T Nation

Energy Levels During Workout

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions in mind that I hope someone would answer.

When you bulk, are you supposed to feel tired/lethargic? Personally,I never experienced that.

Low and high reps to failure is equally CNS draining right?

I don't see a difference in effect on the CNS when doing low/high reps to failure.

Is anabolic resistance an existent condition? Does bulking long-term cause you to gain more fat than muscle? Does bulking inhibit CNS adaptation to heavy weights?

Bulking isn't improving my bench press either :frowning: I've tried several training method such as training to failure, training with submaximal weights etc..
I am always energetic during my workout, but it seems like my strength gains are progressing quite slowly.

Below are my recent gym lifts:

Bench: 85kg
Squat: 140kg
Deadlift:155kg~160kg

Would greatly appreciate if someone could render their advice/feedback :slightly_smiling:

[quote]Sweetcries wrote:
When you bulk, are you supposed to feel tired/lethargic? Personally,I never experienced that.

Low and high reps to failure is equally CNS draining right?

I don’t see a difference in effect on the CNS when doing low/high reps to failure.

Is anabolic resistance an existent condition? Does bulking long-term cause you to gain more fat than muscle? Does bulking inhibit CNS adaptation to heavy weights?

Bulking isn’t improving my bench press either :frowning: I’ve tried several training method such as training to failure, training with submaximal weights etc…
I am always energetic during my workout, but it seems like my strength gains are progressing quite slowly.
[/quote]

1. nope
  2. i think so
  3. i don’t either
  4. yes, yes, no

Do a normal progressive overload routine 4 your bench. If that doesn’t work then get on a program that utilized periodization. If that still doesn’t wor then work on your weaknesses like a Westside Barbell method

Pretty sure low reps to failure is more ‘CNS draining’ than high reps to failure. Doing a near max triple where you fail the 4th is way way more draining than doing 11 reps where you fail on the 12th. Obviously this is just my opinion but I’m pretty sure it’s shared by a great many people.

[quote]rusty92 wrote:
Pretty sure low reps to failure is more ‘CNS draining’ than high reps to failure. Doing a near max triple where you fail the 4th is way way more draining than doing 11 reps where you fail on the 12th. Obviously this is just my opinion but I’m pretty sure it’s shared by a great many people.[/quote]

I agree and there are articles regarding this so it is more than just an opinion. I have never run myself into the ground hitting failure on 8-12 reps but I have when I would max out weekly.

How exactly are you “bulking”?

What’s your BW? Unless you’re pretty light your CNS shouldn’t even be a relative concern with those numbers IMO

75kg bruh…

[quote]Sweetcries wrote:
75kg bruh…[/quote]
At that weight, with those numbers, and being in a caloric surplus(bulking) your CNS shouldn’t be an issue. Just find a good, smart program and hit it hard. Keep it simple “bruh” XP

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
How exactly are you “bulking”?[/quote]

I requoted this because I think you might have missed it TC.