Enough Squatting Volume?

Oh sweet jesus, no.

Don’t turn this another fucking SS/Rip vs. 5/3/1/Jim -thread.

1 Like

I’m not. I like them both, and they have no problems with each other either. I was jist posting that video to show that Mark’s methods have some merit to them. I’ll post Jim’s PR here too (to be fair).

I’ll probably never get to this level of expertise/strength.

2 Likes

Why squat outside a power rack?
Why walk out a squat from a monolift ?

Great.

Actually, I think both of them have done more remarkable lifts than these ones (I remember Jim pulling and squatting +700lbs raw in his prime, but might be wrong). Anyway, good content.

Jim has an article about walking out squats

2 Likes

For the sake of saying you walked out a PR, and for the adrenaline that comes with the fear of failure (no pins to catch the bar…what happens? Could add that extra oomph on the last rep.).

Wow. That’s damned impressive.

I gotta ask; what leads you to believe this was a PR squat? It was set after Jim left powerlifting.

I couldn’t find anything else online, so I just assumed. But I’m sure he could’ve gone for a set of 5 with that 600. He had way more left in the tank. If you guys say he once squatted 700, I believe you. That 600 looked easy.

Dangerous move for sure, haha.

1 Like

Now I know. Jim is even stronger than I realized, haha.

And here I am deadlifting 280 x 10 (as of today) and thinking I’m semi-strong. LOL

Remember, Jim is a very fast lifter. I’m not sure why, maybe it’s just how he lifts. Most of his PRs look pretty easy to my eye.

Google his last PL meet, there’s at least 650 sqt and 705 DL. Not that they are his ultimate PRs either, but at least closer.

His 710 DL on Youtube moved like a warmup.

I don’t think this is an SS vs 5/3/1 thread. I was just telling him where my experience came from so he could better understand my opinion on the topic.

He wasn’t replying to you. The formatting is a little weird here, but you can typically tell if someone is by if they quoted your passage or if their post has your screenname with an arrow in the upperright hand corner pointing to your name/photo.

1 Like

Gracias! I responded because I brought the SS into the conversation! lol :slight_smile:

Hey everyone, I have another question. I calculated my Training Maxes using the method outlined in the book (I took a week to calculate my maxes for the four lifts, and then used 90% of this as the TM). For example, the week before I started 5/3/1, I squatted 270 for 6 reps. I went for a 7th, I failed. So, using the Weight* Reps* .0333 + Weight Formula, I ended up with a Squat TM of 290. Does this sound right? I hit 245 x 10 on Monday in the 5+ set, but I read on the forums that your TM should be your 5RM. Help would be appreciated. Thanks all

Good enough. If it is too heavy, go lighter.

2 Likes

Is there a certain # of reps I should aim for in my 5/3/1+ week?