Enough With The 'Spartan Training'

The best thing CrossFit and GymJones type training has going for it is the zealotry by its followers. People who follow these systems believe in it, and therefore succeed. No matter how mindless it is to drain yourself every workout and risk injury because of it.

I’m sure these guys could’ve gotten better results more “traditional” programs, given the same “atmosphere” Twight created in his gym.

[quote]gearsighted wrote:
I’m not saying that they didn’t or wouldn’t, I’m saying that it would be silly to use steroids to gain this physique. That looks like a guy who added whole-body movements and high-intensity conditioning along with a sound nutritional program to a semi-fit physique. If he was using anabolics I think he might have wasted his money![/quote]

Agreed. These guys were in great shape, but taking it any farther than that just says a whole lot about the people throwing the accusations.

If after 2 years you don’t have the build (whether or not it’s under a little fat) of the actors in that movie, then I have to question how hard you are training and how much you are eating. That people consider such a physique unattainable without drugs is laughable.

Isn’t it quite sad that so many people on this site are so quick to call steriods when ever they become envious of another’s physique.

Sometimes I think that the people who read T-Nation should be more educated when it comes to these sort of things but then I am rudely awakened. Many here are no better than the couch potatoes they are eager to ridicule.

None of these guys look like they have taken steriods! My God! Wake up! They just worked really hard to attain physiques that were intended to be wirey. Can I be sure that they never used? No. But I find it funny that so many here are so confident that they did.

It says more about what you HAVEN’T achieved than about what they have.

And do you know what? I don’t post here often but whenever I try and contribute, I make a quick check of peoples profiles to see if the ‘eductated’ opinions they are giving match their own progress. They rarely do. And it seems many on this site are willing to post hundreds, maybe thousands of times but never get round to adding their stats. Funny that.

Q.

I’d like to know what these actors ate too.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I’d like to know what these actors ate too. [/quote]

Food.

I’m confused as to which of these actors it is that everyone thinks took steroids.

It’s not like they went out and hired a bunch of 150lb actors and they all added 50lbs of LBM in 12 weeks.

I’m sure that most of the actors/extras were already in good shape. The training seems to have been designed to increase athleticism and reduce body fat, more than increas lean body mass.

My thoughts are that if any of the actors used steroids, it was in order to speed recovery between workouts and offset the barely minimal food intake.

For those of you that think you can only attain such a physique from using, then you may want to step up your intensity and eat a little more.

Just my .02 worth.

[quote]BMMack wrote:
What the hell is a “floor wiper” (from the “300 workout”) anyway?[/quote]

Load 135 on a bar, and hold it above your chest while lying down (think floor press,) then raise your feet to touch the plates on the right side, back down to floor, and then up to the plates on the left side. That’s one rep.

I tried them a few days ago and wasn’t impressed. It’s a novelty exercise more than anything.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
BMMack wrote:
What the hell is a “floor wiper” (from the “300 workout”) anyway?

Load 135 on a bar, and hold it above your chest while lying down (think floor press,) then raise your feet to touch the plates on the right side, back down to floor, and then up to the plates on the left side. That’s one rep.

I tried them a few days ago and wasn’t impressed. It’s a novelty exercise more than anything.[/quote]

By novelty exercise you mean functional- hardcore-caveman-Super Secret Russian-training, right?

haha.

Sounds like a great way to blow out a shoulder for only a weird ab stimulus.

There’s no way someone can weigh 160-190 lbs at 5’-9" to 6’ tall and have visable abs without steroids. Period.

Hello?..

Is this thing on?

[quote]oboffill wrote:

By novelty exercise you mean functional- hardcore-caveman-Super Secret Russian-training, right?

haha.
[/quote]

Yes, comrade. But if the Americans find out they will kill all the mammoth.

[quote]derek wrote:
There’s no way someone can weigh 160-190 lbs at 5’-9" to 6’ tall and have visable abs without steroids. Period.

Hello?..

Is this thing on?[/quote]

They were likely on that creatine stuff!

This was my favorite part (about the fourth paragraph):

“Many observers got hung up on the penalty part, or the fact that one penalty session was called ?Loser?s Redemption?. One individual commented, ?You call people ?losers?? That?s unkind.?”

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
derek wrote:

Hello?..

Is this thing on?

They were likely on that creatine stuff!

This was my favorite part (about the fourth paragraph):

“Many observers got hung up on the penalty part, or the fact that one penalty session was called ?Loser?s Redemption?. One individual commented, ?You call people ?losers?? That?s unkind.?”
[/quote]

I loved that part too! “Unkind”. I understand that these guys were not real-life Sparta warriors but I bet they tried to put themselves in that “headspace” while training. I have a feeling that the word “unkind” was not in thier vocabulary.

How sensitive some people are huh?

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
BMMack wrote:
What the hell is a “floor wiper” (from the “300 workout”) anyway?

I tried them a few days ago and wasn’t impressed. It’s a novelty exercise more than anything.[/quote]

If we’re thinking of the same move (pictured above, usually done without the swiss ball), it’s far from a novelty.

Sometimes known as a windshield wiper (especially if done hanging from a pull-up bar), or a supine hip rotation, or a lying leg arc, or a rainbow, it’s a great ab movement that works trunk rotation.

The 135 on the bar is probably just to stabilize the upper body, but you could use DBs or the side base of a power rack or smith machine instead.

A fascinating article. Cheers for the info.

[quote]gearsighted wrote:
I’m not saying that they didn’t or wouldn’t, I’m saying that it would be silly to use steroids to gain this physique. That looks like a guy who added whole-body movements and high-intensity conditioning along with a sound nutritional program to a semi-fit physique. If he was using anabolics I think he might have wasted his money![/quote]

2x

Not quite. Your legs don’t move side-to-side, but up and down with a slight pull to the side. And the 135 does nothing to stabilize you.

It’s difficult to explain online, give it a shot next time you work out, you’ll see what I mean.

[quote]Modi wrote:
It’s not like they went out and hired a bunch of 150lb actors and they all added 50lbs of LBM in 12 weeks.[/quote]

A well known Hollywood trainer (worked with Ryan Reynolds and Ed Norton among others) is on the record as saying the key is to add a couple lbs of muscle and then lean the actor way down (<8%) to make the appearance of more muscularity - especially if time is short.

Looks like what they did in 300 as well.

[quote]Load 135 on a bar, and hold it above your chest while lying down (think floor press,) then raise your feet to touch the plates on the right side, back down to floor, and then up to the plates on the left side. That’s one rep.
[/quote]

Thanks. Been wondering about those myself.