Engineering Jobs

The head of my engineering program back at WVU sends regular updates out to all his former students. Yeah, there is a lay off in some fields of engineering, but he mentioned that there is a huge HUGE demand for engineers in consulting and sales.

I personally think that consulting is what I want to go into after the Army. I love to travel and I’m good at coming up with creative solutions on the spot to deal with problems. Planning…I’m not so good at b/c I get bored.

I recently graduated from High School and I currently attend a prep. year on KTH (Translates to Royal Institute of Technology)
As soon as this term is finished, I’ll be starting my real engineering program.

A lot of my older cousins are either late into their education or have already graduated as full-fledged engineers. From what I’ve been told by them:

1. Is a degree and additional qualifications enough to get a good pay over there?

I think you can read up on how qualifications from transfer/international student translate into our Swedish system

on: KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm | KTH (largest engineering school in the country)

Basically as long as you hold an engineering degree in any subject that is similar to what is provided here in Sweden (course material & plan) You should be just fine.

The pay from what I know is really good. I remember my oldest cousin saying something about students with backgrounds in either Construction or Roadwork being very popular.

I think a normal pay would range anywhere between 3000-4000 USD/month (before taxes)

1. Cost of living?

As a student anything between 300-500 USD/month depending on size or location.

1. Night life?

I’ve been to a lot of hot spots in the world and as a comparison party life here in Sweden is pretty hardcore. I’m not a party freak myself and can find it to be pretty redundant/excessive at times, but if you want to see babes, you’ll probably do. Much alike any other place in the world.

It all comes down to either your looks or your A-game. Although you might occasionally find your self a right-out-of-fun-factory suckee suckee hoe (However, I doubt we can compare to Amsterdam).

1. What about girls? I mean most of them are conservative? Love to have fun?

Conservatie is really, and I mean really very relative here. A lot of people here in Sweden are pretty laid-back liberals just kicking it between business & pleasure. We have areas in Stockholm (Where I live)filled with different stereotypes. We have the hippies/groupies/white hiphopers in Söder (South of Stockholm. We have the bourgeoisie living in Östermalm (East of Stockholm).

We have the Ghetto fabulous/project-inbreds (where I live) living in Västerort (West of Stockholm). Honest to god, went I went to Primary school, we had over 86 different nationalities in a school with tops 600 students. You can’t find that much culture or diversity in any other place in the world.

I know my rants are probably irrelevant to your questions and you’re probably much closer to becoming an engineer than I am. But I’ll try helping you to the best of my ability. Feel free to ask further questions.

[quote]Asoss wrote:
I recently graduated from High School and I currently attend a prep. year on KTH (Translates to Royal Institute of Technology)
As soon as this term is finished, I’ll be starting my real engineering program.

A lot of my older cousins are either late into their education or have already graduated as full-fledged engineers. From what I’ve been told by them:

1. Is a degree and additional qualifications enough to get a good pay over there?

I think you can read up on how qualifications from transfer/international student translate into our Swedish system

on: KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm | KTH (largest engineering school in the country)

Basically as long as you hold an engineering degree in any subject that is similar to what is provided here in Sweden (course material & plan) You should be just fine.

The pay from what I know is really good. I remember my oldest cousin saying something about students with backgrounds in either Construction or Roadwork being very popular.

I think a normal pay would range anywhere between 3000-4000 USD/month (before taxes)

1. Cost of living?

As a student anything between 300-500 USD/month depending on size or location.

1. Night life?

I’ve been to a lot of hot spots in the world and as a comparison party life here in Sweden is pretty hardcore. I’m not a party freak myself and can find it to be pretty redundant/excessive at times, but if you want to see babes, you’ll probably do. Much alike any other place in the world.

It all comes down to either your looks or your A-game. Although you might occasionally find your self a right-out-of-fun-factory suckee suckee hoe (However, I doubt we can compare to Amsterdam).

1. What about girls? I mean most of them are conservative? Love to have fun?

Conservatie is really, and I mean really very relative here. A lot of people here in Sweden are pretty laid-back liberals just kicking it between business & pleasure. We have areas in Stockholm (Where I live)filled with different stereotypes. We have the hippies/groupies/white hiphopers in Söder (South of Stockholm. We have the bourgeoisie living in Östermalm (East of Stockholm).

We have the Ghetto fabulous/project-inbreds (where I live) living in Västerort (West of Stockholm). Honest to god, went I went to Primary school, we had over 86 different nationalities in a school with tops 600 students. You can’t find that much culture or diversity in any other place in the world.

I know my rants are probably irrelevant to your questions and you’re probably much closer to becoming an engineer than I am. But I’ll try helping you to the best of my ability. Feel free to ask further questions.[/quote]

Dude you’re not ranting, it’s honest non-bullshit, in-the-face information you’re telling me. Well as I said I chose the long way. I already been studying electronics for close to 5 years now and am doing my HND.

I do hold additional qualifications tough (Domestic wire man license, journeyman certificate, 11 o’levels etc). If you love the subject strive to do the best. There are times where I literally was into a clinical depression tough. Education around here is of an extreme high standard, and it’s cut throat competition.

Anyway, hmm, I guess I’d rather get a degree in the field of electrical and electronics, then further specialize in embedded system programming probably. I’ll do my masters while working probably by means of correspondence. Of course if I pass hehe. Then probably decide later on where I wanna work. I love challenges AND swedish girls hehe so who knows… :slight_smile:

A popular thing amongst engineers is that of getting a degree (Bsc or Beng) in any engineering field and then study to get an MBA (Master in business and management).

Not to be confused with a Masters degree. It’s basically the requirement for any proper manager with a technical background. I may pursue that. I’m living day by day tough.

[quote]Optimistic Cynic wrote:
The head of my engineering program back at WVU sends regular updates out to all his former students. Yeah, there is a lay off in some fields of engineering, but he mentioned that there is a huge HUGE demand for engineers in consulting and sales.

I personally think that consulting is what I want to go into after the Army. I love to travel and I’m good at coming up with creative solutions on the spot to deal with problems. Planning…I’m not so good at b/c I get bored.

[/quote]

A technical (first) degree might be for you then (Bsc). If you looking to work more in the field of research then an engineering degree more focused on the theoretical aspect on things (BEng) and less on the ‘hands on’ aspect is better tough. Personally I want a Bsc. It’s only a matter of personal preference.