Energy Drinks Overhyped?

I know that energy drinks have some “special” ingredients like taurine that you won’t find in other sodas BUT is the amount of these ingredients really giving these beverages a special nutritional value ? or is it just smart marketing technique ?

Personally the only time I purchase energy drinks is when i’m out of Spike and need some thing for a little boost. Coffee works much better as well as Caffeine pills. I don’t know about special ingredients, but I’d put them a little better than soda and not as good as pretty much anything else i’ve tried.

[quote]Horazio wrote:
I know that energy drinks have some “special” ingredients like taurine that you won’t find in other sodas BUT is the amount of these ingredients really giving these beverages a special nutritional value ? or is it just smart marketing technique ?

[/quote]

Supplements like Spike (I had a friend from the US ship me some recently) and ephedrine if you can find it are best for an energy boost.

One friggin gram of taurine or tyrosine isnt going to make a damn difference.

Most of the boost I get from Lo-Carb Monster is mental. “Damn that’s tasty!” and I get all excited.

It’s nothing compared to Spike Shooters, and I feel like a fat piece of crap when I drink coke, but Monster works in a pinch.

Here in Italy I don’t have many options for energy drinks ,just Burn and RedBull that are basically the same with a different flavor.
In some ethnic shops I found exotic energy drinks from Thailand ,but they tasted like very cheap versions of redbull

There’s an old fashioned energy drink that works called coffee. Drink it black like a man.

[quote]Melvin Smiley wrote:
Most of the boost I get from Lo-Carb Monster is mental. “Damn that’s tasty!” and I get all excited.

It’s nothing compared to Spike Shooters, and I feel like a fat piece of crap when I drink coke, but Monster works in a pinch.[/quote]

If I over sleep or something I will usually stop in and pick up a Monster or No Fear(low carb versions of course). Sometimes they get me going, sometimes they don’t. My tolerance to stimulants seems to bounce all over the place. Sometimes a Spike makes me feel like I can conquer the world, and sometimes I cut my workout short so I can go home and take a nap. (and yes I’ve experimented with full/empty stomach, with certain foods, without certain foods, etc, no dif)

ephedrine