Endurance Training - Hypertrophy Program

I am well aware of the conflict of interest between endurance and strength training…but I have transitioned goals. However, I do not want to say goodbye to strength training as it is one of my favorite things to do. My question is, would Waterbury’s Hypertrophy programs, like ABBH1/2 be a suitable program to supplement my endurance training? My goal with the strength training is to not lose too much size from the hours on the bike, on the road and in the water. I have been doing NROL and have finished 1 years worth of workouts and started another round, but I want to change it up for a little while. Would a HT program like ABBH work well here?

I’m thinking any past failure protocol with decreased volume like CT’s Pump Down the Volume and 20-rep squats will help. They have been known to effectively add size. One set may last for more than a minute, which will force your anaerobic endurance to the limits as well as test your mental fortitude. This is important when you want to push yourself in the last stretch of an endurance event. If you want to keep the size, remember to eat.

However, I don’t see why you want to have size when you’re doing endurance. If you’re heavy, you’ll have to carry more weight around which will be a burden to your endurance. If I were you, I’d focus on losing weight while keeping the strength, not keeping the size.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:

However, I don’t see why you want to have size when you’re doing endurance. If you’re heavy, you’ll have to carry more weight around which will be a burden to your endurance. If I were you, I’d focus on losing weight while keeping the strength, not keeping the size.[/quote]

Exactly what i was thinking. Supplement the endurance with low volume, high intensity compounds (1-5 reps).

Unless you want strength-endurance, in which case something like high volume circuit training might work. But either way I would have thought a ‘hypertrophy’ program would not be the best use of your gym time.

I understand what you guys are saying, but I am willing to risk speed to keep some bulk on me. I am not racing to win, I just like it. With that said, do you think HT would still be a bad choice?

We are in the same situation. I am an avid cyclist, belong to a team and race but still enjoy weight lifting.

Most cyclists will tell you that weight training is a waste of time and will hinder your performance. I believe it is true that it will not help your performance but it will not hurt you either as long as you do not overtrain.

Recovery is key for being able to live in both worlds. I am an avid power trainer on the bike and workout 1-3 times a week depending on race season. This time of the year I put on a few pounds and than come race season get bodyfat % down.

If you would like more details on the type of weight training program that can work for you let me know. Stuff like jump squats, kettle weight exercises involving the hips can be beneficial.

-Js