T Nation

Enough Booze Enough?

[quote]Aggv wrote:
It amazes me how we as a society demonize tobacco, and weed as if they’re the bane of human existence. All the while promoting and encouraging people to drink themselves stupid.

i can smoke a pack of cigarettes and live.
I can smoke weed til i pass out, and i’ll wake up hungry in a few hours.
Drink a bottle of good ole’ american jack daniels and that’s lights out forever.

I’m not advocating implementing the same draconian laws which apply to tobacco and weed for alcohol, but maybe stop throwing it in our faces so long as weed is still a schedule 1 drug.

Dont even get me started on prescription medication…

[/quote]

Thank you for typing this, I didn’t have time earlier.

People with the “disease” of addiction will most likely have a drug of choice. I know which one is my drug of choice :wink:

The amount of times I have seen or heard of serious problems from someone drinkingâ?¦.a lot. But yet, IT’S ALWAYS TIME FOR A COLD ONE!

[quote]Aggv wrote:
It amazes me how we as a society demonize tobacco, and weed as if they’re the bane of human existence. All the while promoting and encouraging people to drink themselves stupid.

Drink a bottle of good ole’ american jack daniels and that’s lights out forever.

I’m not advocating implementing the same draconian laws which apply to tobacco and weed for alcohol, but maybe stop throwing it in our faces so long as weed is still a schedule 1 drug.

[/quote]

There is a lot of truth to this. I have a friend who’s doing a PhD in Neuroscience. I remember him telling me that in his classes they talked a lot about different drugs and the effects on the body. Alcohol is one of the worst of the lot, which does make sense as there are a lot of people dying from it.

The only reason alcohol isn’t banned is because it’s so deeply ingrained in our culture and it has been for hundreds of years. If scientists discovered it today instead it would never be made legal.

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:
The only reason alcohol isn’t banned is because it’s so deeply ingrained in our culture and it has been for hundreds of years. If scientists discovered it today instead it would never be made legal.[/quote]

More like thousands of years.

And if these scientists of yours ever get together and try to make my beer unconstitutional, well, they will have to pry it from my cold, dead hand.

When beer is outlawed only outlaws will have beer.

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[/quote]

There is a lot of truth to this. I have a friend who’s doing a PhD in Neuroscience. I remember him telling me that in his classes they talked a lot about different drugs and the effects on the body. Alcohol is one of the worst of the lot, which does make sense as there are a lot of people dying from it.

The only reason alcohol isn’t banned is because it’s so deeply ingrained in our culture and it has been for hundreds of years. If scientists discovered it today instead it would never be made legal.[/quote]

Cry baby much? boo hoo hoo. Don’t like drinking, don’t do it.

How to fail a breathalyser:

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[/quote]

Cry baby much? boo hoo hoo. Don’t like drinking, don’t do it. [/quote]

When did I say anything close to that? I drink pretty regularly, I don’t drink to excess that often but I enjoy a few beers once or twice a week.

I acknowledge the negative effects of alcohol and I still enjoy it, but I have seen first hand what alcohol dependency can do to people so I do also have a healthy respect for it.

[quote]twojarslave wrote:

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:

More like thousands of years.

And if these scientists of yours ever get together and try to make my beer unconstitutional, well, they will have to pry it from my cold, dead hand.

When beer is outlawed only outlaws will have beer.
[/quote]

They tried this shit once and it gave the world Ted “I murdered my girlfriend and no one cared” Kennedy… Joe was a world ruler…

(JFK too, but the commies/lefties sniped him before he could do too much.)

Pretty sure no one is going to outlaw beer anytime soon.

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[/quote]

Show us how mad you can get. . . Go on, it wouldn’t be the first time.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[/quote]

Show us how mad you can get. . . Go on, it wouldn’t be the first time.[/quote]
:slight_smile:

I named my online presence here after “demon rum.” In real life I’m Scotch-Irish-Mohawk and no my way around a drink. I have a family with alcoholics on both sides, both classic full waste of life drunks and functioning and everything in between.

I’ve been through a period when I was close to the “quicksand” of alcoholism, but I grabbed myself by the bootstraps and got my head out of my ass. My problem wasn’t addiction per say, but I was letting outside forces drive my inner voice and me to the bar. I know from witnessing it, that there is a Rubicon at the division between mental and physical addiction.

I know too it is a soft and subtle border. I also know the difference between Kraken the loveable social drinker and Kraken in an alley delusional maddog sipping walking corpse was my decision. I didn’t like myself then, so I manned the fuck up and changed. I taught myself to drink like an adult, and that it isnt a race to see who gets the most retarted the fastest.

I have intense compassion for people who help, or even truly try to help themselves, but those that willingly walk up to the edge, dive in headfirst see the results and keep going deserve what they experience.

My rant complete, onto the OP’s question. I live in the US, a country founded by puritians wanks full of fear of themselves. I’m sure this is not a popular opinion, but the DUI standards here are insane. One drink per hour will get you over the limit, and potentially could destroy your future. IMHO, this basically zero tolerance policy treats us as children, which causes some people to act like children, unable or willing to use common sense and self control.

So, my advice, if you have ask that question, move to a walkable city or befriend a tea sipping puritianical dunce to drive you around, or stay home like ole’ suburban live’n Kraken, sipping absinthe in the privacy of his own castle, on what should have been DL night, but instead will be a HIT bedroom session to celebrate Mrs Kraken’s birthday. I pretty much forgot my point, but, be careful out there…oh yeah, alcohol is dangerous when you let it be dangerous to you.

weed has been around just as long as alcohol and is a schedule 1 narcotic. (not arguing about the specific dates, but over 1k years for sure)

[quote]TheKraken wrote:

My rant complete, onto the OP’s question. I live in the US, a country founded by puritians wanks full of fear of themselves. I’m sure this is not a popular opinion, but the DUI standards here are insane. One drink per hour will get you over the limit, and potentially could destroy your future. IMHO, this basically zero tolerance policy treats us as children, which causes some people to act like children, unable or willing to use common sense and self control.

[/quote]

You may not have been around but in the 70’s and 80’s drunk driving fatalities were at an astounding rate. There is a reason DD laws are so draconian now.

[quote]TheKraken wrote:
[/quote]

One drink per hour? According to an online calc I just looked at a 180lb man can have 4 drinks per hour and he would have a BAC of .08. That doesn’t sound draconian to me.

I have a breathalyzer in my car I bought off of Groupon for $30 and while it’s probably not the best, it gives me a general idea of where my BAC is. I blew a .06 one night and still took a cab home - leaving my car in the parking garage - because I knew I was too fucked up to drive. imho, you know you’re inebriated if your BAC is .08. It’s not just a beer or two.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
weed has been around just as long as alcohol and is a schedule 1 narcotic. (not arguing about the specific dates, but over 1k years for sure)[/quote]

I’ve seen beer/wine credited as the reason civilization/cities were possible in a world without water treatment/purification. But I’m also under the impression (could be wrong) that weed has been used by various people for at least as long or longer…

I think it is a “cultural” thing more than been around thing.

There is also the whole “use of hemp putting giant corps out of business idea” but I don’t think that has nearly the weight some people do. While the potential is there I just don’t think it is as drastic as some of the pot heads who repeat it on loop make it out to be.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:
weed has been around just as long as alcohol and is a schedule 1 narcotic. (not arguing about the specific dates, but over 1k years for sure)[/quote]

I’ve seen beer/wine credited as the reason civilization/cities were possible in a world without water treatment/purification. But I’m also under the impression (could be wrong) that weed has been used by various people for at least as long or longer…

I think it is a “cultural” thing more than been around thing.

There is also the whole “use of hemp putting giant corps out of business idea” but I don’t think that has nearly the weight some people do. While the potential is there I just don’t think it is as drastic as some of the pot heads who repeat it on loop make it out to be. [/quote]

The book ‘A History of the World in Six Glasses’ by Tom Standage goes into a good bit of detail as to why booze is so culturally ingrained. In short he agrues, yes, it was a necessary ingredient in the success of civilizations.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]bluebrasil wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Be careful, Sen. You might get sucked down deep enough into the quicksand that you can’t get out. I mean that sincerely and as a real, live online buddy.[/quote]

Push, really, if he is in Ireland (and used to be in Scotland)…

[/quote]

He’s not.

My god, man, whatever you do please don’t try and correlate Irish “normalcy” in regards to alcohol consumption with what’s good and bad for my friend, Sen Winchester Say.
[/quote]

it is true that strong drink is a bad thing. however it amazes me the american attitude on this forum to drink,given their extremely liberal use of other much more deadly items.

yes i do mean guns

seriously, a machine gun in the hands of a 9 year old

that is astonishing.

and all the arguments about the amendment to the constitution doesnt change the fact that whoever allows children to carry guns is a fool.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
You may have a problem, but not nearly as bad as this guy:

[/quote]

I am having a hard time believing that anyone who seriously budgets for wine and beer is an alcoholic.

Not enough bang for the buck.

[quote]bluebrasil wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]bluebrasil wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Be careful, Sen. You might get sucked down deep enough into the quicksand that you can’t get out. I mean that sincerely and as a real, live online buddy.[/quote]

Push, really, if he is in Ireland (and used to be in Scotland)…

[/quote]

He’s not.

My god, man, whatever you do please don’t try and correlate Irish “normalcy” in regards to alcohol consumption with what’s good and bad for my friend, Sen Winchester Say.
[/quote]

it is true that strong drink is a bad thing. however it amazes me the american attitude on this forum to drink,given their extremely liberal use of other much more deadly items.

yes i do mean guns

seriously, a machine gun in the hands of a 9 year old

that is astonishing.

and all the arguments about the amendment to the constitution doesnt change the fact that whoever allows children to carry guns is a fool. [/quote]

On behalf of gun-owning Americans, I would like to invite you over to the Gun Control III thread, where any number of us would be happy to counter your poorly-worded arguments.

This thread is supposed to be about excessive drinking.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[/quote]

No.

She obviously wasn’t used to guns. She couldn’t control the recoil. Obviously she should’ve received more training and started handling guns at a younger age and this never would’ve happened.