Enter The Thib Zone!

CT, been using your athletic pendulum and been loving it! Question doing the speed bench I use roughly 50% 155 3 reps as fast as possible, but my body comes off the bench when I do these. Am I doing them correctly? Is the weight too light? Also same thing with speed back squats, I use 195-205 3 reps as fast as possible, but I come off the ground. Thanks.

CT,

Would cluster training work for gaining strength in the Olympic lifts? If so, would the intensity (i.e., the “correct” definition of intensity which is % 1RM used) change? Thanks a lot for your time here.

CT,

In your book, you outline a football program that has players eventually sprinting various distances at 90-100% five days a week. Do you still recommend/implement this type of speed/conditioning training? Also, do you use tempo runs or any form of aerobic work with your players?

Thank you,
Drew

CT,
I’d like your thoughts on how I’m trying to achieve my training goals.

I’m basically training for physical fitness, for some carryover to sports/atheletic performance and for aesthetic reasons.

I’ve followed the Westside program for the last one year (except for injury related down-time in between). My goal is to build a good strength base and then to do more bodybuilding specific training. Eventually, once I’m able to reach my target weight/size, I’ll just alternate between powerlifting and hypertrophy workout.

What do you think about my approach? Is it a sound approach considering that I don’t intend to compete in powerlifting competitions.

As a side note, I enjoy speed work and variations of Olympic exercises and these can be nicely accomodated in a Westside template.

thanks for your advice.

Gary

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
CT,

Would cluster training work for gaining strength in the Olympic lifts? If so, would the intensity (i.e., the “correct” definition of intensity which is % 1RM used) change? Thanks a lot for your time here. [/quote]

Yes, actually as I mention in my DVD the true origin of cluster training is actually in the training of olympic lifters.

For the OL I would either use the same percentages but perform sets of 3 instead of 5 or lower the intensity a bit to perform 5s.

[quote]Mack wrote:
CT, been using your athletic pendulum and been loving it! Question doing the speed bench I use roughly 50% 155 3 reps as fast as possible, but my body comes off the bench when I do these. Am I doing them correctly? Is the weight too light? Also same thing with speed back squats, I use 195-205 3 reps as fast as possible, but I come off the ground. Thanks. [/quote]

This can happen, that’s why it’s recommended to use jumpstretch bands along with the straight weight. Of you can increase the load slightly. Percentages are a good guideline, but if you can maintain a lot of acceleration it’s okay to go a bit heavier.

On the jump lunge, do we have to make that goofy face while in the air or will it be just as effective without it?

Soory, couldn’t resist making this smart ass comment. And my apologies to the athlete in the photos; I’m sure he’s a fine athlete who was just caught making a goofy facr.

[quote]Drewd wrote:
CT,

In your book, you outline a football program that has players eventually sprinting various distances at 90-100% five days a week. Do you still recommend/implement this type of speed/conditioning training? Also, do you use tempo runs or any form of aerobic work with your players?

Thank you,
Drew[/quote]

No, I drastically reduced my training volume over the past 2 years. We now sprint all out only 1-2 times per week, along with 1-2 tempo session.

CT: Don Alessi says the smaller your wrist circumfrence the more you’ll need to specialize your grip. I have the wrist circumference of a 9 year old girl, but I want strong and big forearms.

What do you reccommended?

Also, once and for all, does holding heavy weight build forearm size? Why or why not?

Thanks in advance!

C.T.,
When doing good mornings I am curling over due to weakness midway up the spine. Do you have any suggestions on how to target and strengthen this area, or should I just reduce the weight a bit until my form is correct and the weight can be moved correctly?
Thanks.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
On the jump lunge, do we have to make that goofy face while in the air or will it be just as effective without it?

Soory, couldn’t resist making this smart ass comment. And my apologies to the athlete in the photos; I’m sure he’s a fine athlete who was just caught making a goofy facr.
[/quote]

Nick is a very expressive guy :slight_smile: And yes, he is a decent athlete. But he’ll make an even better strength coach!

[quote]H factor wrote:
CT: Don Alessi says the smaller your wrist circumfrence the more you’ll need to specialize your grip. I have the wrist circumference of a 9 year old girl, but I want strong and big forearms.

Also, once and for all, does holding heavy weight build forearm size? Why or why not?

Thanks in advance![/quote]

There is hope for you… I have very small wrists and small hands but over time my forearms became decent.

Holding weights mainly build hand strength, but has a small effect on forearm size, especially if you hold the weight with cocked wrists. I found that nothing beats the basics … wrist roller, hammer curl, reverse curl, wrist curl and heavy pulling.

That dude has more jump than a jack russel terrier!

[quote]H factor wrote:

Thanks in advance![/quote]

[quote]mindeffer01 wrote:
C.T.,
When doing good mornings I am curling over due to weakness midway up the spine. Do you have any suggestions on how to target and strengthen this area, or should I just reduce the weight a bit until my form is correct and the weight can be moved correctly?
Thanks.[/quote]

Back extension performed by rolling up your back (as illustrated below), zercher lifts and narrow grip bent over barbell rowing will help in that regard. In the mean time, reduce your GM weight and also try your hands at Romanian deadlifts.

When will your next dvd be out?? and are you going to have a special on the dvd your selling now?

Thib;
What id your opinion of 3 x a week TBt with a Heavy/Light/Medium rotation
ie: Mon DL 7x3
Bench 7x3 and weigthed Pullups 7x3
Wed: Inc Bench 4x8-RDL 4x8-Rows 4x8 and
Squats 4x10
Fri Dec Bench 5x5
Good Morn 5x5
bodyweight pull Ups 5 x6
Step ups 5x6

How would you tweak the Canadian Ascending-Descending system for someone that needs more slow-strength and strength speed? In your second book, you mention it was designed for basketball players, sprinters, etc., but it can be tweaked for combat athletes. How so? Also, what kind of ab work do you typically use while using CAD for upper/lower body?

When performing a power clean (from hang or otherwise) how low should you go to
“recieve” the weight. I want to start doing this movement, but am leary to do so without a good idea what the form is.

[quote]Vorn wrote:
When performing a power clean (from hang or otherwise) how low should you go to
“recieve” the weight. I want to start doing this movement, but am leary to do so without a good idea what the form is.[/quote]

I might be able to help you out on this one. The general rule is that anything caught above a parallel squat is considered a “power” version of the clean or snatch. If you are just starting out I wouldn’t worry about going too low. Doing a squat clean takes balance, coordination, and flexibility. If you can catch a clean anywhere near a parallel squat then you have some natural talent. Although I have heard of coaches that can teach the squat version of the lifts in one or two sessions, but I believe they use very light weight. I have done some squat cleans in my life but it was with a weight around 20 lbs. less than my power clean. It’s supposed to work the other way around - more weight with the squat version. Let’s put it this way - I just got done doing some power snatches and was happy that I was able to catch them in a quarter squat because that’s going pretty low for me.

Good luck learning the lifts - they’re fun as hell and addictive.