Enter Planet Cybertron

LOG # 37

New semester started Tuesday. People everywhere. And I don’t miss walking up flights of stairs at all.
Glad my federal aid money came through in time. All of my books, and supplies clocked in at 1,200$. My goodness.

Training was a bit frustrating because I decided to go at 8 in the afternoon when everyone is just getting off of work or out of class so I ended up having to do my workout backwards, which took away from my deads, which were supposed to be the main focus of my training, but I didn’t want to just sit around wasting time.

Today was a heavy deadlift day, mixed with squats for reps. Deficit was initially 2", but I bumped it down to one just to get a feel for both.

Deads:

Warmup: 135 by 5 rep, 140 by 5reps, 180 by 5reps.

275lbs, I could only get two reps out because by the time an empty rack was available I had completed I had finished all of my secondary work, and had already exhausted myself.

bumped it down to 210 to be able to get out all the sets. 5x2

Squat: warmed up with the bar for 10 reps. 135 for a straight set of 8 (did ATG squatting, felt good. Just to open everything up.) 70% my calculator spits out 220, but I was squatting 225 just because the plates don’t count in those increments at my gym. 10x1 (lost count on accident, so I just rounded). Went ahead and did another set at 250lbs just for the heck of it for 8x1. Backed down to 135 again for another 10 reps just to open up my hips because they were extremely tight for reason.

Sorry for everything being backwards, but all the accessory work I did came first before I hit any of the main lifts.

secondary work for deads:

I initially wanted to do T-bar rows, but several people were lined up to use the only one that they have there, so I opted for that one machine that mimicks T-bar rows, but youre sitting down. (I guess you could call a row machine? , but not the one that’s connected with a cable, this one had stackable plates). 80lbs 2x10, 90lbs, 2x10, 100lbs, 3x3, 120lbs, 3x3, 140lbs, 3x3, 150lbs, 5 reps.

lat pulldowns:

kept it light because I was already tired: 70lbs 2x 10

OH press: 90lbs, 5x5

accessory work for squat:

Leg press: 180lbs 2x15. Jumped up to 600lbs for 5 reps just because.

leg and calf extensions: kept it around 120lbs for both. 5x5

I had initially used the smith machine for 2x10 w/ about 200lbs, however I was solely focusing on glute activation so I placed my feet well in front of the bar to take my quads completely out, so I could target my butt.

Was too exhausted to do abs, so that about wraps it up.

On a side note this may be an icky topic I’m about to bring up but I know I cant be the only person tis happens to. On occasion, when I find myself trying to really hoist something, I pee ever so slightly just a little bit. This happens only when I deadlift, and it always happens when deadlifting up into the 300lbs category. At first this freaked me out, and I thought I might be displacing something by straining. I try my hardest not to strain at all. If its too heavy, its too heavy, but sometimes I challenge myself and try and dish out another rep, and this ends up happening. I’ve started packing an extra pair of tights in case this happens, but is this normal? or is this something that can lead to prolapsing on the reproductive organs for women? I try my very best to always keep the pelvic floor tight, but sometimes it slips my mind.

2 Likes

I’ve heard of it happening to guys too. I wouldn’t worry about it.

2 Likes

This is incredibly common. I’ve peed on my own gym floor more than once. It’s more common after you’ve had kids too. During competition, myself and most of the women I know use incontinence pads (poise or equivalent) when we deadlift. I will never lose a lift because I’m worried about pissing myself. It’s not even a thing that most of us worry about or are embarrassed about. It’s just a matter of fact kind of thing.

2 Likes

That’s awesome to know. I’ll probably just use some liners, instead of ruining another good pair of tights. I already go through laundry like it’s nothing. And now that you mention it, I kind of backed off solely because of that. I felt awkward afterwards, but like you said, it’s normal. I haven’t had any kids though lol.

LOG # 38

This was for yesterday actually. But school has been slowly eating up whatever energy I have to do other things including logging.

Agile 8

Foam rolling (only focused on my upper back)

10 min sprints (1min on, 1 min walking)

Box jumps

Light walking for 20 mins.

1 Like

LOG # 39

Got off work late so I literally only had enough time to train heavy for squats today. Hit a new PR! Whoo!

Warm-up with 10 jump squats, leg press w/ 135 just to open up my hips really well. Plus they were extremely sore from ATG squatting a couple of days ago. Especially the adductor area for some reason.

Then i went to town working up to my max.

135, 5 reps, 180 4 reps, 225, 5 reps, 275, 2 reps, 315, 3 reps, 335 1 rep.

HOWEVER

I was being a bit cocky and thought I could dish out another rep, and I ended up missing it. I set the safety pins up prior to so I just let it go on the racks. BUT, while I was in the hole trying to get that second rep I did it. I freaking did what I thought I wouldn’t do anymore. I pee’d the floor. Like enough to fill up a shot glass.

I was happy that I hit a new max, but was beyond embarrassed because three or four guys watched what happened, and all I could do was unrack as fast as possible, shove my belongings in my backpack, and run out of the gym.

So I’m no longer going to miss anymore lifts, and I’m not gonna pee the floor anymore(just gonna have to either lighten up, or wear some liners) I’m seriously beyond embarrassed, and I’m happy and filled with anxiety at the same time. I know there’s a first for everything, but damn, seriously?

2 Likes

It’s so good to see how far your squat has come so fast. At this rate you’ll be hitting 400 lbs by the end of year.

I wouldn’t worry about peeing yourself. It’s worth a PR. If it helps, I’ve lost count of the times I have let rip loud and long midway through a lift. I try not to, but sometimes I can’t avoid it.

3 Likes

Your help has definitely made it easier to target any problems I do have, and I thank you for that. And I figured the whole peeing thing wont be the be all end all, but nonetheless Its still a bit embarrassing, and I hope this isn’t going to be a repeat thing where I do that everytime I hit a new max lol. Although that would be kind of a unique signature move to have lol. And ive ripped ass so many times in my old gym lol, I have shame in doing that though lol

1 Like

also another good song I’ve been listening to on and off for the past two years?

1 Like

This isn’t training related, but I’m not sure if I care or not.

1. I’m having odd feelings. They aren’t even bad, but they are all over the place.
    I find myself getting anxious over how far my training has come. I cant really put into words this exact feeling, but ill try later on if I do come up with something.

2. My step-father had a heart attack, and my mom is coping with this in a way that probably isn’t even human. I’ve never seen a woman so calm about something like this. But I can see her togetherness is keeping my stepdad calm as well, which is good.

3. My brother seems to be slipping back into his ways again, and i’m not sure what I can do about it (nothing, probably. )

4. Being a young married couple is weird sometimes. It’s just… I’m pretty sure older married couples probably don’t think about or do half of the weird things we do, but then again we don’t have kids, and I go to school (work on weekends), while he just works. After that all we do is play around, and be weird 21 year olds.

5. At my gym two days ago, on heavy squat day, some ladies who I used to see at my other gym were impressed with my poundage, and gave my number to a coach that works at the University of Texas, in the Austin area? He called me and we just ran down my training (gave him a rough outline of what I do in a month, since I sometimes add a couple things and take away a couple of things), and we talked about him becoming my trainer. There is a little voice in the back of my head that is telling me to kindly refuse this offer. I’m not sure why just yet, but I also feel bad for feeling this way, because I don’t really know him, he probably is a good coach (or a decent one), he is also the coach of a powerlifting team that competes in the Dallas area too, so I’m not sure why I feel like this, but a reason could be that I am beyond hesitant to train with someone who doesn’t have my best interest at hand, and on the phone his voice sounded so condescending and cocky, that I almost hung up. I’m gonna have to sit and think HARD about this, because I know I’m not the best of the best, but I train to the best of my ability, I read up and study on training methods, and slowly take out and put in what does and doesn’t benefit me. So I don’t know yet.

6. dad bought me a new pair of knee wrap/brace thingymabobs, new belt (is too small so I’m gonna have to switch it), and some Oly shoes (finally), and some chalk (FINALLY).

7. Today was so fast paced from when I woke up this morning, to when I clocked out from work. And because of this, most of everything I ate today was super high in calories, and in sugar. Woke up and ate through a dozen donuts, had two of the most sugary frappucinos that Starbucks had to offer, then on my break I made two round trips around the warehouse and sampled everything from soup, chicken, rice, salad, pretzels, artichokes, to salmon, salami, beef ribs, frozen pinapples, and protein drink mixes. On my way home I had two orders of 20 piece chicken nuggets from the Golden Arches (McDonalds lol), at home I had three sandwiches, and drank the rest of this 32 oz. sprite I’ve had in the fridge from three days ago.

I’m not going to complain about a damn thing involving my weight because 80% of the time I watch my diet like a hawk, and the other percentages go straight into hard training, which balances out everything, but DAMN. I haven’t shoveled this much food into my trap since I moved apartments.

1. I’m upset with myself on hard it is to not curse so much. Its like I season every other odd sentence with the word “damn”, “shit” and “fuck”. And its taking a lot of willpower to slow down and track my words while simultaneously filtering them.

How does everyone go about not being like, “What the hell are you doing?”, or “Who taught you how to train?”,or “Why are you even here?” in the gym? I already had to accommodate myself at my previous gym with all the inexperienced women who used BOSU balls, pink dumbells, did thousands of crunches, wore retarded waist trainers, did 2 hours worth of cardio, texting on or at the machines for 10 mins while I try to patiently wait to use them without shoving them out of the way, etc. BUT.

I’m seeing an entirely new monster at this mixed gym I go to. Not only is it crowded almost every damn day, at every 2 hour interval of the day, but my mind is literally setting itself to default during my breathers as I look around and hone in on all of the terrible form, half/quarter reps (squatting and benching), rounded backs during deads, nothing but burnout sets, and the like (Theres not a problem with that if used wisely). And the thing that tops the cake of all cakes is seeing men, doing tricep extensions, lat pulldowns, cable rows, and DB work WITH A DAMN WEIGHT BELT ON. Really? Am I missing something?

Look, I know I am particularly a nobody, I don’t draw attention to myself, and I don’t think too highly of myself whatsoever, and I’m human just like every last soul on this planet, but it’s hurting my whatchamacallit severely so see this fuckery (excuse the language), going on in the new gym I go to. And I’m wondering should something slowly be said? Or should these folks be left alone to their own demise? I know no one would even think twice to listen to my advice. I mean I’m a 21 year old 5 foot young woman. I don’t think anyone would want to take an ego bruise from me lol

2 Likes

And the last of my thought vomit I want to spew out here for the night is a thought or “vision” (for lack of a better word), that I have been having for almost 6 months now. I feel no sympathy for the vast majority of the human population who has this immense need to be “so special”, “so unique”, “only me, no one else”, I do and think this way, and that’s what sets me apart from everyone else".

First off, looking at the sheer number of beating hearts on this planet I think its safe to say, that there probably aren’t that many topics ranging higher than the number 5 that every human doesn’t think about at least once a day. And I mean every topic from going to the bathroom, to sex, to emotions, to cars, to kids, to drugs, to thinking outside of the box, to being imaginative, to thought processes, to food, how to eat, history, ways of living, heritage, culture, and every other thought capable of being thought of by man.

To any other person I would probably get called “a pessimist”, “party pooper”, “miserable”, “depressed”, “close-minded”, but believe it or not I’m beyond optimistic, goofy as all out doors, too kind for my own good, considerate,Christian, and passionate about all things beautiful. And I know I might sound something short of a communist, but there’s too many of us on this earth, at every given moment to think that we are that fucking different from the next person we see walking on the street, driving next to us, sitting next to us, talking on the phone, etc. And I stand firm on the belief that we as humans are entirely more alike than we are different, by a huge landslide.

We fall short, we’re violent and primitive sometimes, we are apex predators, we gravitate towards knowledge and practicing science, we always look for an answer to something somewhere, I mean, if you look at it from the view of some outer space terrestrial being, we operate something similar to a giant mass when push comes to shove. I know we are unique and different, in our own ways in how we get from point A to Z, and every letter in between, but at the end of the day we all wish to reach point Z, eventually.

I know we all look and talk differently, we have different DNA, fingerprints each to our own, and I know everyone is beautifully crafted differently from one another every so VERY slightly in our personalities, but at the same time we kind of aren’t. Am I making sense to anyone? And that’s why I get annoyed to the highest degree when I hear, “no one is like me”, “cant nobody do me like I do”, “the one and only blah blah blah”. And I think a ton of people on this planet get scared by the fact of how insignificant they seem amongst the masses. It used to scare me for all of a few hours before I came to the conclusion about how strong as a whole the human race could become if we literally meshed ourselves into a giant smooth flowing machine.

Sure no one would notice you as the individual, but I think of it like this: you don’t pay attention to the individual threads of a woven blanket, but you appreciate the blanket as a whole for the warmth and comfort it provides. So every strong, intelligent, kind, and thoughtful being working together as a giant mass for the greater benefit is what I’ve been thinking about non-stop. I know I sound like some “world peace”, hippie advocate, or something short of a communist, but its what ive been thinking about. Feel free to disagree with me, but this is just something that has kept me up into the late hours of the night.

3 Likes

It’ll pass. I think it may be that you are subconsciously afraid you’ll lose your progress. You won’t.

Bugger. Hope he recovers well

There comes a point beyond which a person’s actions cease to be your responsibility no matter how much you love them and it becomes instead a matter of protecting yourself from the repercussions of their actions.

You’d be surprised

Is his team successful? If it is, that suggests he is a good coach (name?) and it will be well worth at least trying out training with him. You liking him has nothing to do with him pointing you in the right direction. Besides, he may well come across as cocky initially but be a good person to be around. A fair few guys in the sport are just confirmed AF and can initially come cross as cocky.

You’ll have fun with these. What wraps? Or sleeves?

You may not like to hear me talk. Australians swear a lot. We use some words in unexpected ways.

Experience. After a while you stop caring, because those people aren’t important to you.

Say nothing. They don’t want advice. Eventually you’ll get an eye for who is worth your time and who isnt.

What’s happening to you is that you’re beginning to actually know something about training. You know how much of a difference it made to you, and want others to benefit like you have. Unfortunately, they don’t necessarily feel like they need to know anything new, which is why they train as they do. Over time you’ll know more, and know even more keenly how much more you can learn which tends to reduce the desire to correct idiots and also helps identify those worth helping.

Wise words Mark.

1. My stepdad is doing a lot better, but they’ve having to cut his calories literally in half until they can get his hormone levels and everything back on track, and hes not liking it one bit. But he’s only 36-37, and he scared all of us, but we are all here to help him.

2. I do realize my brother is going to have to fix himself, and there isn’t much i can do, but sometimes i feel horrible just watching him hurt himself like he does. Espeacially since I’m “baby sister”, and once mom and dad aren’t here i’d hate to have to leave him by himself in order for him to get better, but i agree. My mind is always telling me all the smart and wise stuff to do, but my heart likes to jump in the way everytime.

3. What weird things do you guys do? I’m curious. lol

4. As for the coach dude, i can understand not having to like him, And his last name started with an A. I wasn’t really too engaged in conversation, and i was just listening and being polite on his offers and whatnot. So we will see. And he mentioned the name of his team, cant remember it but if he calls back ill write it down, but i remember looking up the team on powerlifting watch and i didn’t see them anywhere whatsoever, nor did i see his name.

5. Wraps are from Grizzly Fitness. I ordered them offline black with red lines going down them. 45 bucks. Everything else I ordered from Rogue.

6. I like your voice. If no one else best believe Mearra likes your voice lol. And throw down some lingo please. I kind of want to learn some more bad words, even though i shouldn’t lol.

7. Yeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i realize its just me trying to be of assistance for everyone, which isn’t really beneficial unless we are both on the same page. And i am by no means a professional, but i just want to help them sometimes. But i’d rather not care, waaaayyy less energy is consumed lol.

8. And i do anxious over that feeling of losing progress. I’m just gonna let it pass whenever it does. Its been going on ever since i hit 315 for deads. But I’m glad its normal to have these feelings.

1 Like

Well, we like road trips. Also binge watching TV series. OK, so those aren’t weird.

Well, cunt is probably the Aussiest swearword. We use it a lot, negatively and positively and also neutrally. Also shithouse. Plus all the usual stuff. It’s also more acceptable to swear socially I think. At work unless the public are around the air is usually quite blue.

1 Like

You don’t. You sound like someone with enough intelligence to look around you and just see other people as they are, which is all essentially the same. I completely understand your thoughts running in this direction, especially with your political and social climate.

In very broad terms, there could be just one commandment that covers all aspects of life and if followed would almost guarantee relative peace and prosperity which, if spoken by an Australian, would be:

Don’t be a cunt

I think it’s a function of intelligence. Look at animals: the more intelligent the animal, the more of an arsehole to its own kind and others it will be. Look at chimpanzees. They are absolute pricks! The only animals worse are humans, and that’s just because we have more gadgets. The upside of intelligence is that you get instances of extreme kindness too, although I am massively cynical in respect to those. I always, ALWAYS suspect an ulterior motive when I see unexpected acts of kindness.

3 Likes

You might enjoy this

1 Like

Very well said. My wife and I had a very similar discussion about this the other night.

Our discussion actually may have been sparked after watching the “Jim Jefferies: Freedumb” skit on Netflix.

1 Like

That’s adorable. lol. the typical weird stuff we do is like sit on our balcony with no underwear on, and poke fun of all the people who walk under our porch (we live on the second story), and eat whatever sandwich concoction we came up with.

Ugh. tell me about it. Americans are the bastard children that went off and did their own thing.

2 Likes