T Nation

Enough Booze Enough?

[quote]TheKraken wrote:
My rant complete, onto the OP’s question. I live in the US, a country founded by puritians wanks full of fear of themselves. I’m sure this is not a popular opinion, but the DUI standards here are insane. One drink per hour will get you over the limit, and potentially could destroy your future. IMHO, this basically zero tolerance policy treats us as children, which causes some people to act like children, unable or willing to use common sense and self control.
[/quote]

One drink per hour? According to an online calc I just looked at a 180lb man can have 4 drinks per hour and he would have a BAC of .08. That doesn’t sound draconian to me.

I have a breathalyzer in my car I bought off of Groupon for $30 and while it’s probably not the best, it gives me a general idea of where my BAC is. I blew a .06 one night and still took a cab home - leaving my car in the parking garage - because I knew I was too fucked up to drive. imho, you know you’re inebriated if your BAC is .08. It’s not just a beer or two.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
weed has been around just as long as alcohol and is a schedule 1 narcotic. (not arguing about the specific dates, but over 1k years for sure)[/quote]

I’ve seen beer/wine credited as the reason civilization/cities were possible in a world without water treatment/purification. But I’m also under the impression (could be wrong) that weed has been used by various people for at least as long or longer…

I think it is a “cultural” thing more than been around thing.

There is also the whole “use of hemp putting giant corps out of business idea” but I don’t think that has nearly the weight some people do. While the potential is there I just don’t think it is as drastic as some of the pot heads who repeat it on loop make it out to be.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:
weed has been around just as long as alcohol and is a schedule 1 narcotic. (not arguing about the specific dates, but over 1k years for sure)[/quote]

I’ve seen beer/wine credited as the reason civilization/cities were possible in a world without water treatment/purification. But I’m also under the impression (could be wrong) that weed has been used by various people for at least as long or longer…

I think it is a “cultural” thing more than been around thing.

There is also the whole “use of hemp putting giant corps out of business idea” but I don’t think that has nearly the weight some people do. While the potential is there I just don’t think it is as drastic as some of the pot heads who repeat it on loop make it out to be. [/quote]

The book ‘A History of the World in Six Glasses’ by Tom Standage goes into a good bit of detail as to why booze is so culturally ingrained. In short he agrues, yes, it was a necessary ingredient in the success of civilizations.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]bluebrasil wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Be careful, Sen. You might get sucked down deep enough into the quicksand that you can’t get out. I mean that sincerely and as a real, live online buddy.[/quote]

Push, really, if he is in Ireland (and used to be in Scotland)…

[/quote]

He’s not.

My god, man, whatever you do please don’t try and correlate Irish “normalcy” in regards to alcohol consumption with what’s good and bad for my friend, Sen Winchester Say.
[/quote]

it is true that strong drink is a bad thing. however it amazes me the american attitude on this forum to drink,given their extremely liberal use of other much more deadly items.

yes i do mean guns

seriously, a machine gun in the hands of a 9 year old

that is astonishing.

and all the arguments about the amendment to the constitution doesnt change the fact that whoever allows children to carry guns is a fool.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
You may have a problem, but not nearly as bad as this guy:

[/quote]

I am having a hard time believing that anyone who seriously budgets for wine and beer is an alcoholic.

Not enough bang for the buck.

[quote]bluebrasil wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]bluebrasil wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Be careful, Sen. You might get sucked down deep enough into the quicksand that you can’t get out. I mean that sincerely and as a real, live online buddy.[/quote]

Push, really, if he is in Ireland (and used to be in Scotland)…

[/quote]

He’s not.

My god, man, whatever you do please don’t try and correlate Irish “normalcy” in regards to alcohol consumption with what’s good and bad for my friend, Sen Winchester Say.
[/quote]

it is true that strong drink is a bad thing. however it amazes me the american attitude on this forum to drink,given their extremely liberal use of other much more deadly items.

yes i do mean guns

seriously, a machine gun in the hands of a 9 year old

that is astonishing.

and all the arguments about the amendment to the constitution doesnt change the fact that whoever allows children to carry guns is a fool. [/quote]

On behalf of gun-owning Americans, I would like to invite you over to the Gun Control III thread, where any number of us would be happy to counter your poorly-worded arguments.

This thread is supposed to be about excessive drinking.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

Drink a bottle of good ole’ american jack daniels and that’s lights out forever.

[/quote]

No.

She obviously wasn’t used to guns. She couldn’t control the recoil. Obviously she should’ve received more training and started handling guns at a younger age and this never would’ve happened.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

Drink a bottle of good ole’ american jack daniels and that’s lights out forever.

[/quote]

No.

[/quote]
So you aren’t aware of alcohol poisoning?

First week of college a kid on my dorm floor nearly died cause of it.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[/quote]

No.

[/quote]

First week of college a kid on my dorm floor nearly died cause of it.[/quote]

Not from a bottle. I’ve done that a dozen times (usually JD, too), once I did it on consecutive nights.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bluebrasil wrote:

and all the arguments about the amendment to the constitution doesnt change the fact that whoever allows children to carry guns is a fool. [/quote]

I’m gonna buy an extra 50 rounds for my boy to run through the Glock this weekend just for you.

I might just bring a bag of potato’s for targets.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[/quote]

No.

[/quote]

Not from a bottle. I’ve done that a dozen times (usually JD, too), once I did it on consecutive nights. [/quote]
Flasks don’t count.

It was a pretty vague statement to begin with. Drink a liter of JD in a matter of a few minutes, go ahead.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

Once you get into a habit good or bad it can be hard to break

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[/quote]

No.

[/quote]

Not from a bottle. I’ve done that a dozen times (usually JD, too), once I did it on consecutive nights. [/quote]
Flasks don’t count.

It was a pretty vague statement to begin with. Drink a liter of JD in a matter of a few minutes, go ahead.[/quote]

The whole point of the statement was the alcohol poisoning is a real thing, on american college campuses it’s almost a right of passage with the way the drinking culture is.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]bluebrasil wrote:

it is true that strong drink is a bad thing. however it amazes me the american attitude on this forum to drink…

[/quote]

Let’s not waddle into the land of moronic derailment. I’ve probably contributed to the Whiskey thread as much or more than anyone.
[/quote]

no problem. drink it will stay.

i did hear that the uk recommended limit on weekly drinking (28 units for a man, 21 for a woman) was based on a bunch of doctors asking each other how much they drank. clearly what they drank was ok so was used as nationwide guidance. 28 units.

I find it laughable when these threads pop up. Some nanny state crybaby starts demonizing alcohol on website that is dedicated to sports that will shorten your lifespan. Certain individuals say the same thing about bodybuilding, that it’s unhealthy and dangerous.

Is alcohol dangerous, oh yeah!

So is driving fast, having sex, rock climbing, riding a motorcycle, strong man, martial arts, road biking, horseback riding, mountain biking, powerlifting, competition bodybuilding, base jumping, and so on and so forth! Life is dangerous, everyone has an acceptable level of risk. Some just have bigger balls than others.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[/quote]

No.

[/quote]

yesw

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
I find it laughable when these threads pop up. Some nanny state crybaby starts demonizing alcohol on website that is dedicated to sports that will shorten your lifespan. Certain individuals say the same thing about bodybuilding, that it’s unhealthy and dangerous.

Is alcohol dangerous, oh yeah!

So is driving fast, having sex, rock climbing, riding a motorcycle, strong man, martial arts, road biking, horseback riding, mountain biking, powerlifting, competition bodybuilding, base jumping, and so on and so forth! Life is dangerous, everyone has an acceptable level of risk. Some just have bigger balls than others.[/quote]

Otis from Mayberry has huge big balls?