T Nation

Energy Drinks + Protein

Recently, when browsing my local convenience store for energy drinks I came across a new drink called “Monster Rehab: ProTEAn + Energy”. I tried it, and it tasted delicious. Is it an ok drink to have on occasion? Is there something that my untrained eye missed on the nutrition label?

It probably won’t kill you. Though it’s hard to say, as it apparently has about 30 ingredients that I know nothing about.

It says “electrolytes” at the top of the can in big letters, so they must be floating on top of the drink (the electrolytes, not the big letters - he he big letters floating in a can of drink would be really dumb).

[quote]Muscles297 wrote:
Recently, when browsing my local convenience store for energy drinks I came across a new drink called “Monster Rehab: ProTEAn + Energy”. I tried it, and it tasted delicious. Is it an ok drink to have on occasion? Is there something that my untrained eye missed on the nutrition label? [/quote]

How often is “on occasion”? I’m guessing if you’re having one or two a week, no problem. But if you have say, six a week, that might change things.

If you need energy and protein, have a shake with a few scoops of protein (usually chocolate), a pack of Starbucks Via, a bit of honey, and some milk. Delicious!

[quote]TheTexican wrote:

[quote]Muscles297 wrote:
Recently, when browsing my local convenience store for energy drinks I came across a new drink called “Monster Rehab: ProTEAn + Energy”. I tried it, and it tasted delicious. Is it an ok drink to have on occasion? Is there something that my untrained eye missed on the nutrition label? [/quote]

How often is “on occasion”? I’m guessing if you’re having one or two a week, no problem. But if you have say, six a week, that might change things.

If you need energy and protein, have a shake with a few scoops of protein (usually chocolate), a pack of Starbucks Via, a bit of honey, and some milk. Delicious![/quote]

Never heard of starbucks via before. Thanks for the tip! I try to only drink it 2 or 3 times a week, but sometimes go up to 5 if I have a heavy work schedule. What do you think about the quality of protein in the drink? I’m not sure about this collagen stuff, is it as bad as soy?

It’s like a monster lo carb, but better. If I saw this I’d probably be tempted over my usual Relentless sugarfree. Love my energy drinks.

[quote]Muscles297 wrote:

[quote]TheTexican wrote:

[quote]Muscles297 wrote:
Recently, when browsing my local convenience store for energy drinks I came across a new drink called “Monster Rehab: ProTEAn + Energy”. I tried it, and it tasted delicious. Is it an ok drink to have on occasion? Is there something that my untrained eye missed on the nutrition label? [/quote]

How often is “on occasion”? I’m guessing if you’re having one or two a week, no problem. But if you have say, six a week, that might change things.

If you need energy and protein, have a shake with a few scoops of protein (usually chocolate), a pack of Starbucks Via, a bit of honey, and some milk. Delicious![/quote]

Never heard of starbucks via before. Thanks for the tip! I try to only drink it 2 or 3 times a week, but sometimes go up to 5 if I have a heavy work schedule. What do you think about the quality of protein in the drink? I’m not sure about this collagen stuff, is it as bad as soy?
[/quote]

I can’t help you with that one, man. I’m guessing the quality isn’t top notch, but I can’t really say definitively how great it is or isn’t. Sorry.

[quote]Muscles297 wrote:
What do you think about the quality of protein in the drink? I’m not sure about this collagen stuff, is it as bad as soy?
[/quote]
Collagen isn’t bad but it’s not ‘good’ either. It technically is protein but they just throw it in there so they can say there is more protein on the label.

its bullshit to get the broz to waste money on it

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
its bullshit to get the broz to waste money on it[/quote]

Truth.

Collagen protein has almost no biological value.

Yer, I dont like the sound of it.

Ever heard of coffee? So much more enjoyable.

tweet

If it tastes good and you like it feel free to drink it. However, don’t think that the 16 grams of protein per can, much of which comes from collagen, is giving you any notable benefits.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
its bullshit to get the broz to waste money on it[/quote]

If it’s from Monster it’s a recreational beverage at best!

[quote]theBird wrote:
Yer, I dont like the sound of it.

Ever heard of coffee? So much more enjoyable.

tweet[/quote]

That’s the thing, I don’t really like coffee all that much. This Monster drink is delicious, it’s ice tea with a bit more tartness to it.

[quote]VikingsAD28 wrote:
If it tastes good and you like it feel free to drink it. However, don’t think that the 16 grams of protein per can, much of which comes from collagen, is giving you any notable benefits.[/quote]

For the price tag, I’m guessing it’s not really worth it then.

if you drink monster anyway then why not. though theres plenty of zero carb awesome energy drinks