Endurance Sports

Hi!

This is my goal; travel 110 km by foot in under 20 hours.

I’ve done some reading over the years on this site, but I’m afraid I might have missed a good article or two.

So, if anyone can point me to articles about endurance or endurance sports in general that would be greatly appreciated.

My training would consist of lifting weights al? full body and walking/running. I’m probably going to do a lot of interval work this summer too…
I’ve got about 4 months left to prepare.

If you’ve done something similar, please share your experiences… :slight_smile:

Great challenge! But you have come to the wrong place.
Endurance sports are great, a lot of people are not understanding what it takes to be an ultra-runner.
Keep your food intake low, focus on aerobic exercise, do the exact opposite of what is advocated to a strength athlete.

As I never turn down a challenge, I have recently taken part in a 50km race, with a shitload of hills and slopes. When I completed it, I was barely running once a week, but I was exercising 10 hours a week(kickboxing, boxing, weight traing and judo).

After the last third of the race, I felt like my legs were “hitting a wall”. I had no power left. I crossed the line after 5 hours of pain.
Even if you are above 200lbs, and primarily concerned with strength and power sports, you can participate in an occasionnary local endurance event, if you do have some guts.

[quote]Hellstar wrote:
Hi!

This is my goal; travel 110 km by foot in under 20 hours.

I’ve done some reading over the years on this site, but I’m afraid I might have missed a good article or two.

So, if anyone can point me to articles about endurance or endurance sports in general that would be greatly appreciated.

My training would consist of lifting weights al? full body and walking/running. I’m probably going to do a lot of interval work this summer too…
I’ve got about 4 months left to prepare.

If you’ve done something similar, please share your experiences… :)[/quote]

When I was 28 got ready for a 50k race in 4 months( ran 3hr 29 min.)
68.2 miles should be doable in 20 hrs.
With alot of ultra runners the thought is time on your feet,build up distance.
Your muscle mass will diminish!
If your used to running thats good. @ hrs should be easy.
What is your training like now?
Total miles ?
Age?
Body fat %?
Dr Tim

My training now consists of climbing and total body training in the gym.
I’ve also been doing rowing and martial arts, but not as of now.

Anyways, I’m going to add running, and do long walks.

When summer break starts (which will be in about 6 weeks), I’m probably going to row ~2 h for 2-3 times a week.

As of now, I’m not doing any running.
I guess that would put my total milage on 0. XD

I read an article a while back about runners, it stated that runners to too much running and that they would be better off doing strength training and intervals (i.e. run far about 1 time a week, intervals 2 and strength training 1).

Since I have about an hour per 6 km I don’t have to run all the time, so it’s probable that it’s going to be more of a walking/jogging race.

Hopefully the resistance training can allow me to stay at my current strength level. I’d prefer not too loose too much strength.

Thanks for the input, I’d love to hear more from you.

By the way, my total milage will be 240 km when I enter the race, any thoughts on that? Should I run even more?

Input would be appreciated.

Do NOT keep your food intake low. You need to fuel your body. It takes a ton of calories to fuel the activity you’ll be doing. I certainly ate more as an endurance athlete then I eat as a lifter and was extremely lean [obviously with much less muscle than now].

[quote]Maldoror wrote:
Great challenge! But you have come to the wrong place.
Endurance sports are great, a lot of people are not understanding what it takes to be an ultra-runner.
Keep your food intake low, focus on aerobic exercise, do the exact opposite of what is advocated to a strength athlete.[/quote]

The rest of this is all wrong too. It’s very important to get a lot of lower-intensity base mileage in. But even for a race as long as this, it’s important to continue lifting weights and doing plenty of more intense aerobic intervals and even a small amount of anaerobic intervals.

Anyone know of a T-Nation equivalent site for endurance?