Enter Planet Cybertron

LOG # 57

Heavy Bench and Dead day

Bench: increments of 135 for 2, 145 for 3, 155 for 2, 165 for 2, 170 for 1. Backed down and pushed out 5x5 w/ 165lbs.

Secondary work:

machine rows w/ 80lbs 2x10

Hammer strength dips: 135lbs 3x5, 225lbs, 3x5

Deads:

135lbs 5 reps, 185lbs 2 reps, 200lbs 2 reps, 225lbs 2 reps, 250lbs 2 reps, 270lbs 2 reps, 275 2 reps. I attempted to go for 305 again, but couldn’t.

Secondary work:

latpulldowns: 80lbs 2x10

underhand pullups: 3 reps

Leg press: 400lbs 5x5

prone leg curl: 45lbs 3x5

leg extensions: 150lbs 5x5

I ended up not really having a good afternoon after this training because I delved into my feelings too much, and I started beating myself up because it seems like I’m stalling in moving up numbers on the big lifts. I try not to get to that point in any aspect of my life, but last night, I just had one of those moments where the feeling of inadequacy just wouldn’t leave me alone.

Just in relation to your perceived stall I’m going to ask a couple of questions that hopefully will get you helpful answers.

1. What specific numbers are you looking for on each lift (maxes, rep PRs)?
  2. What is the timeframe you have set yourself to achieve these numbers?
  3. Are your answers to one and two realistic?
  4. What are you doing to achieve one (your programming on paper and in practice)?
  5. Is your answer to four optimal?
  1. For squat I’m wanting to get to 400lbs or 450 max wise. Bench: 250lbs, and deadlift the same for squat.

2. In the next two years or a year and a half.

3. I believe they are, judging by my current maxes I feel they are very attainable.

4. Training wise I’ve kept a solid foundation on the 5x5 program because it’s given me steady results. I’ve been trying my best to incorporate The Cube method into my training. It’s by far not perfect, but I understand the whole meat and potatoes to it. I’ve aimed for certain rep goals on rep days, explosiveness on the explosive days (sometimes I combine them), heavy days are typically lower reps. Sometimes I’m off on certain days, but I get back on track. And the additional BB days I like too. I understand the 60-75% range and that testing my maxes isn’t something that’s done every week. Right now this is where I’ll be staying just because I’m not advanced yet and don’t fully understand certain programs.

5. I think it is. However if it isn’t I’m willing to do something about it.

This is what jumps out at me in your answer, along with this

You’ve been training for a short while, and as you already say yourself you don’t fully understand certain programs. You’re intelligent (no one studying what you do isn’t) and educated, but that doesn’t necessarily carry over to understanding programming and training. I tried combining elements of different programs a while back and it didn’t work particularly well compared to when I started doing things right (or at least significantly less wrong).

To cut a long story short, you’re trying to combine two rather different programs without the skill set or knowledge to realise that this is a) usually quite a bad idea and b) only ever works when you really, really know what you’re doing (by which point you know a) so don’t bother anyway). The end result is that you don’t get particularly good results.

If you want to use the Cube method, use the Cube method as Brandon Lilly wrote it. The book is pretty decent and sets it out well enough that you can program your 10 weeks quite easily. If you want to do 5x5, do 5x5; although I am fairly firmly of the opinion that you could do much better using a different approach - not necessarily Cube, although it is a perfectly good option.

Or, you could keep doing what you’re doing; just be aware that it is most likely sub optimal and will deliver a return on your investment far below what you could see training better.

A big step in getting better results is realising and accepting that you aren’t good at programming yet, and following a system by someone who is. You’ll learn more that way too. I know I did.

2 Likes

LOG # 58

Worked up to a max for squat.

Went in increments of 25s up to 305 for 1 rep:
135x3, 185 x3, 225x3, 275x 2, 305x1

Pin lockouts: 275, 2x9. Had the pin bar at just where my ribs are, then moved it to where my lower back was for the last set.

SLDL: 200lbs 2x3, lightened it up to 135lbs for ~6 more reps, because that really brings out the situation with my back issue, meaning I need to strengthen that area more.

Leg curls: 4 sets of 7 w/ 85lbs

Hyperextensions(back): holding 25 plate, 3x7

Abs: machine crunches, 115, 8x10 @ various sitting heights.

1 Like

Very very much agreed

1 Like

This seems to have been something I’ve always struggled with. For the longest I constantly wanted to do it my way, but being at the same weight, says, "pshh, yea well do it ‘your way’. Lol

1 Like

I’ve been searching. I’ll find one that I can transfer to paper and practice that I understand well.

1 Like

I wanna see everyone’s pets for some reason. For starters here are my two weirdos. I haven’t the slightest clue what they are mixed with at all. The little stubby black one I think may have some sort of Scottie in her. Possible. The spotted one is some sort of sheep dog.

2 Likes

Here’s one where we managed to get the cat in the picture.

1 Like

These are our rabbits. They take turns free ranging, but usually spend a lot of time close to each other anyway.

1 Like

GASP Do they have names? They are precious!!! And…it’s daylight over yonder where you are isn’t it?

Of course they have names :slight_smile: Fuzzy is our white buck and Bugz our gray dwarf doe.

1 Like

LOG # 59

HIIT

sprint intervals: 5 laps two times, 1-2 min rests

later that afternoon went on a walk with hubby and we talked about some things (rather serious subjects, but not bad ones)

LOG # 60

Bench for speed

60% of 1RM

100lbs (approx.) 10x3

1 min. rests

Secondary work:

front pulldowns 135, 5x8

tricep pushdowns 40lbs, 2x12

shoulder front press 135lbs 4x5

lat pulldowns 115lbs 3x10

DB extensions w/ 30s 3x11

compound machine rows: 120lbs 3x12

Battle ropes: 10 mins, 1 min on 1 min off.

LOG # 61

Xbox HIIT

Its called Zombie Training. The premise is I’m supposed to training for agility, because ive been drafted to help with the Resistance team against the zombie apocalypse.

squat jumps

burpees

push-ups

battle ropes

bear crawls

mountain climbers

etc,.

Done in a HIIT fashion

LOG # 62

Heavy deadlift: work up to max

(hit a new PR of 320! yay!)

work up:

135 x 2

225 x 2

250 x2

275 x 1

305 x 1

320 x 1

Secondary work

Back extensions: I have come to realize that my lower back is rather weak, and so I’ve been utilizing extensions because it really helps strengthen stuff up down there, and it keep my lower back from wanting to round when going heavy.

25x10

55x 10

70x 10

80 x 10

115 x10

145 x 10
160 x 10

175 x 10

205 x 7

( I do foam roll afterwards and in the morning to keep the stiffness away)

Compound machine rows: 110 4x7

SLDL: 135 5x7

Leg extensions: 85 5x7

Decline sit-ups w/ 25 plate 3x10

LOG # 63

Speed for Squat:

10x 2 w/ 60% of max

225 5x5 box squats

Secondary work:

prone leg curls: 50lbs 3x10

back extensions: 150 lbs 4x10

arch back goodmornings: 135lbs 3x10

sumo deads: 135 5x6 ( I have a good build for this stance, but I’m not used to it at all, but I get a hell of a lot more leg drive with this stance, so win-win I guess)

BB shrugs: 135lbs 3x10

Decline sit-ups w 25 plate, 5x10

Battle ropes 10 reps 5 sets.

LOG # 64

cardio.

Long walk through back woods with hubby.

we both decided I should stop working this day so I can focus on school and lifting. He supports my training a lot more than I thought he did, however we’ve been struggling getting me into this uhhh…“wifey mode” type thing. I’ve always cringed at the thought of being a house wife, and most times I make my husband clean the hell up after himself because ive always told everyone that I am not a maid and I don’t plan on being one. We don’t have kids, so my patience hasn’t been truly tested to its maximum ability, so sometimes my fuse is short when dealing with my husband. But I’ve come to realize that being a wife, staying at home, cooking, cleaning, and the like, can sometimes be taken for granted and that’s honestly the root cause as to why I’m being so stubborn at the moment. I’ve told my husband about this and he understands, he said he wouldn’t want to feel that way if he was a wife lol. So we’ve both agreed to work on fulfilling our duties as husband and wife, and working smarter, as well as harder.

1 Like

LOG # 64

Heavy bench day: work up to max

(new Bench PR: 200lbs yay!)

100lbs 3 reps

135 3 reps

155 2 reps

175 1 rep

185 1 rep

195 1 rep

200 1 rep

Secondary work:

Incline bench: 135lbs 10 sets 2 reps

DB bench: burnout w/ 40s

DB rows: 15 reps each arm

bench lockouts: 155lbs 5x5

decline DB bench press: 5x5 w/ 30s? ( I cant remember)

triceps pushdown: 40lbs 3x7

machine compound rows: 110lbs 3x12

back extensions: 150lbs 3x12

Decline sit-ups w/ 25 plate: 4x10