fish burps.

[quote]michaelv wrote:
ChrisKing wrote:

Yes. Supposedly it has much better bioavailability when enterically coated.[/quote]

If you don’t mind me asking, according to whom?

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
If you don’t mind me asking, according to whom?[/quote]

I think it depends on the supplement.

I know enzyme supplements should be enteric coated to pass the stomach so they can go to the intestine where they can be used. Ones that are not will get partially destroyed by the acid. I have never heard this about other supplements, but I suppose it could be true.

That is the infamous “they” who say that.

For this thread though, the point is moot since the kid said his mom needs it because she gets an upset stomach, not because he thinks it’s better.

Is it enteric coated when it tastes kinda sweet? My Claritin tastes sweet I always thought it was weird.

[quote]chrisb71 wrote:
ChrisKing wrote:
If you don’t mind me asking, according to whom?

I think it depends on the supplement.

I know enzyme supplements should be enteric coated to pass the stomach so they can go to the intestine where they can be used. Ones that are not will get partially destroyed by the acid. I have never heard this about other supplements, but I suppose it could be true.

That is the infamous “they” who say that.

For this thread though, the point is moot since the kid said his mom needs it because she gets an upset stomach, not because he thinks it’s better.

Is it enteric coated when it tastes kinda sweet? My Claritin tastes sweet I always thought it was weird.[/quote]

I understand the concept of enterically coating supplements and drugs.

I’m just interested in the source who claims it is superior for fish oils.