T Nation

Ending a Cut

I’ve been cutting for coming up to 3 months now an have lost 15kg. I’ve done this using intermittent fasting, keeping my calories under 1800 and a rough 40/40/20 macro split so getting between 180 and 200 grams of protein per day. Every time i lose 3lbs (1-1.5kgs) I gave myself a cheat/refeed/carb up day where I could eat anything I want although as I’m using IF I only have 6 hours to do that. Would say most cheat days I’d get between 5 an 7000 calories so obviously would be heavier the next few days.

Recently decided to end my cut the first week in December partly because I feel I will be in good condition by that time and also because i dpn’t want to be on such a strict diet over the holiday ha but am not sure on how I should go about it :S

My original plan was to just up my calories by 100 per week until I am gaining 1-2kg per month but am now unsure. Maybe add 5 grams carbs per week?

The main thing I’m unsure on is what to do about cheat days which I love lol as obviously i’d be putting on all that weight on one day and am guessing its not going to drop as it is now cause I’ll constantly be in a surplus. Would it be better to just allow myself maybe 3 “free” meals per week?

Sorry for the long post. Am basically wanting to know what other people do so I can work out the best plan for me as I don’t want to put back a load of fat I’ve just lost.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Personally id do less than 100 a WEEK. start with a hundred then maybe when your weight gain stalls for a couple weeks increase it by another hundred. I’m not very experienced but when you immediately start adding calories after a cut it is much easier to add fat.

Dude you’re going to have to lower the frequency of your cheat days/ meals as you increase calories more and more.

If you’re actually 6’3, 195 I don’t think you’ll have a huge issue with one cheat meal every week or two, which is about what you’re doing now. That said, you will have to make them a bit less frequent once you really start to take in a surplus of calories on a daily basis.

I think increasing by a hundred a week for a few weeks would be fine. The problem with only increasing them by 100 and then waiting until your weight gain stalls is that you don’t know whether the amount of food you are taking in is inhibiting the amount you are growing. Increase by a decent amount over the course of a few weeks and then just continue to watch the amount of at you are gaining. If you are getting too fat decrease the amount of calories you are taking in, if you’re not getting fat you can keep eating the same amount. Everybody is a bit different for how they react to an increase in calories.

100 a week sounds great. I think you’ll be surprised how many weeks it’ll take you to start gaining weight if you truly keep it at +100 per week.

I’m not actually 195lbs now, those are some old stats on my profile. I was up at around 200lbs when I started the cut and am now at 170lbs. Really didn’t realise how much I needed to lose haha.

As I’m smaller I’m guessing I won’t be able to indulge so often whilst upping daily calories but thinking about it, it won’t be bad as the higher my calories get the less I’ll want cheat days anyway.

To be honest I felt 100 a week was pretty low as I was going to go straight up to 2000 an add from there. Obviously I won’t be using that idea now though.

@Rocky2 What should I expect? Was thinking it could take me a while to start seeing weight gain as I feel 1800 is pretty low for someone of my height?

[quote]Getting Closer wrote:
I’m not actually 195lbs now, those are some old stats on my profile. I was up at around 200lbs when I started the cut and am now at 170lbs. Really didn’t realise how much I needed to lose haha.

As I’m smaller I’m guessing I won’t be able to indulge so often whilst upping daily calories but thinking about it, it won’t be bad as the higher my calories get the less I’ll want cheat days anyway.

To be honest I felt 100 a week was pretty low as I was going to go straight up to 2000 an add from there. Obviously I won’t be using that idea now though.

@Rocky2 What should I expect? Was thinking it could take me a while to start seeing weight gain as I feel 1800 is pretty low for someone of my height?[/quote]
Well I’m 6’3" as well and trying to cut down to 185. I’ve found in the past I can just maintain my weight at 2800-3000 Calories. Obviously this will vary from person to person. Perhaps 200 Cals a week would be a better choice.

I think it might be a better idea to get up to maintenance level over a week or two and then stay there for a bit so your body gets used to that level of leanness and your metabolism recovers. The added bonus is that you then have a really good understanding of what maintenance level is for you at this point.

If you add 100 calories a week from 1800, you’re still going to be losing weight for probably a month or two until you get to the mid / high 2000s.

Once you’ve been at maintenance for whatever you feel is long enough, then you can throw on 100 calories a week and see what that does for you.

That’s actually my plan right now, my diet ends after this week. I busted my ass getting this lean and I really don’t feel like getting fat again, so I’ll be taking it slow.

You have many things to learn.
At 20 being active needing to loose 30 is totally wrong.
For the Xmas season you should ibernate or move to a different planet.
Cheat days should not be in your vocabulary.
First eat correctly you will not need to “cheat”.
I guess 1 of your 40 is fat, if so 30 should be a maximum.
Carbs are not dangerous when they are quality.
Untill you control the eating problem your solution is high volume, short rests.
Hopefully you will be alive past 30, take your time.
All the best !

Im also 6’3" and found my maintnance (Im also 46, btw) to be around 2700cal (+/- 200 cals). I am now 225

But i must say, the last time my weight was at 170, my mom thought I had cancer.

@anonanon exactly, I couldn’t take putting a bunch of fat on in a matter of weeks after all this dieting which is why I’m asking around for the best way to go about it :slight_smile:

@Bhappy definitely not on 40% fats! Its 40 protein 40 carbs an 20 fats. Needing to lose 30lbs is what happens from being on a bulk since starting training and never counting calories or macros.

Eating problem? Why would you say I have an eating problem? And you’re suggesting I just keep my rest periods short instead of dieting? lol

@JFG Haha definitely haven’t had anyone worrying I’ve got cancer! Am sure I can still bench 3 plates a side and won’t be long for me to get back to pulling 5 plates so I got a bit of meat on my bones still

[quote]Getting Closer wrote:
@anonanon exactly, I couldn’t take putting a bunch of fat on in a matter of weeks after all this dieting which is why I’m asking around for the best way to go about it :slight_smile:

@Bhappy definitely not on 40% fats! Its 40 protein 40 carbs an 20 fats. Needing to lose 30lbs is what happens from being on a bulk since starting training and never counting calories or macros.

Eating problem? Why would you say I have an eating problem? And you’re suggesting I just keep my rest periods short instead of dieting? lol

@JFG Haha definitely haven’t had anyone worrying I’ve got cancer! Am sure I can still bench 3 plates a side and won’t be long for me to get back to pulling 5 plates so I got a bit of meat on my bones still[/quote]

You can generally ignore BHappy. I think everyone else does too.

I think hanging out at maintenance for a while (a couple weeks) is the best way to recover after a diet. From there you can decide where to go and take it slowly.

Lol thanks for the tip.

Yh I think I’m going to go with hanging out at maintenance and most probably get there by raising calories by 100 a week unless I’m all of a sudden gaining a lot of fat. Trying to stay lean this time!

Try having your first meal of the day be a no carb meal. This preps your metabolism for burning fat which should help as you up your calories.
You can have a cheat meal everyday as long as you keep it after your workout and do not go too crazy, as in keep it under your daily calories.
Do not be afraid to go up to gaining 1kg a week. Keep an eye on your leanness as you raise your calories and keep notes so you can have an idea of what is working and what is not. If you have a troubled area pay special attention to it because it will start adding fat first.

[quote]Jayk wrote:
Do not be afraid to go up to gaining 1kg a week.[/quote]

This is the only thing I disagree with. 2.2 pounds per week is a TON. Unless you’re on your first cycle and it’s going really well, I’d be willing to bet that most of that gain would be fat. Even 1 pound a week would be a little bit excessive in my opinion.

@ Jayk Do you really think having a low carb first meal would be noticeably beneficial? Am really not sure that timing macros like that really has any benefit. Also I’m using Intermittent Fasting so only eating for around 5 hours a day anyway.

Also like anonanon said I think if I go with 1kg a week I’ll be heading for another cut in the very near future

@ Jayk Do you really think having a low carb first meal would be noticeably beneficial? Am really not sure that timing macros like that really has any benefit. Also I’m using Intermittent Fasting so only eating for around 5 hours a day anyway.

Also like anonanon said I think if I go with 1kg a week I’ll be heading for another cut in the very near future

Less than 1kg a week is fine, but I think at 6’3 170 you should be fine gaining that amount of weight. I once read an article on here about lean bulking and I believe the max with minimal fat gains was around that, but none the less it is better for you to keep it to the amount you feel comfortable gaining.

Yes, it would probably be counterproductive when using IF because of the eating window.
Otherwise I believe a super low carb meal, max about 10 grams of carbs, to start the day when trying to gain weight would be beneficial. Like I said it preps the body to burn fat as apposed to glucose. I got that from a study, but besides that it will still increase insulin sensitivity. I would recommend eggs because, as an added benefit, they can increase testosterone because of their healthy fats and cholesterol.

I definitely wouldn’t feel comfortable gaining 1kg a week! Give me a year an I’d of come close to doubling my body weight lol an am sure I’d be fat as hell so don’t want to be going through that again.

Sounds logical, I’ll have to give it a go if I ever go back to eating throughout the whole day :slight_smile:

Thought I’d upload some photos just to help motivate myself for the end of the cut and see my progress or if I’m going in the wrong direction.

Did try taking a back one but completely messed up where I was standing in relation to the camera ha and as you can tell I can’t do a side triceps pose with a phone in my hand lol