T Nation

Energy Drinks - Unhealthy?

Just to add on, I understand that personal experience and anecdote may have an effect on the art aspect of being a practitioner, but I do not think that it comes close to surpassing real empirical scientific evidence and it’s unbiased analysis.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

Coffe is a fantastic thing. Sociability, taste, antioxidant, etc, etc and for those reasons I enjoy 1-2 cups on the average day. Indeed I am drinking my ‘morning blend’ of green tea, honey, coffee, cocoa RIGHT NOW, lol.

BBB[/quote]

Does coffee still have a negative effect on the adrenals? Im assuming it would but am curious as to whether some of its benefits may blunt some of the detrimental effects of stimulants on the adrenal glands?

I’m not sure if it is the same with Monster energy drinks, but I think their are a lot of stats on RedBull with heart palpitations, heart attacks, and other unsavory side affects for someone who is aging especially. After years of drinking caffeine all day symptom free I ended up with palpitations.I just recently tapered off from 4 cups down to 2 cups of coffee and have noticed I sleep deeper and palpitations are gone. If he will take advisement from stats, I would give them to him.

There is likely nothing wrong with a coffee or two a day especially if you aren’t sensitive to its effects (for me coffee almost always leads to stomach discomfort and/or a headache). Obviously, 3 Monster Energy drinks a day is probably not the healthiest thing to be doing over long periods of time. It’s the equivalent of about 4 cups of coffee worth of caffeine + what ever other ingredients are in there and it’s especially not a good idea if your father is at the point where he needs them to get through his day.

I personally rarely drink coffee and only drink energy drinks when I have exams.

BBB, I hate you for ruining my enjoyment of multiple lo-carb energy drinks throughout the day. I suppose I’m going to have to figure out how to manage. I probably have 2-3 a day. Any suggestions on how to break this? I get about 7 hours of sleep a night, would love more but have a hard time falling asleep, though not a hard time staying asleep. During the day I’m pretty decent for energy levels most of the times, I’d say my addiction to them comes from enjoying the taste and the fizz. Would a simple zero calorie carbonated water be a viable substitute in regards to health?

Caffeine causes the following:

Hardening of the arteries and reduced insulin sensitivity[/quote]Is there a connection between the pH of a food/beverage and its impact on insulin sensitivity?

Refined sugar, most coffees and caffeinated energy drinks are quite acidic, and they are supposed to reduce insulin sensitivity.

While green tea, cinnamon, apple-cider vinegar (all quite alkaline foods) are supposed to increase insulin sensitivity.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

You mean like the whole ‘eat less cholesterol to protect your heart’ thing that medics the world over put out daily?

[/quote]

What you don’t understand is that I’m not supporting every doctor in the world nor every scientist. I support something called the scientific method. And besides, that idea that cholestrol leads to heart disease is much less prevalent in academic circles than it once was. Not all doctors and scientists are idiots. People need to be skeptical of what they hear until strong evidence is apparent to them.

The current picture that I see that the evidence points to is that dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on heart disease risk markers and the effect of saturated fat seems to be a question of dose, context (eg. deficit or no deficit, low carb or high carb, low fruit/veggies or high fruit/veggies, high fiber or low fiber, genetic susceptibility or no genetic susceptibility, etc) and effect.

On the pH thing, I’m still under the impression that it really isn’t true. There may be some truth to it, but as far as I know blood pH stays between 7.3-7.4 and as soon as you move .1 or .2 out of that range, you will be hospitalized and be at risk of dying. In terms of the stomach and small intestine, the pH remains relatively constant as well no matter what. Still, there may be a possibility that the acidity of the food being eaten may have some sort of other effect separate on it’s effect on body pH that may act as a signal or something a long those lines in the body (I haven’t seen evidence for this however).

personally while we are on the topic i will also be attending medical school in the states (osteopathic) and josh as i am sure you know it will in the end be your responsibility to decide whether on not you conform to the practices of western medicine but i am sure in time you will beat your own path and find out what works best through experience.