T Nation

Enjoying Turmeric

Ive been reading that turmeric is very beneficial to include in ones diet. It is usually in curry (something that I enjoy), but I have found that as a spice alone it tastes like crap. It has a chalky-bitter-annoyingly-mild-spiciness flavor that I cant stand. Basically I am looking for ideas to include this spice in my diet that might mask its awful taste.

I'm not going out and buying supplements because they are too expensive and probably have unnecessary additives. Any ideas?

Supplement Advice on Dealing with Inflammation

Somebody posted this a while back - it might be useful.

Mix it with a big cup of ‘man the fuck up’.

Seriously though, turmeric has such a strong flavor that you won’t really be able to mask it.

Frequent exposure will cause the flavor to become less bothersome over time.

^^^ Yeah good luck masking the turmeric taste.

The best you can do is add it to whatever spice mix you put on your food so it sort’ve blends in.

I personally just add a teaspoon to my morning shake.

I like the taste of turmeric when combined with black pepper. I’ll even twist open the Biotest cur cumin supplement and put it straight on my tongue. But with turmeric, you wouldn’t just scoop it into your mouth and eat it without food. Sprinkle it on ground beef and shit. If you just want the health benefits, take capsules.

make a curry

Yeah learn to cook curry. I’ve been making my wife cook Spanish Mackeral Curry every night. It’s a wonderful addiction.

Mustard, like yellow mustard-tumeric is the coloring agent

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
Basically I am looking for ideas to include this spice in my diet that might mask its awful taste.[/quote]
I’ll add powdered turmeric and ginger (either diced or powdered) into rice or quinoa after it’s cooked. Sometimes I’ll do marinade for chicken or pork with powdered turmeric, powdered ginger, rice vinegar, and olive oil. And I recently got a recipe for “golden milk” from my gal’s yoga instructor - powdered turmeric, coarse ground black pepper, coconut oil, and water to make a paste; then mix that into warmed up almond, or cow, milk.

But yeah, like the guys have said, it’s a very strong flavor so there’s no real getting around it. There’s just working with it.

Biotest’s Curcumin is $18 for a month’s supply. It’s just curcumin (turmeric extract) and piperine (black pepper extract) which increases absorption.

Funny… I hardly taste the stuff at all. I still like it though.

What you could try is to put it in the water you cook your rice, the rice will absorb it. Other than that, put it in an already heavily spiced dish, or get some Indian (from India) spice blend (and hope it tastes better :slight_smile: )

I tried something last night and it made the taste somewhat tolerable. I made some green tea and threw a table spoon of the god forsaken spice in the cup of boiling tea. Unfortunately as the tea cooled the turmeric sank to the bottom of the cup.

2 words: Golden Tea

Got this one from a top UK chef - smear the turmeric all over a chicken; give it a few hours before roasting it. Give it a try, trust me. Oh, and wear gloves or you are going to avoid handshakes for a while.

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Yeah learn to cook curry. I’ve been making my wife cook Spanish Mackeral Curry every night. It’s a wonderful addiction.[/quote]

recipe me

[quote]JamesBrawn007 wrote:
Got this one from a top UK chef - smear the turmeric all over a chicken; give it a few hours before roasting it. Give it a try, trust me. Oh, and wear gloves or you are going to avoid handshakes for a while.[/quote]

What else4 do you marinade it with? I’ll give it a try though.

You would have 50/50 mix of turmeric and cumin. Use some water to make a fine paste, coat the bird and leave it overnight. You can roast it like this or experiment further and prior to roasting make up a marinade of garlic, PB, Thai spices like lemongrass, as well as coconut milk and chilli, further coat and then slow roast.

I used to sneak it into chili all the time. My boyfriend at the time ate meat, cheese, beans, potatoes and tortillas. That’s it! I snuck it in for his health and he never noticed! It’s quite pleasant and unnoticeable when combined with red chili powder.