T Nation

Endurance Training?

I’ve been wondering, if I added endurance training into my workout would that affect my muscle progression? So before I even started hitting the weights, I did pushups around 5 times a week and I did a lot of them. Now I’m wondering, if I were to do that, would that hinder results? I want to be strong, but it doesn’t make me so happy when things like chin ups for 15 reps yet I can lift heavy.

So basically what I’m saying is if I do a bunch of chin ups, pull ups, dips, and push ups 5 times a week for lets say 60-100 reps, would that slow down my progression by a lot or just by a tiny bit… or maybe even help me?

By the way I’m a basketball player but I’d prefer to have a bulkier build because I’ve always been either chubby or too thin. I want the muscle endurance but I definitely would rather have my muscle. Can I do a mix of both without hindering or even keeping muscle progression to a reasonable standard?

[quote]RaferAlston26 wrote:
I’ve been wondering, if I added endurance training into my workout would that affect my muscle progression? So before I even started hitting the weights, I did pushups around 5 times a week and I did a lot of them. Now I’m wondering, if I were to do that, would that hinder results? I want to be strong, but it doesn’t make me so happy when things like chin ups for 15 reps yet I can lift heavy.

So basically what I’m saying is if I do a bunch of chin ups, pull ups, dips, and push ups 5 times a week for lets say 60-100 reps, would that slow down my progression by a lot or just by a tiny bit… or maybe even help me?

By the way I’m a basketball player but I’d prefer to have a bulkier build because I’ve always been either chubby or too thin. I want the muscle endurance but I definitely would rather have my muscle. Can I do a mix of both without hindering or even keeping muscle progression to a reasonable standard?[/quote]

if you ask me, you are overthinking way too much. maybe it will but i don’t think it will be very noticeable. Maybe i’ll be proved wrong wuteva but on a side not why so many reps for those exercises every day? seems excessive.

What are your goals? What do you hope to gain from adding these extra exercises and reps? Do you play a sport where muscle “endurance” is important?

I would think that if you wanted to improve your muscle endurance qualities, you should spend a block of training time focusing specifically on endurance training (ie. very high rep ranges). But you should be aware that you will probably not make any muscle size and strength gains during this time.

Focus on your immediate goals and put all your effort into achieving them. Once those goals are met, you can move on to others. In other words, once you are big and strong enough, you can focus on endurance. But then again, who is big and strong enough???

By the way I’m a basketball player but I’d prefer to have a bulkier build because I’ve always been either chubby or too thin. I want the muscle endurance but I definitely would rather have my muscle. Can I do a mix of both without hindering or even keeping muscle progression to a reasonable standard?[/quote]

As long as your diet is in check, adding in some endurance work shouldn’t hurt you. However, adding in 60-100 reps 5 days a week might be a bit much.

Also, why did you choose the exercises that you did? I wouldn’t think they would have all the much of a carry over to basketball. Perhaps the push-ups since it works the chest shoulders and triceps (the muscles used in passing and shooting), but I would think that it’s really lower body endurance that is needed to run up and down the court.

I can also understand throwing in some sort up upperbody pull to avoid developing an imbalance.

Finally, I’d agree with Jillybop that you would probably do well to periodize your training so that you can develop all of the necessary qualities needed for your sport.

Good luck and good training,

Sentoguy

The reps seem excessive I know but being strong is so limited and I like endurance. I suppose I am overthinking. I guess I’ll just dedicate my time right now to strength training and sneak in endurance when I’ve reached the point I want and don’t mind not progressing as fast. Thanks for the input.

The reps seem excessive I know but being strong is so limited and I like endurance. I suppose I am overthinking. I guess I’ll just dedicate my time right now to strength training and sneak in endurance when I’ve reached the point I want and don’t mind not progressing as fast. Thanks for the input.[/quote]

Skip…is that you??? We have a superstar on the website!!!

How often do you play ball? Just make sure you don’t do legs the day of or the day before you play ball, because your legs will be fried.

By playing basketball, you are getting endurance training in an indirect way. Just stick with the basics and you’ll do fine.

Makes perfect sense thanks for all the help everyone much appreciated. I was thinking about it and I decided to throw myself into Chads Quattro Dynamo program. It’s a mixture of explosiveness, endurance, hypotherapy and strength training which is absolutely what I need right now.

Also, Tmoney you mentioned don’t do legs the day before or day of playing basketball. Basically the QD would leave me no opportunity to play ball?? I was planning on switching to Chads TBT or the Art of Waterbury after the 3 weeks of QD. If no one knows what the TBT or AoW is, it’s basically a mixture of compound exercises 3 times a week doing total body workouts.

If i’m not having a seperate leg workout, does it matter when I play basketball? I play almost everyday for 1-2 hours.

If i’m not having a seperate leg workout, does it matter when I play basketball? I play almost everyday for 1-2 hours. [/quote]

You are already doing endurance training just through basketball. Anything else you add in will just increase your endurance (even if it was originally intended to increase strength, power, or size), whether it be hundreds of bodyweight exercises a day you wanted originally or the total body training program you decided on now.

You are not giving yourself enough recovery time to make strength gains (and probably not eating enough as well), so the only things you could possibly improve are coordination and endurance.

Also, Tmoney you mentioned don’t do legs the day before or day of playing basketball. Basically the QD would leave me no opportunity to play ball?? I was planning on switching to Chads TBT or the Art of Waterbury after the 3 weeks of QD. If no one knows what the TBT or AoW is, it’s basically a mixture of compound exercises 3 times a week doing total body workouts.

If i’m not having a seperate leg workout, does it matter when I play basketball? I play almost everyday for 1-2 hours. [/quote]

Skip,

I think you should be ok as long as you give yourself enough rest time between your leg workouts and playing ball (at least 5-6 hours) if you are hoopin the same day.

For me, it seems like everytime I worked legs, then played ball, my legs were done, I was running up and down the court like a pansy lol.

QD is a good program, I think it will meet your goals. As long as you are able to balance playin ball and working out, you should be fine.

By the way, do you know why I call you Skip?

[quote]smallmike wrote:
RaferAlston26 wrote:
If i’m not having a seperate leg workout, does it matter when I play basketball? I play almost everyday for 1-2 hours.

You are already doing endurance training just through basketball. Anything else you add in will just increase your endurance (even if it was originally intended to increase strength, power, or size), whether it be hundreds of bodyweight exercises a day you wanted originally or the total body training program you decided on now.

You are not giving yourself enough recovery time to make strength gains (and probably not eating enough as well), so the only things you could possibly improve are coordination and endurance.[/quote]

Not enough recovery time? Really? I was reading that some people were doing the GPP while doing the QD program and Chad thought it was really taxing on the body but it’s okay if they were eating and resting enough.

Well, when I started up the QD I’ll probably keep basketball on the off days and keep it to shooting around instead of playing games. That way I’m getting the light cardio recommended. I’ll just stick to the program and I’ll up the basketball on off days for the TBT program after the QD is done.

As for not eating enough, ding ding. I think I just realized that today also. I’m probably only consuming 1500 calories a day.

TMoney yeah I know why you call me Skip. That’s why I love him so much. First time he showed up was on AND1. Good times. He’s doing pretty good on Houston. Everyone doubted him… not me. haha.

Don’t feel obligated to skip basketball alltogether. If working out is a priority to you over basketball, then make your schedule accordingly, and vice versa.

The thing I like about Skip is that 1) he went to college, and 2) he made it to the NBA, unlike most streetballers, who just stick to the streets and hoop on a lower scale.

He was essentially the first streetballer to make it to the association. Respect.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Don’t feel obligated to skip basketball alltogether. If working out is a priority to you over basketball, then make your schedule accordingly, and vice versa.

The thing I like about Skip is that 1) he went to college, and 2) he made it to the NBA, unlike most streetballers, who just stick to the streets and hoop on a lower scale.

He was essentially the first streetballer to make it to the association. Respect.[/quote]

Alright, I got’cha. Building up is definitely my top priority at the moment so I’ll just work basketball in one way or another.

As for Skip, I remember when he first flourished in Toronto. I live near there so my buddy, she’s always saying that Alvin Williams is so much better then him. Ha. Only thing I have beef with is after he became big after he got the fat contract, he caused some problem. I remember one AND1 eipisode I think it was to AO and he closelined him or something and broke his nose then the whole deal with sam mitchell.

tmoney1 wrote:

Alright, I got’cha. Building up is definitely my top priority at the moment so I’ll just work basketball in one way or another.

As for Skip, I remember when he first flourished in Toronto. I live near there so my buddy, she’s always saying that Alvin Williams is so much better then him. Ha. Only thing I have beef with is after he became big after he got the fat contract, he caused some problem. I remember one AND1 eipisode I think it was to AO and he closelined him or something and broke his nose then the whole deal with sam mitchell.

[/quote]

Yeah I hear ya. I guess you can take the player out of the streets, but you can’t the streets out of the player.