Enough Booze Enough?

How do you guys decide when you’ve had enough booze?

When I have to drive…I’ll limit it to 3-5 drinks depending on how long I’m out…if it’s an hour…2 drinks…2 hours…4 drinks…any longer… no more than 5 drinks.

If I’m not driving and am at a party or something…I don’t drink more than would get me drunker than half of the crowd at the party…this could be 10 drinks…I just wander around making sure the group I’m talking to is at least as drunk as I am.

The problem comes around when I"m home alone after She Say has gone to bed…I volunteer for a youth lacrosse program and many nights I’m up until 1:00 am working on teams, schedules, etc…I know I drink way more than necessary. Roughly every 15 minutes I’ll grab a small whisky until it gets tough to type…then I’ll cut back to every 30 minutes.

What do you guys do?

For anyone that wants to call me an ALKY…I call you an asshat.

Peas. Owt.

[quote]sen say wrote:

[/quote]

When my wife is mad enough where drunk sex is out of the equation.

Conversely, I know I’ve had just enough when she isn’t mad, and we have drunk sex.

I’ve come to be a fairly decent judge of this, just took like 8 years.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

When my wife is mad enough where drunk sex is out of the equation.

Conversely, I know I’ve had just enough when she isn’t mad, and we have drunk sex.

I’ve come to be a fairly decent judge of this, just took like 8 years. [/quote]

I tend to drink a lot less unless I’ve had sober sex that morning and/or afternoon with She Say…to be honest…we’re not big on night time sex…I work from home 2-3 days a week, so with the kids home and awake at night it’s better during the morning/afternoon…I don’t think she’s on to the fact yet that after banging I’m much more likely to start cocktail hour around 3:00 pm and not finish until midnight…

I could never figure out when I’d had enough; that’s why I quit. Or, I suppose, I woke up one too many mornings having to hear about what I’d gotten up to whilst blacked out the night before, and I decided I’d had enough.

Not what you were looking for, but for what it’s worth, I don’t think I’d call you an alky.

I’ve spent enough time being blotto that I’ve come to realize I don’t enjoy getting drunk anymore. For one, I don’t like the idea of not being available to help my family if it was necessary and for two I get hungover much more easily now. I don’t mind getting just a bit buzzed but that’s it.

So if I’m out and not driving I’ll have 6 drinks or so with water in between, if I’m drivings it’s 1-3 drinks, not enough to leave me buzzed. At home, I drink even less and will usually have 1 drink while I relax and that’s all I need.

As a guy that comes from a family with a large number of alcoholics, I will say that your post sets off alarm bells. I won’t say that you are an alcoholic. But man the drinking you describe is not healthy. Please step away from the bottle for awhile. It can’t hurt you, and it might do you a world of good.

[quote]sen say wrote:

[/quote]

Cirrhosis.

Start smoking weed instead.

[quote]kineticj wrote:
As a guy that comes from a family with a large number of alcoholics, I will say that your post sets off alarm bells. I won’t say that you are an alcoholic. But man the drinking you describe is not healthy. Please step away from the bottle for awhile. It can’t hurt you, and it might do you a world of good.[/quote]

Same here, got quite a few people on my mother’s side with drinking problems. Being an alcoholic is a really horrible position to be in, you basically can’t ever just enjoy a drink again. I think everyone that drinks regularly would be wise to take a month off alcohol every once in a while just to prove to themselves that they don’t have a dependency. You’d save a lot of money as well!

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Be careful, Sen. You might get sucked down deep enough into the quicksand that you can’t get out. I mean that sincerely and as a real, live online buddy.[/quote]

Yes. I’m an asshat, but I like you and don’t want to see you trip and fall.

the way our dui laws are, i dont even look at alcohol if i have to drive. Not worth the hassle.

If im a cop; im sitting myself at the parking lot exit of any bar/restaurant in my city and handing out dui’s to everyone who’s “only had 1 or 2” because guess what? You’re over the limit, and thank you for paying my salary. Makes the city a hell of a lot more money than writing speeding tickets…

on topic, 1 is too many, and 30 is not enough.

It really takes less than you think to get a DUI or DUAI. Been, there done that some years back. Not its even worse with all the flaming hoops you have to go through to get your license back.

If I’m on the beach, I calculate how long I’m going to stay and bring enough beer so I stay out of trouble. When I’m out, I may have a few drinks and switch to soda later on.

At home with no reason to go out, anything goes. But I really don’t like the blitzkrieged feeling the next day, so I take it easy. I apply my 10 & 10 rule… no more than 10 beers in the day and quit by 10 at night so I feel okay the next day. I really only drink beer, mixed drinks… I drink them like I drink beer. So they’re out. Maybe a gin & tonic once in a while before dinner when I’m out.

I come from a family with people in AA, people that should be in AA too. I rea;ize that alcohol could easily be my downfall and I show it respect.

If I am driving, my limit is two.

If I am at a party and not driving, I like to get a buzz but not get wasted and make an ass of myself. One drink an hour pace.

If I am car camping, I’ll get a bit more drunk that I would at a party. This is also the only time I will drink during the afternoon or even late morning. Morning beers in the canoe are lovely.

I also stay away from the hard stuff. It usually produces some type of regrettable outcome for me. I’m a beer man, and that keeps me out of trouble.

In summary, I make sure I don’t put anyone in danger, don’t make an ass out of myself and don’t ruin the next day. I only get truly wasted on occasions like open bar weddings with equally wasted family or fishing expeditions with men from my family.

I rarely drink, but when I do it’s usually no more than two. If it’s a special occasion and I’m not driving, no more than two an hour - but that’s been years since I’ve done that. If I’m enjoying a scotch at home by myself, it’s two fingers of the good stuff and that’s it. One glass. And that’s a very rare occasion.

It’s not that I’m against alcohol or anything, I just feel like shit the next day if I have more than two. And I don’t particularly care for feeling like shit. But that’s just me.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
I rarely drink, but when I do it’s usually no more than two.

[/quote]

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
I rarely drink, but when I do it’s usually no more than two.

[/quote]
[/quote]

LOL

Seriously, I was born naturally uninhibited - I am crazy as shit when I’m stone cold sober. I don’t “need” booze or drugs to have fun - if I’m there, the party IS fun.

[quote]SuperVillian wrote:
Start smoking weed instead. [/quote]

X2

zero calories, and you might be a little “hazy” the next day (no problem lifting in the morning here), but it definitely doesn’t make you feel shitty like booze does (hard to lift the next morning). And if it’s good, one hit should carry a buzz for 3+ hrs.

I’ll have maybe 1-3 drinks, I don’t even like feeling “drunk”. I can honestly have one beer/drink and my desire to have more goes away. I can barely fathom getting “wasted” anymore, it feels shitty, going to bed feels shitty, waking up feels shitty, the rest of the next day feels shitty.

Remember, Alcohol IS a poison.

[quote]sen say wrote:

[/quote]

Well, my mother (who was and is) an accountant would do the more menial book work like this. Starting in the 4th grade (I was 9 i think) My little brother (age 5-6) and I would know when she had enough about 1:00 when we’d wake up, drag her to the bed or couch, change her clothes, and roll her on her side, put a towel down in case she puked, and roll her on her side so she wouldn’t drown in her own vomit.

She’d make it to work every day by 8:00 because we’d wake her at 7:20, give her coffee. She’d slam a cup, get in the shower while I dressed myself and my little brother and made him and myself lunch, then hug us as we walked to school.

She’d come home at 7:00 or so and we’d repeat.

It got better when my stepfather was no longer active in the service and home 7 days a week. He slower her way down by making her go on long walks with him in the evening. But she’s still a nightly drinker, just less time to do it.

+++++

So, I am not a fan of nightly drinking. Sometime when I was in the Army I decided that I would only drink Thursday-Saturday. This went down to Friday. Then nothing for years.

Now, it’s a glass of wine with the wife on Friday because she’s Jewish and bakes bread and the whole thing every Friday night. But that’s it.

+++++

I don’t think you are an alkie, but it’s a habit like anything else.

Go on a midnight stroll with your wife. Take up woodworking. Whatever.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]SuperVillian wrote:
Start smoking weed instead. [/quote]

X2

zero calories, and you might be a little “hazy” the next day (no problem lifting in the morning here), but it definitely doesn’t make you feel shitty like booze does (hard to lift the next morning). And if it’s good, one hit should carry a buzz for 3+ hrs.

I’ll have maybe 1-3 drinks, I don’t even like feeling “drunk”. I can honestly have one beer/drink and my desire to have more goes away. I can barely fathom getting “wasted” anymore, it feels shitty, going to bed feels shitty, waking up feels shitty, the rest of the next day feels shitty.

Remember, Alcohol IS a poison.[/quote]
I enjoy the taste of good whiskey and everything in moderation.

Weed is more carcinogenic that tobacco, plus it smells like a fucking dead skunk