T Nation

Energy System Work on a Treadmill?

Christian’s article is very good and I much rather do 400’s than plod along a street and kill my joints. However, is usinga treadmill a waste of time when doing 400’s? I am leaning yes myself. Sorry if that has been axed before.

Definitely NOT a waste of time. Sometimes I do my energy system work on a treadmill b/c of weather, convenience, or just to mix things up. If the treadmill takes a few extra seconds to get up to the speed you’ll be “sprinting” at, I’ll just run a few extra seconds so I get in the time or distance the program calls for. For example, if the program calls for a 20 second sprint, and it takes 7 seconds for the t-mill to get up to 11mph, I’ll run for about 27 seconds to make up for the 7 seconds in which the t-mill was going at a slower speed. BUT, I try to get on the best t-mill at the gym that gives me the option to just hit re-set (which resets the time & distance) when I get close to that 11 mph. Then I just sprint 'til the time says 20 sec. (or 'til the time says 30 or the distance says .25 or whatever the goal is).

Hope this helps,

Danny

BTW, after completing a 400, just set the speed at a slow walk during your RI. I guess you could set the speed at a fast walk or slow jog, but I like to be a little more recovered by the time it comes to run the next 400 so I can give a better effort during the 400.

Danny

thanks Danny. I always have been paranoid on treadmills as I feel the belt is too narrow. I will build up to where I feel like I can do it blindfolded.

You’ll feel comfortable on the t-mill in no time. It is awkward for many people at first. But after a few sessions on it, you’ll be alright.

Enjoy,

Danny