T Nation

Endurance Athlete: How Much Potassium Should I Supplement With?

So my sodium intake is a bit high and my potassium intake is way too low. I know that the ratio is more important than the amount and I am wondering what the best ratio for an endurance athlete is...a little background, I am an endurance athlete (ultra running and triathlons, I also train muay thai, bjj, and mma), I eat between 3,000-4,000 calories a day, run 35-75 miles/week, other types of training 5x/week...

My sodium intake is around 3,500 mg/day but my potassium intake is low, like 1,000-2,000 mg low...I have ordered potassium chloride to supplement but feel like I have read way too much info to the point where I just want to keep it simple...the most common ratio I keep reading is 3:1 (K/NA)...I also have a pretty clean diet that I keep very simple, it's repetitive, it seems boring, but it works for me so I'm not looking to add a ton of "potassium rich foods" to level out my ratio...I am becoming more "K conscious" if you will but supplementation is going to be the easiest and most effective method so just looking for some advice to help iron out the particulars...

Thanks!

Be careful with potassium, i had to little on two occasion had cramping and tachycardia went to er. To much can cause cardiac arrest talk too, a doc on this one, i tried to get script for potassium wouldn't give me, a heads up a baked potato 3x more k than banana, also orange juice high. Ithink if you get your K from food your find as active as you are you will burn the carbs. Try a runners forum most elite long distance runners are very scientific thinkers.

Thanks man...yeah; I am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to electrolytes and have done a lot of research in regards to hydration and nutrition and am almost 100% certain that an optimal ratio is 3:1 or 3.25:1.

HOWEVER; about 3 months ago I went into renal kidney failure due to rhabdomyolysis, if you never heard of it...it sucks! It is caused from severe dehydration. Basically I was so dehydrated and my cramps were so severe that myoglobin from my muscle tissue broke off and got into my bloodstream clogging up my kidneys and shutting them down...it was absolutely terrifying, painful, and I ended up spending 5 days in ICU.

So I just am being super safe and trying to do as much research as possible as I am currently training for a 100 miler...if you don't mind me asking, how did the conversation with your doctor about K go? I was thinking about going that route as well...